Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Bead locks fix the bead abd increase the flex in the sidewall .....more flex = more chance of cracking. More chance of it happening on short sidewall high load tires. Also if the tires are run below mfg recommended pressure for weight.

Usually the bead rotate/twists on edge of the wheel which causes rim flange wear. Rim flange wear is the cause of aluminum wheels being scrapped / TIG welded /machined on commercial trucks. Knew a guy that had 20-30 wheel he wanted me to weld but it was mind numbing. I'd had enough after doing 1.

An example, not my welding.
View attachment 588828

I think we are finding the root cause here..... Its odd its just one side, but who knows there.

I will likely pull all the beadlock inserts next week.

java

Expedition Leader
Talked to Hutchinson, They had no real ideas. The only piece of info I got was that if they were a military order they would not have a Toyo Tire. Michelin Multi D would have been on them. They are a standard 19.5 so I cant imagine the beads are different, but maybe?

He said If I can get them open and find the part number on the runflat, he will try to see if it is compatible with the Toyo's, but I need the tire info also.

This is all very strange.....

Wyuna

Observer
a bit of sikaflex and that tire will be fine :p

It is odd, its not like you run them at low psi, it could be a fault in the tire itself...

Might be a good time to change over the fronts if they are 7 years old.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Since it was still holding air, the sidewall plies and inner rubber must have been intact. Depending on the tires type and load rating, there can be a thick layer of rubber around the upper outer face of the bead, and the sidewall. The bead can be injected in a different stage than the sidewall and bulk of the carcass/body. If someone goes funky, the bond between the stages of injection can be weak, and symmetrical cracking/separation can appear. Something similar can happen around the edge of the tread on recap/retreaded tires.

The bead profile mismatch may also be a possibility, but I don't have any experience with that particular issue.

java

Expedition Leader
Since it was still holding air, the sidewall plies and inner rubber must have been intact. Depending on the tires type and load rating, there can be a thick layer of rubber around the upper outer face of the bead, and the sidewall. The bead can be injected in a different stage than the sidewall and bulk of the carcass/body. If someone goes funky, the bond between the stages of injection can be weak, and symmetrical cracking/separation can appear. Something similar can happen around the edge of the tread on recap/retreaded tires.

The bead profile mismatch may also be a possibility, but I don't have any experience with that particular issue.

I think this isn't a wrong bead issue, I think it's the interaction of the insert.... But I don't know.

Yes still holding air fine...

Alloy

Went to do brakes. Found this.....

Ideas? Still holding 80 psi. Never aired down....
325efc7768d7c4c3c1003b60eae16735.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I just read the 80psi. That's right at the bottom end for these tires.

Here's a chart

java

Expedition Leader
I just read the 80psi. That's right at the bottom end for these tires.

Here's a chart

Yes it is, but extrapolated from the higher pressures for my weight. The charts don't go low enough. I'm 8k on the rear. Maybe 8500 at most.

I filled the new ones to 90....

Front have been at 70 and no issues (6200 front axle)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Alloy

It's always better to be on the high side because the low side creates more heat.

I have siliar tires on our trailer and I run 110psi even though the load doesn't need it. Use to run 120 but the center of the tread was wearing.

Might check the side wall temp to see how hot the tires are?

Also mfg. tire pressures are set at 70F (cold) add / subtract 1-2psi for every 10 degrees.

java

Expedition Leader
It's always better to be on the high side because the low side creates more heat.

I have siliar tires on our trailer and I run 110psi even though the load doesn't need it. Use to run 120 but the center of the tread was wearing.

Might check the side wall temp to see how hot the tires are?

Also mfg. tire pressures are set at 70F (cold) add / subtract 1-2psi for every 10 degrees.

When I first went to these tires, I pretty religiously monitor the temperatures oh, I don't remember exactly what they were at this point but it was nothing out of the normal at this pressure. But I don't want another failure!

java

Expedition Leader
Well I am very surprised. Toyo tech/customer support would not even talk to me about it. They said take them to your place of purchase for diagnosis... Helpful. Wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. They have a 5.5 year warranty FWIW :rolleyes:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you know a certified engineer get them to do an observation only report of the damage and the configuration. Photos etc included and store that somewhere if needed for warranty review. Make sure they are OK with signing on the bottom line and maybe even consider getting the signature witnessed by a notary.

As a user without a fleet you will probably not get any traction with the warranty claim. So you may need to position your requests around the need to eliminate potential future failures that their tires could be responsible for. Also let them know that you have had a non destructive engineering observation done.

It would be a 20 beer discussion to go through the highjinks I have see companies pull to step away from warranty claims. But I have also had a lot of success by being calm, factual, firm and demanding.

java

Expedition Leader
If you know a certified engineer get them to do an observation only report of the damage and the configuration. Photos etc included and store that somewhere if needed for warranty review. Make sure they are OK with signing on the bottom line and maybe even consider getting the signature witnessed by a notary.

As a user without a fleet you will probably not get any traction with the warranty claim. So you may need to position your requests around the need to eliminate potential future failures that their tires could be responsible for. Also let them know that you have had a non destructive engineering observation done.

It would be a 20 beer discussion to go through the highjinks I have see companies pull to step away from warranty claims. But I have also had a lot of success by being calm, factual, firm and demanding.

I didn't want a warranty, I got them second hand, and they are past the warranty period anyway. I would not expect that at all.

I was hoping to discuss with them, and try to come up with a plausible cause. But they didn't want to help.... AT ALL. They would have more knowledge of the tire construction than anyone, I would hope anyway.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I didn't want a warranty, I got them second hand, and they are past the warranty period anyway. I would not expect that at all.

I was hoping to discuss with them, and try to come up with a plausible cause. But they didn't want to help.... AT ALL. They would have more knowledge of the tire construction than anyone, I would hope anyway.

In that case just document it yourself and then send a request for technical support to them via certified mail. Explain that you are seeking their assistance to understand how this failure happened so you can reliably use their product for the safe operation of your vehicle. Also explain that you are not requesting any compensation etc just information and technical assistance.

The key points being.
1- someone signs for receipt of the letter/request. Traceable request.
2- it is their product that has failed.
3- the words “safe operation”
4- technical assistance not compensation.

Alloy

Well I am very surprised. Toyo tech/customer support would not even talk to me about it. They said take them to your place of purchase for diagnosis... Helpful. Wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. They have a 5.5 year warranty FWIW :rolleyes:

With hundreds of tires issues a week they are old school at this. The people on the phones are trained to deflect the issues. Best place I've found for knowlege is the commercial trade shows or finding the local factory rep. Sometime a dealer will give it to you or the mfg will.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I do know a guy in Bend who uses all Toyo’s on his logging fleet. I will check and see if he has a rep that could help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles