2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Oh you actually installed them, didn't just toss em in like my lazy ass! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Looks good to me!

Hahahaha. Yeah just installed them since I had them laying around.

THINKING aka GUESSING if theyre installed on one side or the other, it wont throw the computer off when if they swapped sides just bouncing around in the tube. I dunno, could be making a mountain out of a mole hill and the PVC might explode at 80psi. I dunno! :p

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
LOL I think PVC is rated for a lot more than 80, but I did wrap mine in duct tape just to minimize shrapnel if it did explode. It won't care if the sides are swapped, not really any different than rotating tires.

Wilbah

Adventurer
That's a really cool solution to the pressure monitoring "issue". Simple is good!

I didnt know that about the ARB compressors. I always assumed it would be better to have a tank to have extra air available, especially for air tools etc.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Did it work properly?

Hahahahahahahahaha

Well..... What is "Properly"?

Redid it with better materials, reset codes, quick test run, truck immediately recognized it, and all was glorious, happy and fixed. Everything working as planned. And then...

Arrive at buddies shop 10 mins later, BOOM, what the hell was that? Hey, look way over there, that's my TPMS tube.... Lets grab that, i need to redo it

PROTIP: Black Pipe Cement really does take 3 hours to fully cure!

So yeah, i figured out the solution. Now to do it proper and not go to jail for detonating explosives :p

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I didnt know that about the ARB compressors. I always assumed it would be better to have a tank to have extra air available, especially for air tools etc.

@Wilbah i thought the same thing as well, until a buddy convinced me to test the theory in real life.

He was spot on correct. Took half the time to fill a 35" tire with the Dual ARB and NO, then it did WITH a tank.

His explanation of why:

The ARB is a 100% duty cycle compressor which means it can run non stop at its 100% CFM output, which is around 6CFM or so.

Air hose diameter takes up minimal pressure, so compressor to tire via hose is almost a direct connection, so its pumping all 6cfm the entire time you're airing up. I've tested this at least a half dozen times airing up 8 (me and a friends trucks) 35's from 30 to 60psi. Compressor doesnt skip a beat running at 100%.

Now... Add a tank to the mix. Try this in person for better grasp, i had to. Each time you connect the valve to the tire, youll get a burst of air and then the compressor plays catch up because it has to build up the pressure in the tank first and then send it to the tire.

Probably a crap explanation. I've been day drinking, hence exploding TPMS tube. Ya win some, ya blow some up. What can i say? :p

But yeah, a tank is not even remotely needed with the ARB Dual, i've tested it 6 ways to Sunday's that it operates better without one. Lots of folks still adding tanks, just because that how it was done back in the day. For each is own.

And yeah, i've tested all my air tools with it and zero issues at all.

The Dual ARB is a WORKHORSE

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Hahahahahahahahaha

Well..... What is "Properly"?

Redid it with better materials, reset codes, quick test run, truck immediately recognized it, and all was glorious, happy and fixed. Everything working as planned. And then...

Arrive at buddies shop 10 mins later, BOOM, what the hell was that? Hey, look way over there, that's my TPMS tube.... Lets grab that, i need to redo it

PROTIP: Black Pipe Cement really does take 3 hours to fully cure!

So yeah, i figured out the solution. Now to do it proper and not go to jail for detonating explosives :p

LOOOOOL! Well i'm glad it worked, but that is absolutely hilarious! Lucky it didn't go boom when you were driving, those tpms sensors are expensive!!!!

flylow4500

Observer
@Wilbah i thought the same thing as well, until a buddy convinced me to test the theory in real life.

He was spot on correct. Took half the time to fill a 35" tire with the Dual ARB and NO, then it did WITH a tank.

His explanation of why:

The ARB is a 100% duty cycle compressor which means it can run non stop at its 100% CFM output, which is around 6CFM or so.

Air hose diameter takes up minimal pressure, so compressor to tire via hose is almost a direct connection, so its pumping all 6cfm the entire time you're airing up. I've tested this at least a half dozen times airing up 8 (me and a friends trucks) 35's from 30 to 60psi. Compressor doesnt skip a beat running at 100%.

Now... Add a tank to the mix. Try this in person for better grasp, i had to. Each time you connect the valve to the tire, youll get a burst of air and then the compressor plays catch up because it has to build up the pressure in the tank first and then send it to the tire.

Probably a crap explanation. I've been day drinking, hence exploding TPMS tube. Ya win some, ya blow some up. What can i say? :p

But yeah, a tank is not even remotely needed with the ARB Dual, i've tested it 6 ways to Sunday's that it operates better without one. Lots of folks still adding tanks, just because that how it was done back in the day. For each is own.

And yeah, i've tested all my air tools with it and zero issues at all.

The Dual ARB is a WORKHORSE

6cfm is at 0psi of resistance
4cfm at 29psi and they don’t list anything above that.

Duty cycle is how long It can run and how long it needs to cool. Nothing to do with output performance.

Did you do work with the tools you tested? Most air tool use about 6cfm at 90psi. In this case the arb isn’t even close to making the air the tool needs. This is where a tank comes in, it can store more pressure than needed so you have a constant pressure for longer (a regulator will be needed for this.)

You are correct in that filling a tire with a tank will take longer because the total volume is greater that has to be pressurized (think 35” tire plus tank might be close to the volume of a 37” tire.)

The benifit of a tank is it allows a greater CFM at a higher psi than the compressor can produce.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
6cfm is at 0psi of resistance
4cfm at 29psi and they don’t list anything above that.

Duty cycle is how long It can run and how long it needs to cool. Nothing to do with output performance.

Did you do work with the tools you tested? Most air tool use about 6cfm at 90psi. In this case the arb isn’t even close to making the air the tool needs. This is where a tank comes in, it can store more pressure than needed so you have a constant pressure for longer (a regulator will be needed for this.)

You are correct in that filling a tire with a tank will take longer because the total volume is greater that has to be pressurized (think 35” tire plus tank might be close to the volume of a 37” tire.)

The benifit of a tank is it allows a greater CFM at a higher psi than the compressor can produce.

Yeah , I prefaced my post admitting I didn’t understand this, and why it worked how it did all that well. :)

I just posted real world results. Tested close to a dozen times, probably more.

Yes, we did some work with the compressor and air tools. For poops and giggles, removed all lug nuts, put them back, etc.. zero issues.

Only air tool that couldn’t run much was the cutoff wheel. It ran, but poorly.

In all reality, I ditched all my air tools years ago and switched over to the 18v Milwaukee stuff, so the air tools aren’t used at home or on trail.

In 20+ years off-roading id estimate 98% of the times I’ve seen on board air being used, it was for airing up tires. Only seen air tools used on the trails a handful of times. Generally at the end of the day, and ya want it done as fast as possible

Most folks I know have ditched air tools altogether, because the new cordless stuff has come so far and it’s stronger and faster.

But... good info on the tank if needed for tools. Not quite sure what tool on the trail would need so much air, but options are good! ??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles