Is there a usdm vehicle that had a 4.9 low pinion 8" front diff?

I was at the yard today pulling the montero sport gears out of a 2000 3.5 with 4.9, then I realized the front diff is a high pinion. From what I understand, these will not work in my 1991 low pinion diff.

Do I have any options for regearing my low pinion front diff? I'm pretty sure I can use the rear gears with the sr rear axle I have swapped in, but will need something else for the front.

ARDOR

3.0/V6 Gen 1 Monteros were available with low pinion 4.88(4.875) gears; which should be close enough to your 4.9 rear to not cause any issue:

Here is an ancient 4x4wire posting of an 8" LP 4.88 R&P set for sale, long since sold and pics missing, but demonstrates they exist:

None of these are too close to Oregon and the Vin decoder site I use (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php) doesn't list specifics such as gearing, but running the Vins through a dealer might let you know if any of these 3.0/V6 Gen 1s have 4.875 gearing:

Otherwise, a search for 1990 Montero 'Carrier' turns up a multitude of listings on https://www.car-part.com/

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
na3s is right, you are going to need to look for a 4.88 but you also might be able to just install a complete 4.90 axle assembly. I haven't put a high pinion in a Gen 1 though so i can't tell you for sure but you have both diffs already so some measuring would tell you for sure. I've put the low pinion diffs into Gen 2's to get 5.29's and the difference is the low diff mount, it's not hard to make work. At least you already have a Gen 2 engine in your truck so presumably your oil pan will clear the HP diff.

I'd rather jot toss in the whole super select difficulty if I don't have to. As far as I know there were no usm mo terms with 4.875 gears, so looking in a jyard would be pointless.

I ran across a thread of people saying they were buying Hyundai gears for around 700. Does anyone have a link or source for the 5.29 ?

I haven't decided what engine I'm tossing in yet. Might just be doing a 4d56 with a a4w21 or i may end up tossing my g54bt with a Toyota r150 in it, or if I can source a aftermarket trans controller it will be the 4m40 with the v4a51

I didn't actually buy the diffs yet, so debating what I want to do, i really don't want that high pinion with the disconnect though.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
A lot of the 4.90 high pinion diffs don't have disconnects, they come from AWD Sports. As for 5.29's those come from the Hyundai Terracan and you can look them up on partsouq.com

I might try and just order the 5.29 I'm assuming it's the only gear ratio available and it is for the 8 and 9" diff? Been searching around and it seems the rear gears might not be available anymore.Found the fronts in a korean parts store.

Bill hincher makes them. They are for wideblock 4 cylinder mitsubishi. I'm pretty sure I can use the ax15 as well if I change it to a toyota r150 input shaft. Down the road I may do this with the rubicon or241 4:1 transfercase

i have 1 behind a 6 botl 4g64 wideblock, then the second is going behind a g54bt from a starion.

1996+ r150 transmissions are drivers side drop chain drive transfer case. Also gives you a 2.68ish transfer case ratio. Biggest thing was getting rid of the crappy km145 though.

They run around 550. setuop to use a 6 bolt starion style flywheel with a starion pressure plate and supra 7mgte clutch disk Very nice quality custom cast and machined bell housings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94