Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Are those inserts run flats? If they’re just thick rubber they should just be bead locks, afaik run flats are solid metal or something like that (?)
They are a rubber run flat yes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Okay thanks, I had only read about the metal ones the h1 guys cut down

that explains all the grease in there! I’d be tempted to keep them... but my build has been plagued with a serious imbalance and drivability problem that I’m still monkeying around with. FWIW i decided not to run my hdpe inserts from staz to rule out one more possible problem

java

Expedition Leader
Okay thanks, I had only read about the metal ones the h1 guys cut down

that explains all the grease in there! I’d be tempted to keep them... but my build has been plagued with a serious imbalance and drivability problem that I’m still monkeying around with. FWIW i decided not to run my hdpe inserts from staz to rule out one more possible problem
I like the safety idea of them, less catastrophic in a blow out situation. But they are literally 60-80 lbs! That's a lot of rolling mass.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
We were wondering why your ride was rough, well, 160lbs of extra unsprung weight isn't helping.

java

Expedition Leader
Well I have officially put 40k on this truck! Nice weekend away. Spent two nights at two of our go to spots.

50009997117_9b524f96f9_b.jpg

50009733076_591a91cd60_b.jpg

Back to tires. I saw this and thought it was interesting and maybe gives another clue?

Rear tire at 100psi after ~5 miles. City driving with stop and go.
50009993807_6965948613_b.jpg

Front tires (70ish psi)
50009737026_b50590151c_b.jpg

More sidewall heat in the front? Could just be more spray on the rear tires also.

And had a little run in.... Was cruising up a FS road at about 30mph, car coming the opposite direction so I slowed down to probably 20-25 ish. Moved over, and bam the ditch grabbed both pass side tires! It was muddy, and maybe the edge gave way? Flopped the truck at a pretty good angle.... split second decision was to keep the foot planted and try to steer back onto the road. Took a good 100' probably to get it to grab and pull out of the ditch. Thank god there weren't any trees hanging over!

You can see all the soupy mud all over the side. Its on the bottom of the cabover even....
50009201713_89faa7efdf_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Ok guys need help. I have a shimmy 50-58 ish.

Tires are wearing super funny.

Radius arms? Tire balance? Something else?

Treads are heel toe wearing. Leading edges are higher.

Bushing look ok?

82c107f4f1d6fee7e78f2798130184c9.jpg
7090ae49bbe12abe8c69a37e9ced465f.jpg
7eec8ff625c9ec84093d1c050780e9de.jpg

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Does the steering wheel shake? Or is it a full vehicle vibration? If the steering in shaking strongly back and forth, that could be bad toe adjustment.

Any recent changes, hit anything big at speed? That scalloping is significant.

A tire that's really out of balance could affect the other side, but that would be into bent wheel territory.

java

Expedition Leader
Does the steering wheel shake? Or is it a full vehicle vibration? If the steering in shaking strongly back and forth, that could be bad toe adjustment.

Any recent changes, hit anything big at speed? That scalloping is significant.

A tire that's really out of balance could affect the other side, but that would be into bent wheel territory.

Nope full truck. Side to side. Not much alignment adjustment on these really.

Yes one big whack at speed..... But tires were like that pre whack. See above post

Both sides look similar.

java

Expedition Leader
Quick and dirty tape measure (with kid on one side so not real accurate) says it's toe'ed out a fair bit. 1/4-1/2" ish

Alignment is an easy place to start....

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Yeah, it's pretty easy. I have seen axles that are out of square do some weird stuff, that would show up by measuring to the body from each wheel.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
No chance either axle drifted forward/backward on one side right? A sheared leaf spring locating pin could let the axle go out of square by an inch or more. Would be obvious with a quick measurement though.

java

Expedition Leader
No chance either axle drifted forward backward on one side right? A sheared leaf spring locating pin could let the axle go out of square by an inch or more. Would be obvious with a quick measurement though.
Radius arms in the front. Shouldn't unless the bushings are toast, and they visually appear ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles