Does this plug type have a name?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Mate that Plug/Lead is on the shelf in over 5000 Stores World Wide, I just bought 3 of them so how can you say that they are discontinued,

"Discontinued" in the sense that the IEC no longer lists that plug configuration in the standards. Someone designing new product to IEC standards would not be choosing that particular connector type, so the cabling will not be as ubiquitous as the IEC C13 (every PC power supply) or IEC C8 (most stereos and A/V equipment) connectors.

For example, a search on Amazon US for "IEC C11 cable" turns up zero correct options, while "IEC C13 cable" turns up literally hundreds of options.

gillbrak

Standard ciggie sockets are IMO a dangerous abortion, avoid like the plague for anything important, or that you use regularly. Never more than 5-6A and only for short periods, as in a few minutes. Even then they are risky, an inherently poor design!

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (
Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Anderson plugs for high amps, for me my standard, for almost all power connections.

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.

For you guys converting these to Anderson plugs how are you pre-cooling the fridge from home 110V? Or are you not doing that?

john61ct

Adventurer
For you guys converting these to Anderson plugs how are you pre-cooling the fridge from home 110V? Or are you not doing that?

The connector used for DC is irrelevant to your question.

Especially if the fridge has AC input to run off mains, just use that.

john61ct

Adventurer
The connector on the right is a "Right-Angle IEC C11".
Are you sure about that?

Or just eyeballing it? If correct, great job sleuthing, I guess IEC listings I was scanning were only current standards.

Proprietary plugs abound, the companies make huge profits forcing consumers to source only from them.

Fact that the Sawafuji name is molded right in gives a clue.

If the standard is discontinued, in effect back to being proprietary anyway.

If Mouser, Digi, Newark etc don't carry them, check Ali maybe.

Or just pay ARB etc their pound of flesh

67cj5

Man On a Mission
"Discontinued" in the sense that the IEC no longer lists that plug configuration in the standards. Someone designing new product to IEC standards would not be choosing that particular connector type, so the cabling will not be as ubiquitous as the IEC C13 (every PC power supply) or IEC C8 (most stereos and A/V equipment) connectors.

For example, a search on Amazon US for "IEC C11 cable" turns up zero correct options, while "IEC C13 cable" turns up literally hundreds of options.
Well I don't seeing how that effects supply and demand because ARB and Dometic Still supply these Leads with their fridges and also sell them as One of their listed Parts, If you scroll down this link you will see that ARB Still supply the Very Lead with their new fridges and as an Accessory, The IEC is wrong, the proof is in that link.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I use my Spare batteries to cool my fridge down, I also have 2 ARB fridges plus the 2 AC Leads and Five of those Leads Shown in the first post.

john61ct

Adventurer
Well I don't seeing how that effects supply and demand because ARB and Dometic Still supply these Leads with their fridges and also sell them as One of their listed Parts, If you scroll down this link you will see that ARB Still supply the Very Lead with their new fridges and as an Accessory, The IEC if is wrong, the proof is in that link.

You are misunderstanding.

The IEC maintaining it as a standard would be encouraging **other** generic cheaper availability.

If only available from a couple sources, because no longer a standard, called proprietary, thus they can get away with charging more.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
You are misunderstanding.

The IEC maintaining it as a standard would be encouraging **other** generic cheaper availability.

If only available from a couple sources, because no longer a standard, called proprietary, thus they can get away with charging more.
Thanks for that, It did make me wonder about it when I just bought 3 of them and the matching sockets, LOL (y)

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes the **standard** being discontinued

has nothing to do with products that conform to "what used to be a standard" being available or not.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So that could mean it's replacement could be higher or lower spec Yes ??

I know these appear to be good solid leads, I bought the extra leads because My ARB's have them but my 3 Dometic's come with the cheaper leads with the Red End on them plus I wanted one to fit an Anderson Plug on to,

john61ct

Adventurer
No, again no relationship.

The standards body has nothing to say on these anymore.

What the compressor / fridge manufacturers do is up to them.

Likely they just continue making them the same as long as they are fit for purpose.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
That's the beauty of a standard, easy enough to check: 10mm pin spacing. If I was at the office, I'd have access to the IEEE archives and could tell you every dimension down to the radius of the corners.

Edit: Here's the full spec of the C9/C10 connector pair, which are the same except for the polarizing notch (and not discontinued, which is why I can still get the specs without going to the archive):

IEC-320_C9.pngIEC-320_C10.png

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
The fridge end looks a lot like the end on a computer PC / power supply cord. Maybe such could be modified to fit and the other end re-plugged to fit whatever you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles