Ultimate F-450 Ski RV Build Thread

Transhaus

Here I'll be documenting the creation of the ultimate ski rig, from start to finish. Stay tuned! Hope you enjoy!

Project impetus:
I'm in my 30's. My knees are good. I got a few solid years of snowboarding left in me so I'm going to make them count. Currently located in Oregon, I am within reasonable distance from a large number of resorts west of the Rockies. My Taco has served me well for years, so why not just drive up and get some lodging? Well those costs will add up, and you can't put a price tag on some epic tailgating. Also I live within a stones throw of a ton of outdoor destinations, so in the non-winter months I would love to just throw the dog in the back and get out there. So I decided to get an RV.

Deciding on a platform:
You can find some sexy 4x4 Sprinters these days, but they are played out and around here are nothing more than glorified grocery-getters for the Patagucci crowd. I'm thinking along the lines of a budget Earthroamer. Not sure how many of you have half a milly to throw down on one of those, but I don't. And if I did, I would be too scared to get a scratch on it.
I think the idea of building an RV on a truck, rather than van, platform is great. And I figure if the company that is at the apex of the industry is doing it, then they know what they are doing. Not going to reinvent the wheel. Just going to copy their homework.

The plan:
Acquire F-450 Chassis. Check! I am now the proud owner of a gently used (10k miles) 2019 XLT 4x4 Dually Diesel. It is sitting pretty in the driveway as I type this.

Next big modification is super single conversion through Buckstop Truckware. Duallies are bad on snow and can get rocks stuck in between the wheels. No thanks. Going to skip that mess and convert to a super single through this company. Full disclosure: they aren't paying me anything. This isn't an advertisement. Just thought some of you might be curious (https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-wheel-conversions.html)

Then of course, there will be the coach. Hard side coach installed directly onto the chassis by Phoenix Pop Up campers out of Denver. Dropping off in October. Will be picking up in December. Decided on the hard side instead of the pop-up because it will be primarily used as a winter rig. I want the better insulation even though it comes at the price of a higher center of gravity. But I don't plan on doing any rock crawling, just fire roads. I also want people to not be able to tell it is occupied when I am in it. So I think this is the best set-up for my uses.

That's all for now. Pics of my chassis and some rough sketches included. Will update with new pics as things progress. Keep an eye on this thread if you wanna see the transformation.
Stay thirsty my friends,

-Aleks

PSX_20200525_124336.jpgChassis small.jpg

Ninelitetrip

Can you share more on the truck? Fleet truck, rental? Interesting that you got a used low mile chassis with no platform on the back. Any decisions on suspension?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles