Damaged MAN Expedition truck

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Heavy D mentions that "...an insurance company called us up and asked if we wanted to buy it. So we took a gamble and bought it sight unseen for $10k...". Maybe that's just Hollywood BS. Also, if you watch the full episode, he says they are $21k into the truck (10k purchase price + 5k tow + 6k parts labor) and at the end of the episode he sells the truck to a guy who wants to take it to Idaho for $65k.

If that in fact was true....perhaps the Idaho guy is trying to get his $65k back or the sale never went through because the truck is still sitting at the Diesel Brothers lot. The truck looks like its toast but as others have mentioned the box seems pretty primo if you have the skill set to deal with it.

My $0.02, I'd have to believe that an insurance company (they're in the money generating business) would ask for a whole lot more than $10k for this rig.

I think a company like Acela should buy it. It would sell in no time!

A great idea! Link has been sent to Ross/David over there.

Msand

Importer
I contacted them, and the vehicle needs to be exported soon- regardless of who buys it, its US permit is almost up so it has to leave the country.

mexjtc

I contacted them, and the vehicle needs to be exported soon- regardless of who buys it, its US permit is almost up so it has to leave the country.

Did they give you a date?

If, let’s say, I bought the truck and choose to part it out does that count as leaving the country?

Just scratching my head.

I’m here in Mexico and we have MAN trucks available. Lots of MAN buses too. I wonder if I could import it and actually get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Msand

Importer
Did they give you a date?

If, let’s say, I bought the truck and choose to part it out does that count as leaving the country?

Just scratching my head.

I’m here in Mexico and we have MAN trucks available. Lots of MAN buses too. I wonder if I could import it and actually get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could 'export' it to Mexico, but getting that though customs and shipping it down there would be one hell of a job, especially with a bill of sale and the possibility of receiving a title. Also, a new engine and tranny, along with frame repair would cost upwards of $105,000 and thats in UK, so add shipping of those parts ($8000+)

The box is worth $100,000. but you can tell its designed specifically for that MAN so refitting it on another chassis would be difficult.

ovrland6250

You could 'export' it to Mexico, but getting that though customs and shipping it down there would be one hell of a job, especially with a bill of sale and the possibility of receiving a title. Also, a new engine and tranny, along with frame repair would cost upwards of $105,000 and thats in UK, so add shipping of those parts ($8000+)

The box is worth $100,000. but you can tell its designed specifically for that MAN so refitting it on another chassis would be difficult.

Great knowledge!

Keyne

Adventurer
Too bad its not a regular Action Mobil box without a lifting roof. IMO It would be much easier to apply to another chassis without the lifting roof. Depending on the condition the box could be worth a lot more than $100K. Heck XP offered to make a cube for $125K and that certainly was not an Action Mobil. If someone wanted to make their own box I think this would be a quicker and potentially cheaper or break-even solution vs DIY. Maybe offer $50K and add it to an Acela or Mercedes chassis.

moodybloo

I think the vehicle has to be moved out of the nafta region(usa/canada/mexico).within 12 months of entry as the owner would have signed to say it would be removed and not sold.

Keyne

Adventurer
Here is a link to the truck on the Action Mobil site.

http://www.actionmobil.com/en/2-axle/atacama/atacama-5000-hd?id=185

Also, it appeared in what looks like the Action Mobil newsletter with some more descriptions and pics. Looks like there is only storage behind that rolling cover behind the couch (below the bed).

OvrlndN00b

I am in the process of attempting to purchase the vehicle for export back to Europe. I believe as a result of this ad/post the seller is currently being overwhelmed by inquiries. Under the circumstances this is not a simple sale..what moodybloo is saying about NAFTA region is correct, there are a lot of moving parts involved to make this happen. As a result of all the calls the seller has turned of his phone, which has made it very difficult to ask the questions I need answers too negotiate terms and finalize the deal ... This is just a kind request to kindred spirits, that unless you are in a position to make an offer to purchase and then export the truck, that you do not contact the seller.

Msand

Importer
I am in the process of attempting to purchase the vehicle for export back to Europe. I believe as a result of this ad/post the seller is currently being overwhelmed by inquiries. Under the circumstances this is not a simple sale..what moodybloo is saying about NAFTA region is correct, there are a lot of moving parts involved to make this happen. As a result of all the calls the seller has turned of his phone, which has made it very difficult to ask the questions I need answers too negotiate terms and finalize the deal ... This is just a kind request to kindred spirits, that unless you are in a position to make an offer to purchase and then export the truck, that you do not contact the seller.
That's going to be a expensive logistical nightmare, roll on roll off shipping and it doesn't start, you could ship it open plate tie down but no company would insure it. easy $3,000-$5,000 to just ship it to the nearest port, $4,000-$6,000 to ship it etc etc

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
That's going to be a expensive logistical nightmare, roll on roll off shipping and it doesn't start, you could ship it open plate tie down but no company would insure it. easy $3,000-$5,000 to just ship it to the nearest port, $4,000-$6,000 to ship it etc etc

By my estimations.. even if the shipping back to Europe cost $20k and the repairs cost $50k (which are both WAY high) ... there is still a good deal of profit to be made on this.
These vehicles are insanely expensive.

-Dan

Joe917

Explorer
There will be a ton of paperwork to go through plus getting screwed by the shipping companies, but if the box is good there is a good cheap truck here. whoever buys it will need cash and have to move fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles