Features and annoyances of your 2010+ Tundra 5.7L

bikelanta

Adventurer
I’m curious to hear from current or former owners of 2010+ Tundra 5.7L regarding any features or annoyances of your truck that stick out. Things that you might not notice when looking at spec sheets or brochures, but come to mind after living with your truck for awhile. For example, while it’s annoying that I can’t adjust some features of the infotainment system on my GTI, it’s especially annoying that I can’t turn the display off while in motion. On the flip side, one thing we love on my wife’s Highlander is the tailgate glass that lifts independently, so you can pack more into that area.

What things come to mind about your truck? Both in general, but also related to outdoor outings?

Thanks for your thoughts.

D

Deleted member 9101

Pros:
Reliable.
Sounded amazing breathing through a Flowmaster exhaust.

Cons:
Rode like a 3/4 ton.
Got same fuel economy as a 3/4 ton.
Couldn't tow or haul like a 3/4 ton.
Poor visibility over the hood.
Extended cab was cramped for adults and rear facing child seats don't fit well.

I've had a first and second gen Tundra. Both were good trucks that did everything well, but nothing great. If the Tundra was more fuel efficient and priced cheaper I might have bought one instead of an F150.

tacollie

Glamper
Small fuel tank. 2014+ can have a bigger tank. Payload is low. We think it's super comfy. We love the truck but it'll be replaced with a 2017+ f250 one they come down in price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bikelanta

Adventurer
Extended cab was cramped for adults and rear facing child seats don't fit well.

Jnich77 - in relation to this item on a Gen 2, would they fit alright if mounted in the middle, or still an issue? This has been one I’ve been wondering about, but haven’t been able to go to the dealership to check the fit on kiddo’s seat. I’m 6’2” so I like the longer bed for potential to sleep in.

billiebob

Only 1 con for me, access, climbing in. Like all Japanese pickups I find the headroom, a pillar clearance way to short. Being slightly older and less flexible I have to slowly drag my head past the a pillar. My back and neck both hate the process.

I never have that issue with anything USA built, designed. Only the Ford Ranger, which is technically a Japanese Mazda is awkward. Ford, Chev, Dodge, Jeep are all way easier to get into.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Cons: Small fuel tank in my 2014, can be remedied I guess but it would be a little pricey (may do it anyways as extended range would be nice). And no drivers side grab handle after something like 2013. This one ways easily remedied with the addition of one. Plastic oil filter housing can crack or break if you torque on it, also easily remedied with a replacement aluminum housing from Lexus.

Pros: Simple and reliable and comfortable for me, and a ton of power. I never worry about it getting me there or back, ever.

100084503_10156909879316637_856046158152204288_o.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Jnich77 - in relation to this item on a Gen 2, would they fit alright if mounted in the middle, or still an issue? This has been one I’ve been wondering about, but haven’t been able to go to the dealership to check the fit on kiddo’s seat. I’m 6’2” so I like the longer bed for potential to sleep in.

It fit in the middle, which is fine when the kiddo is 10 pounds, not so fine when they are 20 pounds...lol.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Only 1 con for me, access, climbing in. Like all Japanese pickups I find the headroom, a pillar clearance way to short. Being slightly older and less flexible I have to slowly drag my head past the a pillar. My back and neck both hate the process.

I never have that issue with anything USA built, designed. Only the Ford Ranger, which is technically a Japanese Mazda is awkward. Ford, Chev, Dodge, Jeep are all way easier to get into.
Wasn't the Tundra designed and built in the US?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Same here I'm 6'4" and Japanese vehicles can be a challenge to get in and out. The FJ's the exception,but the seating position sucks. Neither my wife nor I could get comfortable in one. The Tacoma's low roofline and seats mounted too close to the floor confounds me also. My '07 Ram 2500 is easy to enter/exit but the Ford's boxier cabs are super easy.

Cons: Fuel economy, obviously. Lack of gizmos. It doesn’t have all auto windows like my 4Runner (I grew to really like that feature). No factory rear locker, even on the Pro or with the Off Road package (this is a real head scratcher for me). Low payload on the crew cab.

Pros: Reliability, obviously. I know it tows less than other 1/2 tons, but man it is awesome (I’ll be honest, if I’m going to pull over 8k lbs, I’m going to get a 3/4 ton). Pretty much everything else works great, too. Entire back window rolling down on the crew cab can help make up for the 5.5’ bed depending on what we’re hauling.

The best and worst thing about the Tundra is that its design is very old. Some people love that. Others hate it. To me, it is exactly as more reliable than, say, a Ford as it is behind the Ford in tech. Toyota is the master of milking a reliable platform. They’ll let it go for a while (6 years for the 2nd gen Tundra), and then they’ll do a facelift but no substantial changes to the platform. Lots of rumors about the 2021 MY...this will be the release of the actual 3rd gen...TT hybrid V6 with 450 hp and 30mpg. Supposedly confirmed by insiders. Game changer if true! Time will tell.

bkg

Explorer
Owned a 2010 Rock Warrior Cmax and a 2015 SR5 CrewMax.

Was never a big fan of the interior in the 07-13 trucks. But I did like the trans temp gauge.

2010:
Mileage: horrible
Fit and finish: horrible (compared to my wife's 4runner)
Transmission's tow/haul mode was useless, IMHO. I had a trans get very hot (2010) towing 6k lbs through Illinois... just kept hunting between 5 and 6
Frame was way too flexible

2015:
Mileage: Horrible
Fit and Finish: While I liked the interior refresh, it was no where near as well assembled as our 2015 4Runner
Center console: dividers were a dealer-only $60 item, IIRC
Backup Camera: Wife's 4Runner camera was brighter and more vibrant
Rear seat: No longer adjustable... no access to storage behind the seat, either
transmission: Tow/Haul mode still sucked... I gave up and manually shifted whenever towing a trailer
Missing trans temp gauge was a a bummer
Frame was still flexible. Installation of All Pro sliders had a positive impact on driveability
EnTune was HORRIBLE. Had the 2015 in the dealer 3 times in the first 4 weeks because the head unit would play static. Lead tech did some testing and found every Tundra in the lot had the same issue (i verified one). Wife's 4Runner doesn't have that issue.

Pros on both:
Brakes are awesome
Engine was a blast to drive and loved to rev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles