Overland Sprinter Build

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Tearing into the windows with gusto. Because the monstaliner and epoxy primer require catalyzation, I need to spray/roll in batches, which means I need to do as much as possible in one go. So I am working on all the paint issues across the van at once. Hood, roof/side seams, mudflap chafing, side flare, and some minor skirt rust. It takes a long time to sand through the monstaliner. There is blue dust everywhere.

Of note, the Tern windows are nice. I am not huge fan of the plastic latches, but the rubber gasket, aluminum frame, and attachment are great. I really like the use of machine screws and rivnuts as opposed to sheetmetal screws.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Found a bit of unexpected damage where someone bondo repaired a dent, and didn't prime.... The filler was still a bit damp.

I got a couple coats of epoxy primer on. I need to do the other side of the filler panels. I should be able to do the monstaliner on saturday?

I also resealed the seams with 3M high solids urethane sealer. The nice thing about the bedliner coating is that I don't need to tool very smooth, as it all blends in.

I do wonder how much a of a sheen difference there will be between the new and old liner when I am done. I may need to do some solvent buffing to get the oxidation off.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Got the liner applied. Its definitely a lot more gloss than the older coating. Part of that will fade over the next couple weeks, but I may need to get out the wax and buff the whole van. Its never had any care in the last 5 years, so its probably due for it. The windows are installed. I need to glue the backing strips in, but this will do for now.

The blind assembly on the sliding door just barely touches the side of the van. I should be able to modify or adjust the door carrier to clear.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Progress may be put on hold for a bit. Both of us have been laid off as cost saving measures. I am spamming just about any job I qualify for, but having no interest in working for less than half my current salary, we may end up on the road again for a bit. So I guess I need to wrap up van maintenance and put everything back together.

Typically something like this would just have us visit another country on our list for 6 months, but travel being restricted reduces our options some. I really wanted to get the shower and cabinet mods done before we transition to the van again, but we will see how the wind blows.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Progress may be put on hold for a bit. Both of us have been laid off as cost saving measures. I am spamming just about any job I qualify for, but having no interest in working for less than half my current salary, we may end up on the road again for a bit. So I guess I need to wrap up van maintenance and put everything back together.

Typically something like this would just have us visit another country on our list for 6 months, but travel being restricted reduces our options some. I really wanted to get the shower and cabinet mods done before we transition to the van again, but we will see how the wind blows.

Sorry to hear that. Yes it's a bit of a strange situation - good timing for traveling but no place to go overseas.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Yeah, now is a great time of year to drive to Alaska or northern Canada, maybe they will open the border this summer? We could burn quite a bit of time in the USA, and we have saved a few places for such an occasion.

If there is an "Overland" mindset, its one of adaptability and flexibility. Just another challenge to be overcome.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
One shade installed, waiting on a new sliding door roller so I can modify to add a bit of clearance. The blinds are reflective silver on the outside, combined with the double pane, there is no comparison to a glass window, and significant improvement over the glass window with fabric shade.

A little light fab work to move the maxtrax down.

Its still not enough to open the window all the way, so I will just trim a bit off the end of them.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The viar compressor stopped working properly about 2 years ago. It would only make about 70psi. The bore is scored, so obviously it ingested some sand or similar. I rebuilt it, and relocated it, and the intake will be moved inside the cabin.

IMG_20200528_092902360

IMG_20200528_103630221

IMG_20200528_103559037

I got a new middle slider/roller for the door. I cut it mid span, and bent it outwards about 3/16". I needed to do some light clearancing in the mating aperture on the door, but it fits.

IMG_20200529_092958123

Here you can see the clearance between the window shade and the side of the van, its tight, bit it fits.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Roughing out a new galley cabinet. I think I will save time and stick with the same basic layout and appliances. Moving the fridge upward will gain me some storage and avoid stubbed toes from the door. I am not sure what type of storage to use the the right side. Bins? Drawers? Drawers are convenient, but the slides eat up 1/2" on each side. If I use light gauge aluminum for the drawers, I can net another 0.6 cubic feet of storage. Getting rid of the slides and using some other method could net me another 0.5 cubic feet. Very attractive in a small van.

1590866142951.png

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Hdpe slides. 1/8 bottom and sides guides an alu box easy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

We use a similar setup on aircraft galleys. The main issue is I would need to work out a method to prevent the bin from falling out at full extension. Should be doable, I just haven't looked into it. For maximum volume I could use 40 thousandths UHMWPE tape at several locations.

java

Expedition Leader
We use a similar setup on aircraft galleys. The main issue is I would need to work out a method to prevent the bin from falling out at full extension. Should be doable, I just haven't looked into it. For maximum volume I could use 40 thousandths UHMWPE tape at several locations.
Yes that is the issue. Don't pull it all of the way out

And now I will need to find hdpe tape.... Much better than 1/8"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

We previously had full extension slides on our kitchen drawers. I remade the drawers without them a couple years ago for the same reason, to gain extra space. We use wood drawers with HDPE glides, not full extension. Functionally, this is not any problem for our needs. If you partitioned drawers in some way that requires full extension it would be a different story. YMMV

luthj

Engineer In Residence
So here is a thought on a self retaining bin without slides.

1591562399585.png

Here is the bin at full extension. In order to remove the bin, the front is lifted up as it is pulled out, which allows the tabs to clear. If desired the front face can be attached to wood etc for a finished appearance.

1591562538364.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior