My M416 Build Attemp

HendersonJL

After purchasing a JL last November, I developed a bug for a Jeep trailer. After a few months of scouting Craigslist, I was able to get an M416 at a fair price and in a semi-decent shape; it tows well but the prior cut tailgate and the tub really rusted out.

The usual plan; tear it down, paint,. construct a lid and perhaps a rooftop tent!

Here's the day I brought her home:
Trailer.jpg

Phase 1 was to separate the tub from the frame for cleaning and painting. This proved to be a pain since the previous owner had cut out the tailgate and to reinforce the tail ends, welded the tub to the frame.

Shout out to @Flyfishjeep and @Digglesby for their help!! I really appreciate it!

It's a little difficult working on it without a garage, and also with the temperature getting cold here, I am putting a hold on the project until next year! :)

Trailer5.jpgTrailer2.jpgtrailer3.jpg

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Your welcome....currently working on 2 restorations (M100 nd M416) plus a few other trailer projects...let me know if you need anything (parts, advice or technical questions). I have a bunch of spare parts and or know where to find stuff if you need it.

Digglesby

Oh wow. Welded the tub on. That must have been a joy! I hear ya on the weather. No fun working in the cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HendersonJL

Your welcome....currently working on 2 restorations (M100 nd M416) plus a few other trailer projects...let me know if you need anything (parts, advice or technical questions). I have a bunch of spare parts and or know where to find stuff if you need it.
Thank you for the offer! I am sure I'll need the guidance as I continue next year. While on hold, I'll probably try to order parts, such as lighting kit, screws and bolts, u bolts, shocks ect...

@Digglesby Yeah, the first picture of the bottom three; so after cut out the back to make the tailgate, he welded a slab of metal from the tub to that loop from the bottom of the frame to reinforce the tub and keep it sturdy for the tailgate. After the tailgate rusted out, he used that to hook the strap (orange strap) and secure the tailgate from flapping :)

HendersonJL

The weather has been decent, and with the COVID-19 lock down in place I was able to start some work on the trailer. I took the axle and the springs off the frame and worked on cleaning it.
Using an angle grinder and 4-1/2 strip&Clean Discs I was able to clean the frame. IMG_9743.jpg

Next is to to work on servicing the hubs; with water and dry out grease for many years, the races and bearings were in bad shape IMG_9641.jpgIMG_9644.jpg

I ordered bearings and races from Amazon

Weather is nice this weekend so I hope to prime the frame and put back the axle.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZAEAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YKMPRBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00153YPAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior