Trade F-150 for Tundra - Overland

D

Deleted member 9101

I would guess the biggest reason is reliability.

I have an 07 Tundra and 18 F150. After having both I would definitely get the Tundra. The only reason I didn't get another Tundra is because as several have mentioned the Tundra is in long need of an upgrade. With that said, if you don't ever tow and don't mind less reliability then go with the F150. If you want more info, go to https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...6-x-12-trailer-conversion.199414/post-2780343 to see where jnich77 and I were discussing the two. I don't recall discussing reliability in that thread so my quick comments on the two is the Tundra has had one recall and one failure, idler arm. The F150 has had, I believe four recalls now, a failure, and three or four issues that Ford hasn't been able to resolve yet. As far as I am concerned the F150 is a lemon. But, with that said, the creature comforts on the F150 are far superior to the Tundra and that is why I still own it.

My truck is the opposite end of the spectrum, 50k and not a single problem. Had two recalls (door latch and seat belt tensioner) which were minor.

Even stock my 2.7 out pulled the 4.6 or 5.7 in either of my Tundras, especially when you start to gain altitude. Modded it's not even a comparison, the 5.7 is not even in the same league.

In the end, both are "good" trucks and it comes down to personal preference and how thick your wallet is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I thought about adding that on but since they’re so new, I don’t know if the OP would feel comfortable taking a $55k+ truck off-roading. I certainly wouldn’t. An older F250 w FX4 would be a better option. But I like that the PW comes with everything ready to go. Except the tiny tires.
Very true. I still find even used Power Wagons pretty pricey around here.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No, you're not correct. the F-150 offers an electronic rear locker on most 4x4's, the tundra doesn't offer one at all which means out of the box the Ford is better offroad. Plus the tundras gas mileage is laughable. I love Toyota, but the tundra is WAY past needing a full update.
Yep I just left Toyota for Ford. Sequoia to Expedition basically the wagon versions of said trucks being discussed. North America travel stick with the 150 and up grade some stuff and save the rest for your trip

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I thought about adding that on but since they’re so new, I don’t know if the OP would feel comfortable taking a $55k+ truck off-roading. I certainly wouldn’t. An older F250 w FX4 would be a better option. But I like that the PW comes with everything ready to go. Except the tiny tires.

And gears. You'll want more than 4.10 with 37" tires. Older PW's had 4.56 which was very nice.

Which is why I didn't go that route. I'll add exactly the gears and front locker of my choice, this way.

MattF350

Observer
Id just upgrade the F150 for the reasons mentioned.

Super Duty is nice too. The ride isnt as bad as everyone says. Its not great but it depends on your tire pressure. I have mine to close to max pressure and I still got all my tooth fillings. New York roads are exactly the smoothest either.

A Guy

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I’d absolutely love to build an F-250 as I plan to buy a trailer in the coming year.
However, super duty trucks are incredibly stiff and I’d imagine any dirt road or rock section would be jarring?

is this not the case?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Wish someone would get a Tremor and mod it, so that I won't have to put Raptor running boards on my 250.

Ebay has a set under $300. My card is in a pretty big block of ice though.........

sKFwtrj.jpg

I'll likely start on one next year sometime.

Wallygator

Adventurer
This! A F250 gasser cost about the same as a similarly equipped Tundra... And it tows more, hauls more, rides the same and gets the same MPG.

And solid axle front end;)

But I have a new Tundra now and will be keeping it for a loooooonnnnggg time. (hopefully) The 5.7 is a beast and I love the thing. Is it perfect? Nope, there is no perfect vehicle but it's going to be problem free for many, many years. OP I would just build the F150. It will be fine and you have already been paying on it. Tundra will be upgrading late next year and pretty sure the V8 is history. A TTV6 and probably a hybrid version. It will be a game changer just like the 2007 Tundra was and it will cause all the other brands to upgrade. It will also be expensive. Stamp it!

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Thanks for all the responses guys.
I’d absolutely love to build an F-250 as I plan to buy a trailer in the coming year.
However, super duty trucks are incredibly stiff and I’d imagine any dirt road or rock section would be jarring?

is this not the case?

I think there are quite a few kits that would make your ride easy. Also you would have some wight in the bed while you travel... so I don't think it will be an issue.
You can keep that tuck for 10-12 years.
This what I am planning on to do if I get a big truck. (but I can't because it's a pain in the ******** to drive it in New England's tiny roads :D )
There is good threads and comments in the domestic section I would check out.

windtraveler

Observer
If you are gonna get a Tundra, get a 2004-2006 double cab. The trouble is finding one with low mileage that has been well maintained for sale. People tend to hang on to them.

Bama67

I have a 2018 Crew Cab long bed 4x4 6.2 gas F250
My wife has a 5.7 Tundra Doublecab

They get almost exactly the same mpg (15-16) and as of 80,000 miles my F250 6.2 hasn't needed a single thing outside of fluid changes, filters, and two sets of tires.

The forums report almost zero issues with the 6.2 trucks, and I have a lot of experience with them as fleet trucks in the oilfield where they were exceedingly reliable, especially for what they were put through.

The Ford 6.2 might be the only modern truck which is every bit as reliable as the Tundras are.

The Tundra does ride better, but nothing groundbreaking. The Ford is stiff, but not in an offensive teeth rattling way, just in a more substantial, solid-feeling way.
But part of that is my fault with the snow plow prep springs on the Ford, and if I wanted it to ride awesome I could spend a bit for some basic Carli goods on the front and Deaver leaves in the back and it would be smoooth.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Not sure how/why this thread is still going, but OP:
  • If you want a Tundra, go test-ride and talk (face-to-face) to some folks who have owned Tundra's.
  • If you want a F-150 or Super-Duty talk to those who have owned Ford trucks.
Both are decent trucks. The Tundra is an older design with some small, but meaningful, changes made over the years.
The F-150 is a newer design with more engine options. Ford does offer a rear locker, but for the places you are likely to go with a 1/2 ton, a locker is (or lack thereof) is not going to make or break your experience. There are air lockers available for the Tundra, though I wouldn't bother spending money on those unless you are truly trying to get into technical terrain.

You're not going to get much beyond myopic and anecdotal feedback when asking a "which truck should I buy" on a forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles