Factor 55? How about a Factor $9.99

paulforeman

You don't need to spend over $150-$250 for a piece of aluminum bling... That's just one more piece of metal to go flying when the winch rope breaks anyways. Don't hear me wrong. I'm not trashing on Factor 55 products. They seem great (although I've never used any of them). It's just unnecessary for most people. The Factor 55 ultra hook might be helpful in certain scenarios, but usually you could use a shackle in place of a hook anyways, which is safer in my opinion since you have a closed loop. Most people are just putting a shackle in their Factor 55 Flat Link if they ever use it anyways. So why not skip the $150+ social-media-influencer bling and just put a 3/4" shackle right in the end of you winch cable. You're going to be using a shackle with the Factor 55 link anyways, so why not cut down on cost? Get a good rust-proof shackle (painted, zinc coated, etc) and just leave it in the winch. It doesn't rattle if your cable is tight. Ditch that crappy hook that came with your winch though. It's working load limit is only 5400lbs if it's a Smittybilt anyways, so it's already unsafe. But just use a shackle in it's place.

Just an idea, It's what I'm doing and it works perfectly for every situation I've ever been it. If you're worried about using a shackle against a shackle in a recovery-type situation (which you don't need to be), you can get some isolators like the one on my shackle and just use that.

rSKOMr_Xi5ObWF0g3iUYKs_dW9QgYh6imacHFnwyZAqxU9WNq25O9bYUQYi9DT8mEzKRnQXrSAUQNJJkvijoRmAai5HROvq_IyJHSpVuQcyt6q0kIZq6kHMiNfp4CznAi7qipALhN0TEjyOI_0Eg7uREa7mkZqkPWv0kWW08dWHykK0pQXMvT2qHFD5xj04R_a6tJ8VGt5wVK-OWNHzupxaZ4MhUxbCkYEQdFVfldG1Xz-5JohAez1n6VuDK7UIweD776F7nBM2NJVmO9s2-AnP0L4KeXI_JjHkTQdAfKm32iEj0f26RNCAZldE6z11sDHFz9YcN_S2d0eiOjTHlgno4vBFgpVQfMspxc1aKLSK_BRtE-RC9cPCSbqqk4h8DpndCTULEFZw03WRhxXPKKOKGMo7pEB6ucids_EhavrWDDgaCXxJopu51SJ4KUxGc55FqDXozglcYBkbYRzaPEexTXk6uIYoUliuNiLYOg6Rwqup47uyzs7qTd9d4sSf_DFyYl0JMnXGc82GmVFun5z1aaAwbvxIvHMCkMsYchrXGsXvpXWxTEUHc-jhU9M0VYHAqXMAgwtEH281x2JfTzd4Xw3a7-H1QBK2JI8--2IUrXWsHznwaLuU-n3efHf_yCcXIuV5XK2r8npFsj2tT4E5tOagQcEjvmRK6Cikdjd49KkCtabnR_oMGymb39g=w1157-h867-no

FWHWwn4n_UNoUmcB2wzlRPRppyy6EUButmkBxVBaRNgW5uT6KlyLUrq1oHvcyhUXhpf7W09IHqt33-xuA8c366u-ZV_Hw5n3TGlHvMuS3J3g_CVI0JGhMBQQYvXTMAHus1FWz149u14pwM9ApEgk_ljwyiIXbbloHFlSUJnf53EzkpZeZJOE4epJ6w9qoek7eyqju4lEUaQFJFGRe_OcFdrLfjG-GugDRJrhhwZpzMlibf0_M3hGpo6nyOPhWqmAoTEHXRhWSHA7SJaQLhNDZIl65Pm4VpG9dGzYd3kdwT6a9dbPpqtWFEQAie7-Zwe2IKoPBus9boTObOgHoWzf3qtIqNB6B-TQNEIJD7E0jP2ttynOXb9qZxaw7GTzrSBgKpyJbfhIel-7LNy1OHVFueQWC3mWn-EDwmfDal2uv4yUqBhtVfX7buO-cPUoKfABQaxZw-DeH2VV2iZ-8leUHef2Kpi78sqR3es5oaXXU02ebA5FFRvxTlqBI3tdgsownrXNVyhEaDDfDf9vRCkYgtiWXt2YdaVd8SVVPdKay2WOo03hqjBeS7ro_TemU6o4VCLAtGM1SV6r7LLfUiGQ27njaRaY0XE9LIRapMPGUv6104CqkhbZePjHppdJTkayEiES9cFH4Za5gl2ZpBpG3cBWg0qGpz6Q-zVk8p_vjvcFTzdYGXGoAq8ut67GVJb_vryKbJFHsMwhRFYKrzW4KNyCBheOpv8FakyuiinxEx1G3xSlpAaRVm8=w1157-h867-no

Good luck and be safe on your recoveries.

Last edited:

Toyaddict

I pondered all the options before arriving at a Flatlink on my truck. The hook that came with my Superwinch was a monster and looked a bit rediculous. I like the idea of just running a shackle but I was concerned it would damage the aluminum hawse over time. I see lots of people have the shackle or hook attached to one of the front recovery points, I didn't want 2.5' of line spooled out and exposed.

The cult like following and price made it a tough buy for me. I feel the same way about Yeti and Apple. Any stickers from the aforementioned companies go straight to the round bin not on my vehicles.

landsharkman

Adventurer
While I agree that being a blind brand follower and displaying stickers is foolish. I am very pleased with my Factor 55 items, all super well designed and very well made, to just avoid something because it seems popular is just as foolish as being a fan boy. One should always make the best choice on what works best for your use.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have always been a sucker for things that look cool and have some thought in their design.
While I agree that being a blind brand follower and displaying stickers is foolish. I am very pleased with my Factor 55 items, all super well designed and very well made, to just avoid something because it seems popular is just as foolish as being a fan boy. One should always make the best choice on what works best for your use.
ditto. I like stuff that looks cool and works. Always been that way and probably always will.

paulforeman

I like everyone's input and value all the opinions and experiences here. Like I said, not to bash on any company, but I see a lot of people with all the anodized gear, etc, and it looks like they have never used their vehicle for anything besides running errands (meh, no judgement from me, it's a free country and it's your money, so go for it!... whatever "it" is).

I really like what landsharkman said.

Extremely well put. Thanks for the sensible use of internet commenting. To you point, my personal use of the gear I have makes the single shackle a great option. There are others who probably do a lot more winching than me and the flatlink (or similar, sorry to just list Factor55) probably make everything quicker and easier. And yeah, as long as the product is good quality and the company doesn't use false advertising to sell it, I'm all for it.

And to jadmt's point, yeah, who doesn't like stuff that looks cool?! That's probably at least partly why a lot of us invent in the particular model/platform of off-road vehicle we own.

I have always been a sucker for things that look cool and have some thought in their design.

ditto. I like stuff that looks cool and works. Always been that way and probably always will.

Good to hear different opinions and hear options I haven't even though of before.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have purchased 2 trucks equipped with Factor 55. Too much bulk at the front of the winch for me. They are made nice and have strong resale value.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
Waited 2 years for warranty shocks from Fox, ended up with a store credit for a few hundred bucks, have no use for other gear so have an "Ultrahook" on the way. Don't need it, but at a 4wd specialty shop what else am I going to spend a store credit on that doesn't require more cash outlay?

I put my flatlink through some good use on my previous truck and then onto my UTV. I always hope they will never get used, haha, but they do. Mostly at work though. I try to stay out of "winch-required" terrain on my days off.

alia176

Explorer
You don't need to spend over $150-$250 for a piece of aluminum bling... That's just one more piece of metal to go flying when the winch rope breaks anyways. Don't hear me wrong. I'm not trashing on Factor 55 products. They seem great (although I've never used any of them). It's just unnecessary for most people. The Factor 55 ultra hook might be helpful in certain scenarios, but usually you could use a shackle in place of a hook anyways, which is safer in my opinion since you have a closed loop. Most people are just putting a shackle in their Factor 55 Flat Link if they ever use it anyways. So why not skip the $150+ social-media-influencer bling and just put a 3/4" shackle right in the end of you winch cable. You're going to be using a shackle with the Factor 55 link anyways, so why not cut down on cost? Get a good rust-proof shackle (painted, zinc coated, etc) and just leave it in the winch. It doesn't rattle if your cable is tight. Ditch that crappy hook that came with your winch though. It's working load limit is only 5400lbs if it's a Smittybilt anyways, so it's already unsafe. But just use a shackle in it's place.

Just an idea, It's what I'm doing and it works perfectly for every situation I've ever been it. If you're worried about using a shackle against a shackle in a recovery-type situation (which you don't need to be), you can get some isolators like the one on my shackle and just use that.

rSKOMr_Xi5ObWF0g3iUYKs_dW9QgYh6imacHFnwyZAqxU9WNq25O9bYUQYi9DT8mEzKRnQXrSAUQNJJkvijoRmAai5HROvq_IyJHSpVuQcyt6q0kIZq6kHMiNfp4CznAi7qipALhN0TEjyOI_0Eg7uREa7mkZqkPWv0kWW08dWHykK0pQXMvT2qHFD5xj04R_a6tJ8VGt5wVK-OWNHzupxaZ4MhUxbCkYEQdFVfldG1Xz-5JohAez1n6VuDK7UIweD776F7nBM2NJVmO9s2-AnP0L4KeXI_JjHkTQdAfKm32iEj0f26RNCAZldE6z11sDHFz9YcN_S2d0eiOjTHlgno4vBFgpVQfMspxc1aKLSK_BRtE-RC9cPCSbqqk4h8DpndCTULEFZw03WRhxXPKKOKGMo7pEB6ucids_EhavrWDDgaCXxJopu51SJ4KUxGc55FqDXozglcYBkbYRzaPEexTXk6uIYoUliuNiLYOg6Rwqup47uyzs7qTd9d4sSf_DFyYl0JMnXGc82GmVFun5z1aaAwbvxIvHMCkMsYchrXGsXvpXWxTEUHc-jhU9M0VYHAqXMAgwtEH281x2JfTzd4Xw3a7-H1QBK2JI8--2IUrXWsHznwaLuU-n3efHf_yCcXIuV5XK2r8npFsj2tT4E5tOagQcEjvmRK6Cikdjd49KkCtabnR_oMGymb39g=w1157-h867-no

FWHWwn4n_UNoUmcB2wzlRPRppyy6EUButmkBxVBaRNgW5uT6KlyLUrq1oHvcyhUXhpf7W09IHqt33-xuA8c366u-ZV_Hw5n3TGlHvMuS3J3g_CVI0JGhMBQQYvXTMAHus1FWz149u14pwM9ApEgk_ljwyiIXbbloHFlSUJnf53EzkpZeZJOE4epJ6w9qoek7eyqju4lEUaQFJFGRe_OcFdrLfjG-GugDRJrhhwZpzMlibf0_M3hGpo6nyOPhWqmAoTEHXRhWSHA7SJaQLhNDZIl65Pm4VpG9dGzYd3kdwT6a9dbPpqtWFEQAie7-Zwe2IKoPBus9boTObOgHoWzf3qtIqNB6B-TQNEIJD7E0jP2ttynOXb9qZxaw7GTzrSBgKpyJbfhIel-7LNy1OHVFueQWC3mWn-EDwmfDal2uv4yUqBhtVfX7buO-cPUoKfABQaxZw-DeH2VV2iZ-8leUHef2Kpi78sqR3es5oaXXU02ebA5FFRvxTlqBI3tdgsownrXNVyhEaDDfDf9vRCkYgtiWXt2YdaVd8SVVPdKay2WOo03hqjBeS7ro_TemU6o4VCLAtGM1SV6r7LLfUiGQ27njaRaY0XE9LIRapMPGUv6104CqkhbZePjHppdJTkayEiES9cFH4Za5gl2ZpBpG3cBWg0qGpz6Q-zVk8p_vjvcFTzdYGXGoAq8ut67GVJb_vryKbJFHsMwhRFYKrzW4KNyCBheOpv8FakyuiinxEx1G3xSlpAaRVm8=w1157-h867-no

Good luck and be safe on your recoveries.
Well put, been using my D shackle for 20+ years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles