Canadians... What's it really like?

jeep670

Adventurer
Gotta start somewhere. The opposition is pretty quiet on this, something tells me they know being vocal opponents to an assault weapons buy back would hit them with a massive backlash. Canadians want this. The vocal minority screaming you can't do this are going to find out yes they can. This is a program similar to buy back programs other Commonwealth countries have done. Nothing new here. It works.
The opposition is not quiet

Wrathchild

Ruger Mini-14 not on the list . Semi auto, 5.56 or 7.62 variants. Functionally the same as an AR. But it doesn’t look scary enough to get banned I guess.

Sorry Canadians brothers and sisters to the north. This stuff isn’t fair. Same nonsense they pull here in California where the urban majority rules everywhere else.

jeep670

Adventurer
Gotta start somewhere. The opposition is pretty quiet on this, something tells me they know being vocal opponents to an assault weapons buy back would hit them with a massive backlash. Canadians want this. The vocal minority screaming you can't do this are going to find out yes they can. This is a program similar to buy back programs other Commonwealth countries have done. Nothing new here. It works.

Red90

Adventurer
Ruger Mini-14 not on the list . Semi auto, 5.56 or 7.62 variants. Functionally the same as an AR. But it doesn’t look scary enough to get banned I guess.

Sorry Canadians brothers and sisters to the north. This stuff isn’t fair. Same nonsense they pull here in California where the urban majority rules everywhere else.

Yes it is. There is an entire section just for them.

Wrathchild

See it now. I also saw the ban list with pics. They picked the mini-14 with pistol grip, rails etc instead of the wood stock version. Bet 10 bucks you put the two side by side to the clowns writing these laws, they’d say the wood stock one was fine.

Ducstrom

It's unreal that this ban was pushed through without a parliamentary process during a pandemic.

This will do nothing to reduce gun violence in Canada. Many unbanned and non-restricted firearms have the same magazine capacity as these now prohibited guns, semi-automatic actions, and in many cases even have more powerful rounds.

This is simply a political move to make people who don't know firearms feel better that the government is banning scary looking firearms.

I'd like to know where the tax revenue will be taken from to pay for all the buybacks.

I also don't understand the grandfather clause. I mean, one of the main arguments for the ban was that these firearms could be stolen from a home safe and used illegally. If they're grandfathered, what's changed in that regard?

docwatson

Adventurer
That is not what he said. He said they can use them until they can get a replacement. Everyone else must stop use today. Once the buyback is law they will take them away.
“These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only — only to kill the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time,” Trudeau said. (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/05/justin-trudeau-bans-all-assault-weapons-in-canada/)

Isn't allowing some to continue to use them for hunting, for however long, an admission that they aren't only designed for killing people?

billiebob

“These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only — only to kill the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time,” Trudeau said. (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/05/justin-trudeau-bans-all-assault-weapons-in-canada/)

Isn't allowing some to continue to use them for hunting, for however long, an admission that they aren't only designed for killing people?
He also is giving the rest of us a 2 year amnesty to get rid of them. MOST legislation gets phased in. Some people try to twist the facts.

billiebob

75% of Canadians want Assault Weapons gone, period.

Cannot argue more needs to be done at the borders. More needs to be done to rid guns from gangs. I love the questions asked in this interview but the answers are incredibly weak. Canadians want a ban on assault rifles yesterday. Trudeau promised this years ago. Nothing emotional about the decision, this is following thru on a promise 75% of us want. I agree too little too late or about time and a good place to start.

Yes police do want more tools to stop illegal import of guns, they also want fewer weapons available, period.

The person using emotional issues is Andrew Scheer when he references why did it take the police so long to find the guy, it took 16 hours. How did the guy get a uniform, I'll bet stealing a uniform is easier than stealing a gun. Andrew is not doing anything to improve his standing.

I still cannot understand why I cannot drink a beer on my way home from work. But even if I am not impaired it seems that is illegal too.

Even working around my house, the bylaw says no noise before 7am. No lawn mower, no table saw, no pressure washer. Not an issue that is why we are a democracy, when 75% of the population wants something, eventually it happens.

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
He also is giving the rest of us a 2 year amnesty to get rid of them. MOST legislation gets phased in. Some people try to twist the facts.
Given the Trudeau quote and my question, "twist the facts" is an interest choice of words. I find it disingenuous to act like a semi auto in 223 can only be used for killing people. That's patently false.

I'm interested in how this all plays out for you all.

Last edited:

Ducstrom

75% of Canadians want Assault Weapons gone, period.

Cannot argue more needs to be done at the borders. More needs to be done to rid guns from gangs. I love the questions asked in this interview but the answers are incredibly weak. Canadians want a ban on assault rifles yesterday. Trudeau promised this years ago. Nothing emotional about the decision, this is following thru on a promise 75% of us want. I agree too little too late or about time and a good place to start.

Yes police do want more tools to stop illegal import of guns, they also want fewer weapons available, period.

The person using emotional issues is Andrew Scheer when he references why did it take the police so long to find the guy, it took 16 hours. How did the guy get a uniform, I'll bet stealing a uniform is easier than stealing a gun. Andrew is not doing anything to improve his standing.

I still cannot understand why I cannot drink a beer on my way home from work. But even if I am not impaired it seems that is illegal too.

Even working around my house, the bylaw says no noise before 7am. No lawn mower, no table saw, no pressure washer. Not an issue that is why we are a democracy, when 75% of the population wants something, eventually it happens.

I'd like to know what were the demographics used for that poll. I could conduct a similar 'survey' concluding opposite results.
Like the Global News Ipsos survey done showing 52% of Canadians think all guns should be illegal.
Which states, "Though the polling only captured the views of Canadians in urban centres — not rural areas"
It's another example of urban Canada making decisions that impact people and places they have no interaction with.

Also, a rock or a pencil can be an 'assault weapon'. Descriptions like this are media driven terms to promote an emotional response.

One thing is for sure. The current government is doing a bang up job of dividing the citizens of this country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles