Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Under inflation is easily gauged by the sidewall height. As far as inflation pressures go, using a linear extrapolation is perfectly acceptable. In fact, since you have runflat inserts, the linear method may actually be a bit high. I may have missed it, but were these used tires? If so previous abuse comes into play as a source of the failure.

I extrapolated, but may have gone a little towards the low side?

No, not used, just warehoused for 5 years before my purchase

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
If the tire is toast (sure looks like it is) just cut it in half to remove run flat
It's toast. Good idea. May give me a thought on what's happening at the crack too.

But I am more thinking of pulling them out of all the others. It's a ton of rotating weight. But.... I like the run flat as a super single rear also.... But not sure how much I should worry about blow outs

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If the tire is toast (sure looks like it is) just cut it in half to remove run flat

That gets it out but you still have to squeeze it into a figure 8 to get it into the new tire. I find it easier/safer to do that in the old tire than in the open air. But it sucks either way.

Maybe YouTube university has better methods of removing and installing run flats but I’m too stubborn/ dumb / lazy to do the research.

The ultimate answer is to get rid of the run flats and just use beadlock inserts. Much easier to work with.

java

Expedition Leader
That gets it out but you still have to squeeze it into a figure 8 to get it into the new tire. I find it easier/safer to do that in the old tire than in the open air. But it sucks either way.

Maybe YouTube university has better methods of removing and installing run flats but I’m too stubborn/ dumb / lazy to do the research.

The ultimate answer is to get rid of the run flats and just use beadlock inserts. Much easier to work with.
Can I run without the inserts is my question?

Or should I go find regular ones since these are stupid heavy?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Agreed! I am not too savy on the run flats, but i am guessing for all that headache, they dont provide all that much travel time/help.

Meaning, if you did get a flat, how long could you actually drive on it safely? And at what speed? Seems like a whole bunch of headache for minimal gain

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Can I run without the inserts is my question?

Or should I go find regular ones since these are stupid heavy?

While studying for my PhD at Youtube university, i came across a lot of folks that ditched the run flat and just used the beadlock insert. Seems to work well. Some even remove both

Using it without either would work also, but the wheel would no longer be a "bead lock" obviously, but would function as a regular wheel fine.

java

Expedition Leader
While studying for my PhD at Youtube university, i came across a lot of folks that ditched the run flat and just used the beadlock insert. Seems to work well. Some even remove both

Using it without either would work also, but the wheel would no longer be a "bead lock" obviously, but would function as a regular wheel fine.
Yes I am debating loosing all of it.

Not sure this is an easy wheel to find a regular beadlock insert for. Honestly never air down.... But I like the option if needed

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Not sure this is an easy wheel to find a regular beadlock insert for. Honestly never air down.... But I like the option if needed

My reasoning for ditching it all together was that, if i am on the road and run into tire issues, Jimbobs Tire Shop in the middle of no wheres probably wouldnt know how to mess with it and could cause long delays to get me back on the road.

Simple is better was my reasoning.

java

Expedition Leader
My reasoning for ditching it all together was that, if i am on the road and run into tire issues, Jimbobs Tire Shop in the middle of no wheres probably wouldnt know how to mess with it and get me back on the road.

Simple is better was my reasoning.

As long as the beads are normal 19.5 profile I'll ditch them.... Looses almost 70lbs a wheel.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader

Look carefully at the rim profile to see if it has the safety lip that the bead sits on. I am an old bugger reading this on a phone so I cannot tell from your photos. If it does not have the safety lip (and none of my beadlock rims have had them) then I would be very hesitant about running with nothing.

Which ever way you go I would suggest a good quality tire pressure monitoring system.

java

Expedition Leader
Look carefully at the rim profile to see if it has the safety lip that the bead sits on. I am an old bugger reading this on a phone so I cannot tell from your photos. If it does not have the safety lip (and none of my beadlock rims have had them) then I would be very hesitant about running with nothing.

Which ever way you go I would suggest a good quality tire pressure monitoring system.
None of the 19.5 or 22.5 have the safety bead

java

Expedition Leader
Agreed! I am not too savy on the run flats, but i am guessing for all that headache, they dont provide all that much travel time/help.

Meaning, if you did get a flat, how long could you actually drive on it safely? And at what speed? Seems like a whole bunch of headache for minimal gain
These are milspec for flats from Mines etc I'd guess. About 60% of the tire height probably. Full of grease and nastynes. You could go quite a ways I would bet. But tire would be trashed

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Are those inserts run flats? If they’re just thick rubber they should just be bead locks, afaik run flats are solid metal or something like that (?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles