2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Starting to look at options for the subframe and box assembly.

Turns out local builders timeline might not work out for me.

Had contemplated ITB in Victoria for it all, but not sure I can get it over the border right now.

Anyone have one done personally in the western US?

Would be a 12ft box with the 4ft cab over area.

Ideas and options?

Thanks
The borders are closed. We have several US customers that either can’t get the truck into B.C. or can’t pick up after completion. our camper bodies are still being delivered all over the USA. There are several on the way. We have a builder in Olympia WA , Southern California, Montana, Utah, Ohio

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The borders are closed. We have several US customers that either can’t get the truck into B.C. or can’t pick up after completion. our camper bodies are still being delivered all over the USA. There are several on the way. We have a builder in Olympia WA , Southern California, Montana, Utah, Ohio

Thanks @Victorian, that sucks!

Who’s the Utah builder?

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What started out as a simple "Just going to do this simple mod to clean things up a bit" turned into a $300 oopsy, and 2 days or tearing into the dash! :p

I had originally mounted 2 Ram balls to the upper portion of the dash to mount my GPS and InReach. This required 8 small holes into what appeared to be an easily replaceable piece if i ever decided to go back. WRONG...

I've used the same Ram ball mounts in many different trucks with great results and never had an issue. With this particular location i put them, there wasn't enough support, and even with just the inreach mounted, the top dash piece flexed and made a lot of noise while driving.

Couple friends turned me onto: https://www.67d.com/

On their instagram page, they had photos of their products installed on my exact truck, and it looked super clean and stable. And with the 12v plug up in the pocket, i could do it without any wires flopping around.

Ordered the parts, and when they arrived, the quality was quite impressive. But the install kit included riv nuts, so you didnt have to take the dash apart and use fender washers from the bottom.

Well, i wanted maximum stability so i took the dash apart since i had to replace "that little plastic piece i drilled"

Long story short said little plastic piece, was not available separately and i needed to buy the entire front console panel. DOH!

It was an ordeal to get it all apart and swap the parts over, but im very happy with the outcome, fit and finish. I need to order some shorter arms though

IMG_6490.jpg

image1.jpeg

67d_1_FORUM.jpg

67d_2_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Two awnings? Which brand of awning do you plan to use? I was thinking Thule, but not decided on anything.

Hahahaha

That’s the same image, just mirrored and poorly photoshopped :)

I don’t really plan on an awning, and if I do get one, it won’t be anytime soon. Low priority.

I had a Fiamma on my FWC and I used it twice (both times for rain) in 1.5 years and 100+ nights camping.

The fiamma was built very well and easy to deploy

Truck/Camper will be tall enough, shade won’t be an issue. I’ll just move chair to the side that has the shade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles