Dynamax Isata 5 28SS - Ram 5500 4x4 or Thor Outlaw 29s with 4x4

Steve_382

Not sure where to put this, but it's on a Ram 5500 chassis and is available in 4x4. Not really an expedition camper, but a nice option for touring the US with a small Jeep as a dingy for exploring around. We are thinking about one of these. You can get a new one for around $170K. Not cheap, but much less than the big boys.

Another option we are considering is the Thor Outlaw 29S toy hauler on the new 2021 E450 chassis with the 7.3V8. If we get this, we will take it to Quigley or UJoint for a 4x4 conversion. You can get one of these for $90K or so and the 4x4 package will add $15K for Quigley or $25K for UJoint. Again, not a trail beast, but an option with a small Jeep for touring around. Lots of room for bikes and other toys in this one too.

Does anyone have any experience with either. Nice thing about both of these is easy access to the cab with walk throughs.

zb39

Adventurer
I have looked at the Isata 5 since new. There is a ton of chatter on these over on the Berkshire forums. Lots of people doing exactly what you suggest.

CTDJeeperman

I’ve seen the Isata in person and it seemed built better than most typical RV builders, the 28SS with the Adventure Package would be a nice setup. Plus you could always run larger super singles and end up with something a bit more capable on a dirt road.
I’ve seen dealers advertising 25-30% off sticker, but they are still pricey.

Steve_382

I’ve seen the Isata in person and it seemed built better than most typical RV builders, the 28SS with the Adventure Package would be a nice setup. Plus you could always run larger super singles and end up with something a bit more capable on a dirt road.
I’ve seen dealers advertising 25-30% off sticker, but they are still pricey.
Yes, I have seen the Isata 5 at about $170,000. Not cheap, but way less than a real Earthroamer or the other real expedition campers. And, you can find these on the lots and get one right away.

CTDJeeperman

I looked at the storage boxes near the rear wheels on a 28SS and I think you could easily modify those boxes to make the rear wheel opening large enough to fit a 41” Continental type tire. Obviously the front is easy for that. I think you could have something that looked a bit like an Earthroamer with similar Offroad capabilities for less than $200K. I know the fit/finish on an ER is another level but you can do a lot with the $500K+ you save...

CTDJeeperman

The Ford 7.3 V8 seems really interesting but I think that would be horrible driving in the mountains at altitude loaded up to max GVW. A Cummins/Aisin combo would be a lot better IMO for all that weight. That said I think a 7.3 SRW F350 Tremor with a pop up would be a an awesome setup.

jkam

nomadic man
The Isata 5 can't be used at all without the slide out.
To me, that makes it useless.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I don't have the money for one, but I'm really liking the DynaMax setup! It would be REALLY cool if they would put out a few more floor plans. I'm a big fan of the Murphy bed/Couch + a dinette floor plan you can find in the Sprinters. A slightly larger version of that on this frame would be killer, and would be a nice compact footprint (likely smaller than the 28SS).

I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult to get a bigger tire in there, not sure if you could go all the way to a 41" but still.

On the THOR side, I've heard alot of bad press from a quality standpoint with them. It's to bad, because I think they are pretty much the only Toy Hauler motorhomes out there on a smaller platform. As great as the 7.3 may be. That thing loaded down and hualing a jeep will likely be sucking the fuel down so fast you'll never get out of a gas station.

jkam

nomadic man
You can't even get to the bathroom with the slide in. And the slide takes much more than 10 seconds to open.
The queen bed has to be folded a bit to close the slide, making the bed useless without the slide open.
And, if you think you could put bigger off road tires on and get more clearance, forget it. t would fall apart quicker than it already will stock.
Dynamax was sold years ago and is now made just as crappy as all their other products. Too bad, at one time Dynamax made a quality product.
Consolidation in the RV industry has not been good for the consumer.

RCP

You can't even get to the bathroom with the slide in. And the slide takes much more than 10 seconds to open.
The queen bed has to be folded a bit to close the slide, making the bed useless without the slide open.
And, if you think you could put bigger off road tires on and get more clearance, forget it. t would fall apart quicker than it already will stock.
Dynamax was sold years ago and is now made just as crappy as all their other products. Too bad, at one time Dynamax made a quality product.
Consolidation in the RV industry has not been good for the consumer.

At what point would you want to use the bed with the slide in? With most travel trailers that have slides you can not access the bathroom with the slide in. As for much more than 10 seconds I can assure you it would be well under a minute to put the slide out and if you can not hold it for 60 seconds perhaps you should just be wearing diapers...

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
@jkam - I can't speak to the quality, but I think your looking at the wrong floorplan. The 28SS you have no problem sleeping or getting to the bathroom with the slide in.... 30FW has the issues you speak of.

jkam

nomadic man
@jkam - I can't speak to the quality, but I think your looking at the wrong floorplan. The 28SS you have no problem sleeping or getting to the bathroom with the slide in.... 30FW has the issues you speak of.

You are correct, the one I looked at did not have the same floorplan.
Still Dynamax isn't the company it once was and the one I looked at did not impress me.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
More Thor products, which is unfortunate, but it looks like you can get their Super C's in 4x4

they also offer a Gas (7.3L) C class with a garage. It's basically the floor plan I posted above + a side load garage. Pretty slick as well. Still not the perfect combo!!!

This on a 4x4 diesel would be legit...

Attachments

• C class toy hualer.PNG
    C class toy hualer.PNG
    170.6 KB · Views: 52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94