2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

HAF

I thinks they use the same Dana front and rear. Wheel bolt pattern is the same. Not sure about hub disconnects. I had a Ram 5500 with switch operated locking hubs. The new Ford I have has manual locking hubs (I intentionally ordered it that way).

I thinks they use the same Dana front and rear. Wheel bolt pattern is the same. Not sure about hub disconnects. I had a Ram 5500 with switch operated locking hubs. The new Ford I have has manual locking hubs (I intentionally ordered it that way).

Dodges do not use a Dana front axle, even under the 4/5500. You can tell the cover is different if you look at post 56. I believe the 5500 still uses the AAM 9.25 up front, same as the 2500/3500, only with beefier knuckles and hubs.

jonathon

Dodges do not use a Dana front axle, even under the 4/5500. You can tell the cover is different if you look at post 56. I believe the 5500 still uses the AAM 9.25 up front, same as the 2500/3500, only with beefier knuckles and hubs.

Ram uses AAM for almost all their axles, front is a 10.5” on the 4500/5500. Look at RAM5500 CAMPERTHING’s photos. It’s substantially bigger than a 9.25.

You sure on the front? Fords have manual hubs. Rams have a funky vacuum axle disconnect like the old YJ Jeeps.

If it’s anything like the center axle disconnect in the 2500/3500 it’s electric and pretty simple and reliable.

tienckb

Adventurer
Hi RAM5500

When will u upload new YouTube vids?

Anxiously waiting. I am in Mission Valley btw.

Hope to see your rig around SD.

Very inspired!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hi RAM5500

When will u upload new YouTube vids?

Anxiously waiting. I am in Mission Valley btw.

Hope to see your rig around SD.

Very inspired!

Tim

Hey Tim

Currently in a holding pattern waiting for the bumper and subrame to be built and the Kelderman suspension to arrive. Will do some video once there is progress, hopefully within a week or 2.

Always good to meet local expo folks, once its put together a little more maybe we could grab a beverage and shoot the poop

tienckb

Adventurer
Hey Tim

Currently in a holding pattern waiting for the bumper and subrame to be built and the Kelderman suspension to arrive. Will do some video once there is progress, hopefully within a week or 2.

Always good to meet local expo folks, once its put together a little more maybe we could grab a beverage and shoot the poop

What part of SD are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mushadd

Well, got the balancers installed and completed a quick 40 mile test drive.

I'll admit, i was a bit skeptical for sure. However, there was a VERY noticeable difference in how much smoother it was.

At 55psi front and rear, everything is suprisingly smooth and quiet.

Highly recommend these!

NOTE: Not sponsored, paid full price, just a happy as hell customer.

View attachment 576969
Do you mind sharing what model you went with on the balancers? 400-408? A few different options listed on their site.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well, after the painful 5 WEEK wait, the Kelderman 4 link is here and i can start making some progress.

Seems like a fairly straight forward install, but we all know how those go, hehehehe

Hopefully should have this done this weekend.

NOTE: I am doing a complete manual install and no autoleveling bits and pieces that add multiple possible failure points.

Will just have a presta valve on each side to manually fill and deflate just like my tires.

kelderman_FORUM.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
Well, after the painful 5 WEEK wait, the Kelderman 4 link is here and i can start making some progress.

Seems like a fairly straight forward install, but we all know how those go, hehehehe

Hopefully should have this done this weekend.

NOTE: I am doing a complete manual install and no autoleveling bits and pieces that add multiple possible failure points.

Will just have a presta valve on each side to manually fill and deflate just like my tires.

View attachment 591640

With no bed or inhibitions about cutting and drilling a new truck, you should be fine.

Looking forward to seeing the results, even more looking forward to hearing about the ride post-install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles