** SOLD ** 1999 F250 Superduty 7.3 CrewCab Shortbed

SolBeach

$16,000 -- located in San Diego CA all its life (still here)
IMG_7945.jpgIMG_7906.jpgIMG_7907.jpg

* late 1999 F250 Superduty CrewCab Shortbed with venerable 7.3 motor
* odometer/mileage: 225k
* 2nd owner
* 3" lift/level kit
* 315/75 R16 BFG AT's with ~10,000 miles on them, lots of life left
* full size spare under bed
* rhino lined bed very early on in life of vehicle
* matching SnugTop Expo Deluxe Shell with rails for yakima racks
* factory alarm
* power windows
* all electrical works great
* remote door opener
* various small modifications for to quiet cab (improved door rubber, seals around steering shaft, etc.)

Motor:
* If you are reading this ad, you know these engines are reliable and produce significant power/torque
* Motor oil changed at 5000 miles
* fumoto valve for easy engine oil draining
* never chipped or tuned
*AIS Severe Duty Air intake -- only CA smog legal intake I am aware of: from mfg: " Ford and Motorcraft engineers have designed an AIS Severe Duty kit that is compatible with F-250-F550 Super Duty trucks and Excursions. Ford is the first to bring this off-highway technology to the diesel pickup truck market. The new Motorcraft 7.3L AIS (Air Induction System) Severe Duty Kit is more efficient than conventional air filters, providing similar performance of a heavy duty truck air filter. In fact, the 7.3L AIS Severe Duty Kit has the same filter technology used in the M1 Abrams tank!
* Magnaflow stainless steel turbo back exhaust, 3.5" downpipe to 4" exhaust. I chose this exhaust with the AIS intake to provide a freer flowing air system, and it is well matched for improving performance of the motor, but retaining the motor stock tuning settings for ultimate reliability. No additional noise and no problems with California emissions requirements.
* Two new Interstate batteries a little less than 3 years ago.
* Previous owner did HPOP.
* I've replaced hoses, and alternator in last 5-6k miles.

Suspension:
* Bilstein shocks
* 3" lift/level kit - accomodates the 315/75R16 tires nicely
* Aluminum rims
* Brakes/Hubs/calipers replaced/rebuilt 10,000 miles ago
* Factory 2" receiver/plugs
* Factory tow package

Exterior/Interior:
* Original owner conducted a $9200 (no joke) cosmetic restoration at 201k miles (I have several pages of itemized reciepts from the body shop). The interior/exterior does not reflect the age/mileage. Paint, body work, new mirrors, foam for seating, running boards, bumpers, etc. Pioneer Stereo (nothing fancy, and old school aux cable to the phone).
* Front light mount with driving KC driving lights (Halogen, which is dated for this crowd!).
* While a Superduty, this particular year had the 'small' mirrors relative to the size of later year SuperDuty's. I think it provides a cleaner look.

Background:
I'm new to posting to this forum, so I appreciate letting me list my vehicle for sale. For what it is worth, this truck falls into the category of "I'm going to regret selling this" and "I would drive it cross country tomorrow". Not sure if it is a unicorn, but it does seem to get a lot of attention with those familiar of Ford 7.3's and this model truck.

The 'Beast' as my kids call it is a 3rd vehicle as noted by logging only 11,000 miles in 9 years. Essentially this truck has been our RV for trips to winter trips to the mountains or summer camping on BLM or forest service land. It was never used as a construction/work truck, and all it has towed is my Jayco Baja Popup Trailer. There is no brake controller or mounts from a previous 5th wheel in the bed -- signs of a truck having done a lot of towing in its life (something I kept my eye on during the 2 year search for this truck). For camping, I've got LED lights in the shell, and wiring for my ARB that I keep back there (fridge not for sale). I have a plywood board cut to the dimensions of the bed which sits on the rhino liner. This provides a platform for mounting the fridge slide, bike mounts, etc. without drilling into the bed).

Reason for selling (since this is often asked). The truck is too big for running short trips around town, especially if wife or kids need to drive. I've got too many other cars, and the little kids are now drivers. It worked great having three boys in the back bench seat, but now two of them are in college, so those days are gone. I also have a 80 series LC, and recently pulled the trigger on a low mileage first gen tundra I want to build up as my down size vehicle from this truck. Plans are for the first gen to tow the pop up trailer when needed, but it is significantly smaller for navigating around urban areas. I originally bought this truck because the 80 series bogged on hills trying to pull the tent trailer up grades -- I think the grade up to Dinky Creek cemented for me I wanted diesel. With the Beast, I don't feel my little trailer (I have spent a lot of time in the Sierras, east and west with this truck, and it pulls nicely on the grades)

Cons:
* During one trip, my western canoe while mounted on the shell rubbed a few locations on the paint above the cab. These patches now have surface rust, and need touching up soon. See photo.
* One of the sets of KC lights has a loose wire, and needs some jiggering.
* rear door on shell needs an adjustment -- I'll probably get to it before someone buys it, but thought I'd mention it (when fixed, I'll edit this post).

adjusted shell hatch latch this afternoon / good to go

Send me a PM if interested, and requests for more photos. I'm limited at 10 images a post, so will post a second batch shortly.
I thought I would let this ad roll for a few weeks before going to Craigslist, etc., as I'd like to see it go to a good home for more outdoors living.

Cheers, Eric

IMG_7927.jpgIMG_7919.jpgIMG_7922.jpgIMG_7923.jpgIMG_7925.jpgIMG_7926.jpgIMG_7947.jpg

Last edited:

Stadinko

Though I’m not in the market for another truck (Just bought a Power Wagon from another forum member last fall), you seem like a guy I’d love to do business with. Honest without overselling it. GLWS bro! This clean and at this price, it won’t last long...

SolBeach

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
Attached are some pictures of the truck in use as opposed to the straight from carwash pictures. As you can see, when I did tow, the load was minor compared to what this truck can provide. Vehicle would be a good candidate for flat bed conversion for a overland cabover camper. Fridge/Cooler worked well being based in the truck vs the trailer (left hand picture below).

IMG_1605.JPGIMG_2195.JPGIMG_1682 (Large).JPG
I ended up 3D printing some riser blocks for my Yakima racks on the shell to keep the nose of the canoe from rubbing the roof. Worked great.

Headlights/KC lights looked a little yellow yesterday, so I reconditioned them this am - clear glass now!

truck front.jpg

Last edited:

Stadinko

Yes, I too had an 80 series LC before the Power Wagon. I loved the LC, I really did. But slower than a turtle and terrible mileage. If I’m gonna get 12 mpg I want power!

SolBeach

Some folks have PM'd me for photos of the under carriage -- attaching below. Some socal surface scale -- I'll wipe it down in coming days with some appropriate film material (Boeshield or similar), but wanted to post prior. I've never been a fan of rubber coatings ...hides your problems.

IMG_7962.jpgIMG_7966.jpgIMG_7968.jpgIMG_7970.jpgIMG_7971.jpgIMG_7972.jpgIMG_7974.jpgIMG_7975.jpgIMG_7976.jpgIMG_7978.jpg

SolBeach

Here is the sticker. 99.5 models started after 12/98. GVWR and VIN code shows the load ratings. It is the big axles, and I think rating for the model is over 3/4 ton. I think the same F-350 had heavier rear leaf springs.

8443FB60-72EB-4C6B-B1B9-C4735E42DC3D.jpeg

Ninelitetrip

Thanks for posting the pic. On the rust above the windshield. Hard to tell, does any of the rust touch or go below the windshield rubber?

SolBeach

Surface rust spots above window where my canoe (see above photos) rubbed. Doesn’t start below or extend to window seal (eg window frame rot). I’ve been busy with covid related chores, but something I plan to get to soon. Not a big job, and with start of summer, I wanted to offer up vehicle without delays.

fixed surface rub from canoe -- good to go.

Last edited:

SolBeach

Pictures inside the bed (I’ve got some things stored in there), but gives you an idea of how clean the bed liner is. Mainly used for dent protection from ski boots. Photo of roof shows my DIY rod holder and LED lights,

image.jpg07F320A9-79FA-4AF0-A8C7-0D3F8D3E42C1.jpeg

SolBeach

I pretty sure HPOP was OEM - Ford Dealer replaced in Bishop California. I don't know about the springs -- I believe customs from National Spring. Truck is smooth, but doesn't wander/wallow. Eg. Good on the highway and turns, but teeth don't rattle on a speed bump. The truck motor never deviated from stock except a mild exhaust to improve breathing. The intake is the motorcraft/ford AIS system. I spent highway time (8 hour drives to Sierras from San Diego) with the family, and couldn't be rolling in a rig like I might have had in high school. While tempted to chip/tune the engine, I didn't want to deal with gauging, etc etc. that is necessary to do this right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94