Hardtop Clamshell vs Pop-Up RTT Differences

peglegmeg

Hi, I am in the market for a hardtop RTT. I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Would appreciate hearing from experienced rooftop tent folks, what are the pro’s and con’s of a clamshell shape versus a horizontal pop-up? Can someone explain to me why I would buy a clamshell versus pop-up, or is it just preference?

A clamshell seems to be helpful in facing away from direction of sun or winds, allow for more sitting up room, and perhaps small storage. The horizontal pop-up can give more stretch out room, and some you can sit up if small enough.

However, will a clamshell receive more pelting from the elements, both rain and wind? Or by way of physics, would the horizontal receive more brunt from wind? I am aware rain comes from all directions.

I am single traveler, 5’6. If it figures into the equation, my main concerns are staying warm and dry and with limited wind trouble, although I am aware the fabric and construction of the tent itself would be a big factor.

And if you have any product suggestions of hard top RTT’s you like, let me know. Thanks for your help!

towee

I’ve only had the clamshell style ease of setup was my biggest draw to it but I don’t have enough experience with the other style hard shells to compare. Ideally if you can set up both styles crawl up in them and see what you think. I had the alu cab it was great in wind and weather set up was flip 2 latches and give it a push put away was as equally easy. Biggest downside for clamshells would be foot space for tall people but you won’t have that problem.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Do you want to stand up and put on jeans, buy a clamshell.
Do you want to sit in your tent with someone else on the other side, buy a pop up.
Do you plan on mounting the tent in a spot where you will have trouble accessing the front? Buy a clamshell so you don't have to worry about putting too much side pressure on the hinges when trying to pull down on the front strap.
That or buy a pop up with a rotating handle so you can get nice closure all around if front access will be difficult. Just don't lose the handle and be aware that pop choices that fit this bill might not be what you want.

For me personally, clamshell is the way to go. Less hassle setting up, closing down. I don't spend time in my tent other then sleeping, so no need for some awkward hangout spot that instagrammers love to post. Plus the lack of fabric helps keep noise levels down. The newer tent designs like Ikamper are okay but still have plenty of fabric that needs to be dried after after rain; fabric that can get pinched and worn out etc.

I had at least fifteen different tents at least in the last few years. Autohome, Ikamper, Hannibal etc. soft shell, hard shell, clamshell etc. Clamshell is just convenient.

nick-v

A clamshell have what seems to be a more robust mechanism too. The hinged front is stronger than any scissors type lifting thingy. And, as said before, less fabric and faster/easier setup.

billiebob

A popup is a bit smaller and yet longer.
The Clamshell takes up less roof space and has much more interior volume.

Most Popups you can drive around setup.
Clamshells need to be folded to move and reset.

This is my favourite RTT. Kind of a hybrid popup clamshell. Lots of air, space, volume and you can drive with it setup. Handy if the wind changes or the sun is too hot. And setup is like 5 minutes.
DSC_0063.jpeg

towee

I drove around plenty with my clamshell deployed no issues. I also think the “extra” interior volume in a clamshell is for the most part worthless.

I do like the tent style posted above especially in a hard shell version.

moose545

I have had both the Camshell (Autohome Columbus and the Autohome Extreme) . They both have advantages. The "Columbus", was my wife's favorite. She could stand up to bull up her jeans. Mine is the "Extreme" I am 6'2" and the length is just right for me. I like the extra rack on the top of it. The Columbus is the fastest to set up. My record was 18 seconds to closed to inside of the sleeping bag. I was timed my many people at different times. The Extreme is about 2 minutes. I never had any water intrusion with either. The Extreme is warmer in the snow because the roof is lower and when closed up it traps in more of your heat. Opened with the windows opened they seem to be the same temperature inside. When opening if it is windy push up on the gas struts in the Columbus and lock the finger wheel and I never got wind flapping noise. The Extreme with the crank a half turn and the sides are tight and no noise either. This is from spending over 250 night a year in the tents for well over 20 years.

Da Frenchman.

Good to see you here still, headed to ABQ again in July, if you're around love to show you my truck. Stay healthy! ~ Jon

Wallygator

Adventurer
I also only have experience with the clam shell style and I don't think I would want it any other way. My Eezi-Awn Blade is mounted on the a bed rack on my pickup. Undo two latches, lift the back, and I'm camping. Pull down on the cord, tuck in the sides, latch the two latches, and I'm moving again. Love this tent. The added head room vs the pop up style hard shell is a bonus. Try both if you can but for me, my situation, and style of camping, it's a clam shell all the way.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
The actual differences between "clamshell" and "pop-up" tents are how the manufacturer sets them up.

One of the main differences is the orientation of the fabric, pop-ups being vertical and clam shell more of an angle so gets beat on by rain more. The fabric on the clamshell therefore has to be more water resistant.

Pop up tents also have a much lower ceiling height. If you insulate the roof, you can use this to create hold the warmth. The difference can be as much as 10 to 15 degrees between inside and outside. This is with standard fabric walls, if the walls are insulated, the difference can be even more. Because of this the clamshell tents are more of a three season tents. The mattresses are generally thinner and the weight of the tent is usually a bit less. The clamshell tents are designed to open up more so are more warm weather friendly.

This is all mostly generalization now as there are so many manufacturers using all sorts of materials. The old school builders used to make the pop ups more for expedition use. Clamshell for more temperate climates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier