Very small camping toilet?

tatanka48

the ages old problem is still with us

going to...

will give you many options and shirley at least one of them has a chance of resolving most individual's persona needs

don't forget big box stores like Lowes & Home Depot sell 3.5 gal buckets that are the same size on top as the common 5 gal pickle bucket just shorter

the 3.5 uses the same top adaptations as the 5's

also... homesteaders use a 50/50 mixture of common sawdust and peat moss in their composting toilets and the mixture resolves most if not all of the odor issue

if using a pickle bucket or it's 3.5 gal little brother a GAMMA SEAL LID will screw in and SEAL IT ALL IN and many big box stores sell them also

BON CHANCE

"T"

DCH109

Adventurer
River rafting outfits use a certain size ammo can and sawdust. GIYF
Something like this

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, and they are very small, air tight, cheap and durable.

A sliced tube of PU foam will cradle your sensitive butt-tocks if need be

or a proper seat rigged to stably sit over the can if you wanted to get fancy.

"Composting" has nothing to do with such devices used in a mobile context

just double-bag it and throw into a trash receptacle you think unlikely to have people rummaging through it.

Brightly colored bags with the scary-logo Biological HazMat Waste warning can be purchased very cheaply in bulk if you are really that concerned.

Until disposable diapers for both adults and babies are illegal, our disposal streams will necessarily accept such waste, no matter how distasteful to those too harshly potty trained as toddlers.

Believe me, far more dangerous and toxic substances are dumped into trash cans by the tonne every day. . .

john61ct

Adventurer
Something like this
Yes, if you want to go to the trouble of transporting the "unadulterated product" to a proper pump-out station, or disposing of into your own faeces disposal system at home

that would be the most responsible-citizen approach.

Few USians are so willing.

And pump stations can be very hard to find elsewhere.

I saw this guy in the vendor area at an "off road expo" a year or so back. I thought it was a pretty solid idea.

Bought one last year or more ago and still going strong; its cardboard so will degrade if it gets wet so be careful but is degradable so meets all the specs. I have poo-powder for the bags if I need to toss it or whatever rule I need to abide by at the time. Pretty good kit and very compact but needs to taken care of. Bags are cheap or good WAG-bags and buy them as they are pre-prepped for use.

outback97

Adventurer
Assume a compact car passing through a built-up area with no trees for privacy. 5-gallon bucket is obviously too large to use in the vehicle. What could you use for a small toilet for solid waste? I was thinking maybe a small plastic Igloo cooler with a flat lid. Any other ideas? Please no "Don't be so paranoid"---I'm in two high-risk groups for COVID-19. I've got the campsite angle figured out. Need to figure out offsite, in town.

When camping we often use wag bags and a kitty litter bucket with a removable toilet seat. The bucket has many other uses so we'd be bringing it anyway. You can see the setup here:

On a few occasions, due to poor weather or lack of privacy, I have used wag bags inside a vehicle. We have a 2nd Gen Xterra and the rear seats were removed so there was a decent amount of headroom. I am 6'4" and there's no way this would have worked for me in a compact car.

Pretty high penalty if you slip or something goes awry! Good luck.

perterra

Adventurer
Completely safe ? Ha !
Just dont rupture the container for couple years. Eventually, it might become ’safe’, its still nasty.
Unruptured is unlikely. Trash collection normally includes compaction.
When I worked at a FedEx hub, it was sad for their housekeepers and bad to be near their trash compactor. Never mind the constant pissbottles dropped off in the yard.
Fwiw,
Nowdays. When in town I poop on the sidewalk like everybody else. Just trying be a good social justice ally before somebody accuses me of not doing my part.

Laughing my ass off

DCH109

Adventurer
Yes, if you want to go to the trouble of transporting the "unadulterated product" to a proper pump-out station, or disposing of into your own faeces disposal system at home

that would be the most responsible-citizen approach.

Few USians are so willing.

And pump stations can be very hard to find elsewhere.
Oh I agree, I did the same with my Port-a-Potti in my camper, but that was easier as they was a dumping station in the little town I lived in.

I use a pett unit now and while I hate the 3 legged unit. it folds up small enough and everything is biodegradable.

ottsville

Observer
Crap in a bag, stuff it in a piece of three inch pvc with a screwcap. Throw it out when done. Big wall climbers used to do this years ago when we learned that just dropping our pants and **************** on a ledge or into the air wasn't acceptable.

Funny story - I was in Yosemite years ago climbing. We were coming down off a climb and get to the parking area to find a bomb squad all standing around chatting. We asked what was going on. Turns out a climbing party had tossed their poop tube(see above) into the dumpster. Some tourist saw the capped pipe and notified the authorities of a possible pipe bomb. Bomb squad was called in, and the "pipe bomb" was loaded into the bomb squad canister and blown up. We laughed at the bomb squad guys - it's not like every ranger in the park didn't know it was a tube full of ********.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I bought a Portapotti chemical toilet but I ordered the bigger one when I should of got the smaller one and I bought a small self standing toilet tent for about 30 bucks, seems to be ok, haven't used either of them due to the lockdown, and just as well because it never came with the instructions on what to do with each of the 2 chemicals,

I guess I will have clench me cheeks until I fathom that out,

john61ct

Adventurer
Problem with chemicals is then you can **only** dispose of in RV / marina designated dump tanks.

With the natural methods you can just put into a normal septic / sewer connected system.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Oh right thanks for that, I have never used one or seen one until I bought this so I bought it without knowing anything about them, I also bought the chemicals and the biodegradable tissue.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here’s an interesting one that one of our members has in his rig:

4B971662-4F39-4A46-81E2-3AB4F379B31A.jpeg

UltraDFW

We use biffy bag + folding toilet frame like this. Theoretically don't need frame but seems very awkward otherwise.
Bag has chemical stuff that immediately solidifies waste. Mylar bag zips shut securely. Zero smell (has been in cargo van all day when temps 100+ with no scent whatsoever).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online