Water tank Sweating

tims5377

In my ford transit, my water tank is going to be going beneath a cabinet that supports a murphy bed. I have a Northwest Conversions 20 gallon wheel well tank (Its pretty awesome). As it is currently built, it fits reasonably tight to the wall and there isn't much room for air flow. I am concerned that when I am filling up, from home or elsewhere, the tank will sweat quite a bit. I don't want the condensation getting down under my flooring or into the wall or anything.

Is this something that I should actually be concerned about? How do you folks manage this?

My thoughts are:
- A Drip tray that could drain towards the rear
- Cover the tank in kilmat (rubber sound deading/insulation mat)
- I know this could be solved by putting the tank outside, but I want it to stay liquid for winter trips!

Here is where the tank is going to live

20200527_065330 (1).jpg

4x4sporty

My tank is under my couch\bed and I haven’t had any problems with condensation. Also my power supply is under there and makes some heat and I have had no problems even in winter.

Alloy

Condensation is caused by a combination of temp and humidity. People in different location will experience different amounts of condensation.

It would be a good application for Reflecitx bubble wrap with tapped seams.

You'll want make sure all of the water drains out of the tank or things will start to grow in it.

Reactions: WVI
A simple drip pan now is a easy way to deal with a problem that you may or may not have down the road. Insulating it may trap the any moisture in and harbor mold/mildew over time.

eporter

Adventurer
A drip tray will also be great insurance in case it leaks. Maybe find a baking pan that’s a similar size, custom sheet metal, or even a thin plywood tray caulked and sealed. Better it gets wet than under your flooring

Alloy

A simple drip pan now is a easy way to deal with a problem that you may or may not have down the road. Insulating it may trap the any moisture in and harbor mold/mildew over time.

From experience I can tell you that a tray will be full of slimy munge....dust/dirt gets in the pan then adding water it makes for a wonderful concoction.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
An easy fix is to put 1/4" of closed cell foam on the tank. Generally good air circulation keeps condensation down. The only time you will see major condensation, is when you are filling the tank from a cool/cold source (underground supply) in hot humid weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles