Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

OregonJKU

We'll see how lucky he feels in a few days... he also wants flat fenders like the ones I have on my JKU so I'll be teaching him how to make fiberglass parts this weekend. I hope to have him do most of the work himself, I'm tired of fiberglass work. If he does do most of the work, at least I'll feel lucky :).
LOL :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I sewed a spare tire trash/gear bag using factory premium soft top fabric.

TrashHopperBlackJKU1_zpskppbtldr.jpg

TrashHopperBlackJKU2_zps78vgmd3x.jpg

TrashHopperBlackJKU3_zpsqh7pjdkj.jpg

The first prototype was sewn from Spice soft top fabric.

TrashHopperJK3_zpsdicmpppg.jpg

I'll probably use the Spice on on the JKU because it matches the hardtop and I'll use the black one on the black LJ.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Robert and I installed the tailgate table in his JK.

TableInJK2_zpscpbmvqkq.jpg

TableInJK1_zps6yaoxmgq.jpg

Had to do it first thing because Robert wanted to test it by cooking his breakfast.

RobertBreakfast1_zpsts15nozs.jpg

He made fried aggs and toast.

RobertBreakfast2_zpsrelrcgss.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Robert doing fiberglass layup today:

RobertFiberglass_zpspqukhw5x.jpg

He made a set of 4 flat fenders for his JK. He did a nice job.

RobertMoldedFenders_zpsmcegjtjt.jpg

He molded them in black and plans to keep them that color. They're the same as the ones on my JKU:

FlatFendersFinal3_zpslmefcsr8.jpg

Tomorrow we'll pop them out of the molds, trim them and fit them to the Jeep. Photos to come.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Robert popping the fenders out of the mold this morning.

FlatFenderDemolding_zpsmpdcpl7v.jpg

The complete set of 4 just out of the molds. Next we trimmed them, washed the mold release off and began fitting them to the Jeep.

FlatFendersDemolded_zpsphdrquoy.jpg

We finished up the installation today and tomorrow we'll paint them. We molded them in black so that if they ever get chipped from stones the chips will show black, but rather than leaving the gloss black gelcoat finish we're doing matte black to match his grille so we'll do that with paint and matte clear.

ITTOG

Could you have used a gel coat instead of paint? I don't know why you would but curious. I assume paint would be the better option for a vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Could you have used a gel coat instead of paint? I don't know why you would but curious. I assume paint would be the better option for a vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
We molded the fenders in black, with black gelcoat. Because the mold has smooth, glossy surfaces, the fenders come out of the mold with a glossy finish. Gelcoat would be a fine finish for a vehicle, nothing wrong with that, but we wanted a matte finish to match the grille that's already on the Jeep and that's why we painted them.

This is a photo of the first set of fenders I made in these molds, you can see the gloss gelcoat finish:

FlatFendersWashed7_zpstuaibxk4.jpg

I painted those too, but for that Jeep I did them in body color...

FlatFendersFinal1_zpsjon5tctn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles