New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I agree kinda it’s difficult to make a vehicle have lots of flex and payload. Not to mention it needs to drive good.

LR has been doing this since 1948. They flexed well and met or exceeded payload of competitors at the time. Compare the flex/payload of a TJ vs a D1. LR could continue this engineering feat, however there is absolutely no incentive to do so when the new target market doesn't off-road or haul anything more than IKEA furniture.

1589216094662.png

onemanarmy

Explorer
Sure...I can go buy a used 60, 80, D90, whatever....but its so used.
Everything has decades of wear on it.....all the windows, wipers, interior, linkages, pumps, weatherstipping, brakes, etc....corrosion, outdated materials everywhere, hard to get parts. So lame.. Saying to just go buy something old isn't a valid response.
I want the opportunity to buy a NEW D90 or 110, with every single thing new. Sure, the body and frame will need to be beefed up, and air bags to meet regs, but thats it. Solid axles, coil springs, no funky suspension, manual trans, manual t case, removable doors and top...focus on dependability and reliability instead of styling (the styling was already there!). JLR had 60 years of lineage to build upon.....didn't hit the broad side of the barn.
Not a rebodied Disco.
You can update and improve without going 180 degrees.

onemanarmy

Explorer
"the demand for off-road utilitarian vehicles is so incredibly large, that such a case need not be limiting."

Why don't you look up European sales figures for the old Defender? LR sold less than 1500 of them each year from 2011-2016. For reference, Ferrari sells approximately 8,400 cars per year. The demand that you state is there simply isn't.

Ferrari has many models.
JLR does too. JLR sold many more than 1500 vehicles last year.

nickw

Adventurer
LR has been doing this since 1948. They flexed well and met or exceeded payload of competitors at the time. Compare the flex/payload of a TJ vs a D1. LR could continue this engineering feat, however there is absolutely no incentive to do so when the new target market doesn't off-road or haul anything more than IKEA furniture.

View attachment 585020
We went from having a good natured, if not slightly detouring convo about the Defender to what...this low brow, "fashion" Defender rhetoric and these juvenile pics you spend too much time googling to get. It really detracts from a more reasonable, if not slightly pedantic, convo TBH.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
We went from having a good natured, if not slightly detouring convo about the Defender to what...this low brow, "fashion" Defender rhetoric and these juvenile pics you spend too much time googling to get. It really detracts from a more reasonable, if not slightly pedantic, convo TBH.

1589219187780.png

This thread was lacking hate/rage, but now one can almost smell it. Fortunately, you could "create a natural, custom scent with your own personal blend of essentials oils." I guess it's what the fashion Defender market is into.

1589219468678.png

JeepColorado

I don't think it's in any way "low brow" to note that LR models have lost the way and become "fashion" baubles of the auto-world. Do you honestly believe that a Velar was designed by a company that is focused on life after the pavement ends? I think the Defender is actually a step back in the right direction- problem is- it's just a step when to get what we should have gotten they would have had to take a leap.

RoyJ

Adventurer
No..
But referring to the 200 as the 40’ line is like referring to the Discovery as a preceding of the series II /Defender branch.
And who claim such, only emphasis its lack of knowledge in product lines.
And when he use it as an example.. well, what can I say more?

So again, Toyota can spin off a different line / platform, and can still wear the exact same nameplate, letters l-a-n-d c-r-u-i-s-e-r

But Land Rover can't use the "Defender" nameplate on another line.

Got it.

JackW

Explorer
Defender is just a name that was created just because the Discovery was about to be introduced to the American market.

The important name (as it has been for seventy years) is Land Rover. I would be perfectly happy if the new vehicle lives up to THAT name plate.

Getting all bent out of shape because they decided to reuse a made up name from the 1990's is kinda dumb. I've been driving Land Rovers since 1972.

DieselRanger

LR has been doing this since 1948. They flexed well and met or exceeded payload of competitors at the time. Compare the flex/payload of a TJ vs a D1. LR could continue this engineering feat, however there is absolutely no incentive to do so when the expanded target market doesn't exclusively off-road or haul anything more than IKEA furniture.
FTFY
Nope. Don't want one, now. It's not a Defender.
It's a decent effort I guess, but is focused on far too many of the wrong things.
So just delete the brand badging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles