2020 Ford Transit AWD

luthj

Engineer In Residence
My understanding is that Ford changed which SAE standard they used for establishing tow ratings. The previous standard was a lot more flexible. The other factor is tongue weight. With abusive driving and high tongue weights, unibody vehicles can be damaged by rear wrinkled sheetmetal.

Personally I would not have any qualms towing 7k lbs (with good trailer brakes). Assuming the GCWR was reasonable.

You can easily compare brake sizing between various models to get an idea of what the "old" tow rating would be. I would venture a guess that upgrading the transits brakes should be pretty straight forward. Either with OE parts from the truck family, or with aftermarket.

Finally, I believe there is some market jockeying going on inside Ford. They don't want to detract from their extremely profitable pickup truck sales. So the transits specs are chosen with that in mind. Unlike the trucks there is no crazy towing/HP wars in the van market. Can you imagine the pickup-bros reaction to a van having similar towing capacity!?

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Just forwarding this info from my salesman.

"Just took a look at the Nationwide Inventory for the various Ford Transit AWD models and some body styles look to be in short supply for being available on dealer lots.

The most ordered AWD Transit body style is the R2C (T-250 MR 148" WB AWD) with 671 vehicles either on the lot or in production. Here are the numbers on the other body styles. This does not include customer ordered Transits...just the ones that dealers normally order for dealer stock to sell off the front lot.

X9C - 26
R2D - 23
X9Y - 19
R2X - 11
W2X - 10
W3U - 5
R3U - 3
R2V - 2

I have placed the link to the 2020 Ford Transit body decoder so you can look up these various body styles for the AWD model as well as ALL of the other various RWD & AWD models. If you are thinking about getting one of these body styles, you might consider ordering EXACTLY what you want as most of these AWD Transits that dealers will be ordering may be real basic optioned vehicles and not have some of the options you would want on your chosen 2020 Transit.

Decoder link.. www.transitbodydecoder.com
"

Van Compass

Observer
Our 265/75/16 Milestar Patagonia A/TR tires are mounted on the van. We fully compressed the suspension to check for clearance and document trimming needed.

Here is a long winded video for fender trimming reference.

Van Compass

Observer
We installed our production strut spacers to do a final check fitment and get the van alignment done. Alignment in spec. The 1" lift springs turned out to 1.25" of lift and we get another .75 from our camber correction strut spacers. Our kit can be used with your factory struts to achieve a complete 2" lift.

Retail price of our 2" kit will be $755 for the following parts:

- Front lift coils
- Front Strut Spacers
- Rear lift blocks/u-bolts
- Rear bump stop spacers

Bilstein B6 struts are now on the van as well. The B6 struts turned out to be slightly longer than the factory units. This allows the suspension to droop out more. The CV shafts are pulled tight with the B6 struts installed at full suspension droop. The wheels still turn, but it is a bit tigher than we hoped for. Our van will run the B6 to see if this has an affect on CV life. A disclaimer will be added for AWD owners so they know about this issue. We achieve 2 5/8" front lift with the B6 struts installed.

Transit AWD.PNG
Transit awd 1.PNG

Transit awd 3.PNG
Transit awd 4.PNG
Transit awd 6.PNG

Transit awd 7.PNG
Transit awd 5.PNG
12.75 nches of front clearance!
Transit awd 8.PNG

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
"Fits AWD and rear wheel drive vans"
I was wondering about this the other day as the architecture is the same.
Seems like the install time of this kit would be significantly quicker and less difficulty than the previous 2WD kit.

Is it "mid-june" yet? :)

Finally, I believe there is some market jockeying going on inside Ford. They don't want to detract from their extremely profitable pickup truck sales. So the transits specs are chosen with that in mind. Unlike the trucks there is no crazy towing/HP wars in the van market. Can you imagine the pickup-bros reaction to a van having similar towing capacity!?

So I used to work in R&D for a US automotive brand and I'd have to say this is not true.
I think where you were getting with unibody strength and brake sizing is more along the lines of reasons why certain vehicles have lower tow ratings. There isn't marketing behind it, its safety, engineering, chassis, driveability, braking, durability. All these things play into it. It could be something as simple as strengthening the chassis structure or even better braking, but us as consumers will not know.

I mentioned the Nissan NV in a previous comment and this van has I believe a 9800# tow rating. But it has 3/4 ton sized brakes and a full ladder frame. Perfect example of probably why it has a higher rating that other uni vans.

kai38

Explorer
Ready for retail sale yet?

We installed our production strut spacers to do a final check fitment and get the van alignment done. Alignment in spec. The 1" lift springs turned out to 1.25" of lift and we get another .75 from our camber correction strut spacers. Our kit can be used with your factory struts to achieve a complete 2" lift.

Retail price of our 2" kit will be $755 for the following parts:

- Front lift coils
- Front Strut Spacers
- Rear lift blocks/u-bolts
- Rear bump stop spacers

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We're throwing in the towel on our Transit AWD lift for a few reasons.

1. Dealing with the CV supplier has been quite difficult. Almost 6 months in, not fun. Hasn't given me much confidence in being so dependent on them in the future.
2. Our kit was going to be at least 2-3X what VC has come up with. An extra inch of lift isn't really worth it? Not right now in my opinion.
3. The talk of these AWD Transit production delays isn't helping anyone.
4. We're STUPID busy at the shop with E series and RV swaps. Booked out into the fall and I have a few big mini pesto jobs on the books. Along with new products, we're literally busting at the seams and 100% out of room.

So, we'll be stocking and installing the VC lift as well as developing new stuff for the Transit. sPOD mounts, OBA, roof rack, skid plates, etc. Looking forward to some new stuff/goodies.

coguzzi

Adventurer
boo, i was patiently waiting but not surprised really. seems you are slammed with work and that is a great thing. was curious to see the difference in approach from both you guys and since my van is still a month out, had time to wait still. guess my decision is made now.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
boo, i was patiently waiting but not surprised really. seems you are slammed with work and that is a great thing. was curious to see the difference in approach from both you guys and since my van is still a month out, had time to wait still. guess my decision is made now.

Yes, we're slammed and I have to know when to fold em! It's actually a huge relief for me, ton of weight off my shoulders.

coguzzi

Adventurer
Yes, we're slammed and I have to know when to fold em! It's actually a huge relief for me, ton of weight off my shoulders.
assuming you are still going to install your CV's in your cargo/test van. can look at this as long term R&D

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
@Van Compass any thoughts about custom lower A arms?
Something to give caster/camber adjustment? something that will allow better articulation?
Every time I wheel my van or jack up the front I think about the soft stamped steel lower A arms and cringe.
I am happy to pay extra for the 1st set as prototypes.....I am also really wanting a better front strut with resi and more coil options. The B6's I have now are ok but I do hours of washboard and need something better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne