What are your favorite motorcycle adventure movies?

MTVR

The Long Way Round, The Long Way Up, and The Long Way Down are obvious choices, even though they are actually TV series, not movies.

I think my favorite is the 2014 documentary "Road", narrated by Liam Neeson, featuring Michael Dunlop, his brother the late William Dunlop, their father the late Robert Dunlop, and Robert's brother the late Joey Dunlop. Like Michael, I held my father's hand as he passed- I cannot watch this movie without my eyes leaking. We visited Joey's statue above the Bungalow Curves on the Isle Of Man during the TT. It was moving.

My second-favorite would probably be "Dust To Glory", made by Dana Brown, son of Bruce Brown (maker of the iconic film "On Any Sunday").

And I think my third favorite would probably be "The World's Fastest Indian", featuring Sir Anthony Hopkins and based on the amazing true story of Kiwi Burt Munro, who at 68 years of age, using a 47 year old 1920 Indian Scout (original top speed of a little over 50 mph), did 205.67 mph at Bonneville, and set a land speed record that still stands today, more than 50 years later.

Honorable mention for the 1971 Burt Munro documentary "Offerings To The God Of Speed" that inspired TWFI.

Last edited:

MTVR

...and of course, we must pay homage to the 1971 Bruce Brown documentary "On Any Sunday", bankrolled by "The King Of Cool" Steve McQueen and featuring Malcom Smith and Mert Lawill, as well as McQueen. On Any Sunday went to such great lengths to repair the damage done by the "fake news" coverage of the 1947 Hollister "riots"...

Last edited:

MTVR

Even though it has nothing to do with motorcycle riding, I also appreciate the humor of the comedy film "Wild Hogs". Remember, that in order for comedy to be humorous, there has to be an element of truth to it...

MTVR

Yes. Bud Ekins did the jump in place of McQueen for insurance reasons, but McQueen was an expert motorcycle rider, and did most of the rest of his own riding, as well as portraying some of the German motorcyclists that were chasing his character.

Ditriz

Since I recently bought myself a motorcycle, it was six months ago, I also began to watch films about motorcyclists. I can point out five films where cool characters on motorcycles are implemented:
1. One Week
2. World’s Fastest Indian
3. Kill Bill Volume 1
4. Motorcycle Diaries
5. Terminator 2
Sometimes I watch these or other films on a projector at home. It's hard to call it a home theater, because I just connect a projector to my laptop. But I am planning to buy a good screen for the projector, now I am studying the information which is better to take gray or white. I am also planning to upgrade the audio system. Then it will be a full-fledged home theater. This weekend I am planning to watch an Easy Rider movie.

Last edited:

Jupiter58

I don’t find any of the movies that exciting. I prefer to read the thousands of trip reports on adventure rider that make any of these movies seem like a kids tricycle race. Thousands of tat cdr and bdr trips plus crazy around the world trips, Siberia, alaska, Africa, Mongolia, sa……. All on dual sports or dirt bikes. Some on road trips also.
The form on adv is to document every day of the trip in detail with mileage, photos, highs and lows, etc. incredible stuff, incredible people, incredible stories.
This is the one that got me hooked into
getting back into dual sports. From 2007. All Metal Jockeys reports are epic.

Angola, it's not like they said.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ey-said..269251/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Since then I have read thousands and even posted a few of my own.

You can go to epic ride reports and sort on views or likes and be blown away by what these people do on two wheels unsupported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles