shopping for off road camper can be confusing!

rpm4463

I started the process of shopping/researching off road campers least year and with so many options and models it can be very confusing. It would be for my wife and 2 kids (currently 3 and 6 years old). We go camping 6-8 times a year and I go on hunting trips also. Sometimes at campgrounds but often on random BLM or Forest Service land. We are tired of setting up big tents and unloading 4-6 boxes with stove, food, sleeping bags.... It would be nice to have everything in one package and hook it up to the Tundra. Any suggestions for the family of 4? I'm leaning towards a Hiker with a roof top tent. This would basically give us 2 "bedrooms". I don't plan on including a fridge and will probably try to keep things pretty simple. The only company that sells trailers locally is Bushwakka. They are pretty awesome but serious $$ and a little bit overkill for our needs. I don't like the idea it takes quite a bit of time to unfold and tents and canopies.

Any advice would help. Price range up to $15-18K

jeepers29

I would really consider a frog. I have had ours for several years mow and would more consider going back to a regular cooler. They really are a game changer.

mudraider

Adventurer
I'd build one to suit your needs. A simple box with a framework for the RTT will be a good start.

Sent from my pretty good android phone

billiebob

Hiker is a great simple base. Consider a FreeSpirit RTT it sets up in a minute and can be towed around deployed.

DSC_0063.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

One of the hiker options I love is the bunk bed option. 40 years ago we'd have done it. Ideal for pre schoolers.

16114966_10154067047185684_3049567385176001187_n.jpg

I am in a similar situation but my young ones are a bit older(11). The solution that I am looking at is a rooftop tent on a small trailer. I am a bit nervous about the idea of pulling a trailer. Currently we use ground tents, which we love, but the setup and takedown time is exhausting. I spent over 4 hours last week breaking camp(putting away everything and taking tents down) and there was still a lot of work to do when I got home. Good luck with your solution.

tacomabill

I would get a used RV trailer. All the RTTs and offroad trailers seem too small for a family of four and still require some of setup and rearranging of gear. And use of a latter which is a hazard for little kids -even for adults if not careful. And those kids will get big fast. An RV trailer has all the amenities plus cooking, bathing inside, also optional air conditioning if in a campground with hookups. Not much offroad capability but should be fine in a lot of FS and BLM roads -many of those don't get technical until drive some distance from a highway.

tacomabill

Hey Softwaremom: just spotted this ad for a refurbished FWC Fleet[which is what I have] in Denver. Guy left no way to contact him other than to join Wanderthewest.com, which is a sister site of this one, and send him a private message.
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum...ruck-camper-alert-thread/page-375#entry235148

He is asking $7k but has added solar and a bunch of other stuff. And it is pretty light weight.
These older FWC campers go really fast so don't delay if interested.

dmandley

We are in the same boat. We have gone all over the place trying figure this out for what is available for a family of 4 without going the RTT route. There is the Taxa Cricket but the frame is suspect (I have read). It has a good bunk setup that is longer then most. We also considered the InTech Trailer with two fold out sides but not sure about the condensation on the sides as the beds are narrow so i would assume sleeping bags would be touching it. Nothing confirmed here, just my thoughts. We are considering the Colorado Teardrop. It is only 5ft bunks but we are figuring out a way to retrofit it differently. Also, have you looked at the Bend Teardrop. That is another we are considering. They have a 6x12 trailer that has a queen and a full inside that is pretty sweet. It is simple too. Not sure about the wood construction and aluminum wrap but the concept is sweet for families like ours. If anyone has feedback on that trailer, I am all ears. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94