Family Camping & Overland Trailer Build(ish)

Mr.Incredible

Hey all! I've been using this forum for a while for ideas and inspiration. I have a '14 JKU Rubicon that we love to take camping but with the addition of our second child last December, we found it a challenge to fit all our gear in the back. So I started my search for trailers. I came across and 75% finished trailer with 35s, RTT and a super cool Aqualu CJ tub. The price couldn't be beat so I took the plunge.

Here it is the day I brought it home:
aca039702b09c334c3dee52ac2e3c862.jpg

I sold the RTT because it was too small for us and set the money aside to upgrade to a bigger RTT. I got started by adding some electric brakes for piece of mind when coming down front the high country and rewired it for a 7 pin.
When I brought it home it had a cheesy tailgate so I took that off and added a CJ gate.
4beeb08e89c4492387ade0b77ba4ca81.jpg

I had it painted to match and sprayed the inside with Inyati. I love the texture.
ac50ec294f3468bc69a198935bd2ddc9.jpg

It has a fold down prep area that had some hard wood inserts in, but they kept falling out so I replaced it with some custom cutting boards. You can also see the matching wheels!
5cbd52bd4499e0136806673f2eaf1f73.jpg

5fd8b2148157c14a646adda0bd3f3839.jpg

I'm working on the plumbing and electrical system to run some camp lights and such.

Here is the built in sink:
f3f54f3bb1cbb8cb22ddf55d46df4b7b.jpg

I hope to have a tent on it this week or next and try it out ASAP. Let me know what you think so far!

Last edited:

Mr.Incredible

Thanks!
This bladder came with the trailer. There is a belly pan under the tub that it sits in but I'm not sure if it will fill and drain properly. Has anyone ever used one of these?

e17d4f35908a9e9ca22b1f069c27327f.jpg
a474517295f600ed4e878e16dfe99441.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I know a few ocean racers who tried to use the soft bladder tanks. After 1000 miles of ocean racing they chaffed holes from the constant movement rubbing against the area they were stored. I would suspect a short life in a trailer that gets dusty and jostled around on the road.

Mr.Incredible

Just got my front box delivered today. My plan is to divide it and use half for the electrical system and the other half for some storage of misc. items.

Unfortunately UPS had to leave their mark on it and the corners are a bit crushed on one side. Kinda interferes with the lid. So thoughts? Too big or just right?
acc67ab282d0db7b938f3022b9fb58c6.jpg

Mr.Incredible

I'm going to start working on my electrical system over the next week and want to use one of these switch panels:
71gTvGDs5xL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Dig...01FQO9R4E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It says that it's rated IP67, do you think I could mount it on the outside of the box? I will have a master cutoff switch on the inside of the box so I'm not worried about switches getting turned on by others. My only concern is rocks and mud being kicked up from the tow vehicle but I could center it on the tool box which would help that.

Mr.Incredible

I haven't posted any updates for a while. I finished my electrical hookups:
7c6abc495d6d70bebf7c0a83a4b27bbd.jpg

57842d3b06a82d4cce554a84d958d019.jpg

I have from left to right:
- tub lights
- water pump
- 12v, USB, voltage
- side lights
- rear lights
- tool box light

I'll add some shots of the lighting on later.

I still need to wire and mount the water pump but that will have to wait until the tank is mounted.

Speaking of, I started the frame to mount the tank under the tub yesterday. Trying to decide if I should weld it in or make it bolt in so I can remove it easily if the need should arrive. Probably the better idea.

084afabb1b118a1658460d3919d2145e.jpg

03rubicon

Adventurer
Great looking build! Looks very similar to my Dinoot fiberglass that I've been cherishing for years. Keep up the good work!

Mr.Incredible

Thanks! I've been trying to figure out my plumbing for the sink/shower. Ideally, the shower & toilet tent would be away from the trailer but that's not possible without a long hose which seems like a hassle as well as too long for the pump/heater. Any suggestions?

Mr.Incredible

It's been a minute since I've posted in here, been enjoying the trailer although not nearly as much as we should. I ended up spinning and bending the axle that was under it so wound up putting a Timbren system on it and it floats like a cloud now.
I'm considering removing the fold down table so that I can make the rack have the ability to telescope. This would serve several purposes, the two most important being that it would lower for on-road travel and it would raise it high enough to be able to stand under. Right now, it's an awkward height to use the sink and annex since it causes us to hunch over and I wind up hitting my head on it. ? Just trying to decide whether I like the table enough to keep it or not. I usually take a folding table with anyway, but surface space always comes in handy.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Welcome to the Timbren family. We’re loving this build. That fold down cutting board and prep table is brilliant.

chris the ogre

Beer Drinker
I mounted some home made tables in the same location of your drop down. They help keep everything in while traveling, and get out of the way when I set up camp. Plywood and some folding leg hardware I found on amazon. Tables mount with wingnuts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior