Patriot Camper vs. Turtleback?

Exeter

Hey folks. Currently have a RAM 2500 with a Four Wheel Camper Hawk, but between myself, my wife and two large dogs, space is at a premium in the truck and camper. We are looking to potentially expand to include a pull behind trailer early next year. We are looking for a kitchen, on board water and storage (our Hawk is essentially a shell model with fridge and stove - but we tend to not cook in the camper). We will not use tents on it, but simply as a makeshift kitchen and storage area away from the camper. I've debated converting a M1101 over, but think something pre-built might suit us better. I truthfully lack the skills to build one out (welding/pipe bending/electrical, etc but would love to learn).

Anyone able to provide insight into the pro's or cons, or comparisons between why you would recommend one over the other? Debating between Patriot Camper X1-N or the Turtleback Expedition Trailer (no tent). Of course open to other ideas as well as we have lots of time to shop around.

Thanks for your time!

ttengineer

Adventurer
If you’re not going to mount a tent I would consider something lighter and more versatile than a PC or TB.

Xventure maybe the route you want to take. I think your dollar would go further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JackW

Explorer
I'm a camper geek that has spent more time looking at different campers than is altogether healthy. I first saw the Turtle Back campers a few years ago at Overland Expo East and was very impressed with the build quality but the next year the Patriot campers showed up and just blew me away. They really are some of the best campers I've ever seen. The Australians really know how to build a camper for the long haul that just works. Friends of mine have had a variety of Aussie campers and they've all been outstanding. I missed a great deal on a Patriot earlier this year, still kicking myself for that one.

Themightygoose

Hey folks. Currently have a RAM 2500 with a Four Wheel Camper Hawk, but between myself, my wife and two large dogs, space is at a premium in the truck and camper. We are looking to potentially expand to include a pull behind trailer early next year. We are looking for a kitchen, on board water and storage (our Hawk is essentially a shell model with fridge and stove - but we tend to not cook in the camper). We will not use tents on it, but simply as a makeshift kitchen and storage area away from the camper. I've debated converting a M1101 over, but think something pre-built might suit us better. I truthfully lack the skills to build one out (welding/pipe bending/electrical, etc but would love to learn).

Anyone able to provide insight into the pro's or cons, or comparisons between why you would recommend one over the other? Debating between Patriot Camper X1-N or the Turtleback Expedition Trailer (no tent). Of course open to other ideas as well as we have lots of time to shop around.

Thanks for your time!

When we decided to get a trailer, we saw how many options there are. Some made in USA, some in China, and lots from Australia. We narrowed it down to the Turtleback or the Patriot. We still wanted to camp, and not have an off-road RV, so that left a few options. The Opus also was interesting, but just too big. So once we had it narrowed down to the Turtleback or the Patriot, our only resource was online photos and videos. They really seemed comparable but the Turtleback seemed significantly cheaper. We were heavily leaning towards the Turtleback for this reason. I figured the increased price of the Patriot was due to importation costs and converting it to USA specs. Otherwise, I figured they were equal. But when you add in all the items to make a Turtleback comparable to the Patriot, they are very close in price. And the Patriot has options you just can't get on a Turtleback, like Webasto heater and Weber grill.

Fortunately we got a chance to see both at the 4WD expo in Orange County in March. Seeing them in person made a huge difference. The Turtleback is a very nicely built, and solid trailer. But the Patriot is in a whole different league. After we saw them in person, the decision was a no-brainer. The Patriot is definitely worth the extra cost if you can afford it. If not, the Turtleback is a very nice option. I really don't think there are other comparable options in the USA. We just received the Patriot and have a couple nights in it. I can't possibly be more excited.

I'm really happy with our choice.

We went out last weekend and pulled the trailer with our 4Runner. We drove over 100 miles, up a rough dirt road, an incline of nearly 5,000 feet and still got 19.3 miles per gallon. I couldn't believe it. So happy.

The X1-N is cool if you want to spec your own tent. Why are you looking for one without a tent? Do you prefer ground tents? I really like the integrated CS3 tent on the X1 or X1H. The stairwell is simple genius.

Last edited:

Exeter

When we decided to get a trailer, we saw how many options there are. Some made in USA, some in China, and lots from Australia. We narrowed it down to the Turtleback or the Patriot. We still wanted to camp, and not have an off-road RV, so that left a few options. The Opus also was interesting, but just too big. So once we had it narrowed down to the Turtleback or the Patriot, our only resource was online photos and videos. They really seemed comparable but the Turtleback seemed significantly cheaper. We were heavily leaning towards the Turtleback for this reason. I figured the increased price of the Patriot was due to importation costs and converting it to USA specs. Otherwise, I figured they were equal. But when you add in all the items to make a Turtleback comparable to the Patriot, they are very close in price. And the Patriot has options you just can't get on a Turtleback, like Webasto heater and Weber grill.

Fortunately we got a chance to see both at the 4WD expo in Orange County in March. Seeing them in person made a huge difference. The Turtleback is a very nicely built, and solid trailer. But the Patriot is in a whole different league. After we saw them in person, the decision was a no-brainer. The Patriot is definitely worth the extra cost if you can afford it. If not, the Turtleback is a very nice option. I really don't think there are other comparable options in the USA. We just received the Patriot and have a couple nights in it. I can't possibly be more excited.

I'm really happy with our choice.

We went out last weekend and pulled the trailer with our 4Runner. We drove over 100 miles, up a rough dirt road, an incline of nearly 5,000 feet and still got 19.3 miles per gallon. I couldn't believe it. So happy.

The X1-N is cool if you want to spec your own tent. Why are you looking for one without a tent? Do you prefer ground tents? I really like the integrated CS3 tent on the X1 or X1H. The stairwell is simple genius.

Thanks for the reply! We actually run a RAM 2500 with a Four Wheel Camper Hawk. The camper is a truck camper. I have a roll over couch model with the heater and AC unit. I do not have any onboard water with it though. Between my wife and I and two large dogs, there doesn't seem to be quite enough space for all of the items we are bringing, especially on longer trips. We are debating a trailer to couple with the camper, and having an onboard water supply would be quite nice. I am debating between buying a pre-fabricated trailer or trying to find an M1101 and fabricating something myself, but I have never done any of that work previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles