M416 modification?

Bad_al

hello all I am new to this forum and am working on a an old m416 trailer. Trying to restore it and add stuff to it. One of my questions is about adding a portion between the back and the fender and between the front and the fender. I have no idea what they are called. I jave added a picture I found and circled the part I'm talking about. How do I make that part to be strong enough to step on it every now and then to reach something on top of a rack. Thanks. Screenshot_20200515-081732_Chrome~2.jpg

Bad_al

Wow. Thanks. So I'm trying to figure out how I would add running boards on my m416 but make sure the are strong

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Just about anything welded from steel will be strong enough to step on, slide under a pickup and look at the mounts for running boards.

strong enough to hit a tree or rock? ... different story and there really isn’t a “strong enough” for that... easy to replace is probably a better strategy there.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Remember anything you mount to those "running boards" will be covered in mud , road grime and beat up with rocks.

M416 (2).jpg

CampStewart

Observer
If you just want something to stand on then 1.25 diameter steel tubing in a U shape welded to trailer frame would be about the simplest thing to fabricate.

Bad_al

Thanks for all the posts guys. I'm gonna go ahead and weld a tube directly to the frame and use a gusset or 2. Hopefully that will do the job. Just need to make sure I do a good welding job I guess.

Bad_al

Ok next question is. Does anyone know of a place that sells or has available tubs for the m416. My tub has the tail cut out and is pretty rusty. I'm sure its workable but its gonna need alot of work. Thanks

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Here's one for a M100 which I believe is the same tub. Kind of pricey but you might be able to find someone else making reproductions for less. Or you might find just a replacement rear panel and have it welded in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz