ExPo's Lexus GX470 Overland Project

Scott Brady

Founder
It has been such a long time since we embarked on a new project vehicle. Crazy to think it has been over 10 years since the Discovery I project and that I have been driving the G-Wagen for over a decade (finished that project over four years ago). So, in mid-2018 I purchased a 2007 GX470 as a new project, but then a bunch of travel hit and it pretty much sat or was used for daily driver duties. But that is all about to change :)

Here it is in stock form. Non-KDSS model with Nav. We have some fun plans for it, which we will start to post here.
B7041202.jpg
The GX is fairly impressive in stock form, reflecting its Prado / 4Runner / FJCruiser underpinnings.

B7041224.jpg
ExPo white ;) Needs an ARB front bumper and a Warn winch

B7041219.jpg
This shows the rear airbags at the off-road height. I am considering keeping airbags as a test. Have some ideas on how to do that properly with a lift.

B7041217.jpg
The breakover angle is a not-so-bueno, but a lift and 33"+ tires should help. Will most likely avoid an aftermarket bumper to save weight. The first modification is going to be the ACC Garage spare tire holder (called the Becky), which is a clever piece of kit. I have never liked the idea of an undermounted spare, for a "thousand" different reasons. Mostly, the tire size I selected will not fit in the stock location.

B7041235.jpg
Great vehicle - no wonder they have become such a popular overland choice.

Next steps:
Install the ACC Garage Spare Tire Mount
Remove the side steps
Mount the new Toyo AT3s on the DOT AEV beadlocks
Start the wiring and electronics. I always find that doing ALL of the electronics and wiring first really helps with all of the future stages.

Updates soon!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Looking forward to this build. How many miles are on it? That ACC Garage mount is very similar to the JW Off-Road spare mount for both the 470 and 460. I just can't bring myself to drill holes in the rear door, but like yourself I am not too keen on hanging a bunch of weight off of the back either.

F350joe

It has been such a long time since we embarked on a new project vehicle. Crazy to think it has been over 10 years since the Discovery I project and that I have been driving the G-Wagen for over a decade (finished that project over four years ago). So, in mid-2018 I purchased a 2007 GX470 as a new project, but then a bunch of travel hit and it pretty much sat or was used for daily driver duties. But that is all about to change :)

Here it is in stock form. Non-KDSS model with Nav. We have some fun plans for it, which we will start to post here.
View attachment 581505
The GX is fairly impressive in stock form, reflecting its Prado / 4Runner / FJCruiser underpinnings.

View attachment 581506
ExPo white ;) Needs an ARB front bumper and a Warn winch

View attachment 581507
This shows the rear airbags at the off-road height. I am considering keeping airbags as a test. Have some ideas on how to do that properly with a lift.

View attachment 581508
The breakover angle is a not-so-bueno, but a lift and 33"+ tires should help. Will most likely avoid an aftermarket bumper to save weight. The first modification is going to be the ACC Garage spare tire holder (called the Becky), which is a clever piece of kit. I have never liked the idea of an undermounted spare, for a "thousand" different reasons. Mostly, the tire size I selected will not fit in the stock location.

View attachment 581509
Great vehicle - no wonder they have become such a popular overland choice.

Next steps:
Install the ACC Garage Spare Tire Mount
Remove the side steps
Mount the new Toyo AT3s on the DOT AEV beadlocks
Start the wiring and electronics. I always find that doing ALL of the electronics and wiring first really helps with all of the future stages.

Updates soon!

Awesome, slowly building out mine too. 39C3350E-6FC5-493D-AD33-23988A1F935A.jpeg I managed to get my 255/80 33.1” into the spare location deflated a little and pulled away from the panhard with a ratchet strap. Sits nice an high so doesn't affect the departure angle. Im keeping, the roof clear for my canoe and the rear i plan to mount a ladder to put gas and propane.

I have all my old suspension parts if you do keep it stock and need to replace something, All in good condition, never offroad, free for you of you need it.

Ghost Who Walks

Ghost Who Walks
Nice,
Very nice.
Will be following this with a lot of Interest.
I have a 2005 Prado 120(Aussie)
4.0 6 speed manual
2 inch lift (KYB Skorched 4 shocks/Kings heavy duty springs)
Hankook Dynapro RF10 tyres and all fluids changed to Redline Oils.Its got 250000km on it, and still like new
Very capable, very underrated vehicle. Easily do 1000km days, or crawl around the trails with everyone else.

Scott Brady

Founder
That ACC Garage mount is very expensive for what equates to standard equipment here in Australia.
Would be worth under $100 AUD from a wrecker
When I was exploring Tasmania in a Prado, I took all the measurements, and the factory tire carrier does not translate to the Lexus. The entire door is quite different structurally, although the hinges are the same position. The Prado door is also recessed slightly for the mount and for the tire. Prado.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a 2005 Prado 120(Aussie)
4.0 6 speed manual
2 inch lift (KYB Skorched 4 shocks/Kings heavy duty springs)
Hankook Dynapro RF10 tyres and all fluids changed to Redline Oils.Its got 250000km on it, and still like new
Very capable, very underrated vehicle. Easily do 1000km days, or crawl around the trails with everyone else.
Great vehicle! I have really enjoyed my time driving Prados, which is what prompted the GX purchase. I must admit, this was my favorite Prado to drive ;)
Ranger_Hoodie_.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Looking forward to this build. How many miles are on it? That ACC Garage mount is very similar to the JW Off-Road spare mount for both the 470 and 460. I just can't bring myself to drill holes in the rear door, but like yourself I am not too keen on hanging a bunch of weight off of the back either.
You have a few wonderful vehicle in the garage for sure! 200 and a 460= perfect.

The challenge is always weight, and I try to practice what I preach. . . I also really like the tire on the back, and it is just ok to install something where form edges out function in the purchase decision. Although arguably, the door mounted spare has several function advantages too.

I think it is easier to drill in a 2007 than it is in a 2019 ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
Awesome, slowly building out mine too. View attachment 581652 I managed to get my 255/80 33.1” into the spare location deflated a little and pulled away from the panhard with a ratchet strap.
Cool to know you pulled that off. My concern was proximity to the suspension components. Keep us up to date on how it is working. And thanks for the stock suspension parts offer.

Fives

...The entire door is quite different structurally, although the hinges are the same position. The Prado door is also recessed slightly for the mount and for the tire.

Given the hinge position, and assuming you could get hold of one, would the Prado rear door fit on a GX?

Reactions: GTV

Amazigh

Nice choice, I got a Prado 120 last August, LC3 spec so manual 6 speed, rear door mounted spare and most importantly a factory diff lock.

September I took it on a 3 month 10 000 mile north Africa trip, only mods were a front runner roof rack and Cooper AT3's. Needed a little more ground clearance and I wasn't impressed with the coopers but the stock suspension worked very well

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You have a few wonderful vehicle in the garage for sure! 200 and a 460= perfect.

The challenge is always weight, and I try to practice what I preach. . . I also really like the tire on the back, and it is just ok to install something where form edges out function in the purchase decision. Although arguably, the door mounted spare has several function advantages too.

I think it is easier to drill in a 2007 than it is in a 2019 ;)

Yea we love them both and I have another addition I am currently working on that will fall right in line with the others as well.

I don't prefer to have the spare inside as it eats up too much of my vital cargo space, but I don't want the added weight of a swing out either. Until C4 and 4x4Labs come out with their rear options I am going to hold off any mod and simply slap the spare in the cargo area when traveling. It's not ideal but it doesn't force a purchase either and I am not really in love with any of the current options out there.

Agreed, then again, now that it has already been hit at 7-8 months old, part of the new and unmolested appeal has worn off.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice choice, I got a Prado 120 last August, LC3 spec so manual 6 speed, rear door mounted spare and most importantly a factory diff lock.

September I took it on a 3 month 10 000 mile north Africa trip, only mods were a front runner roof rack and Cooper AT3's. Needed a little more ground clearance and I wasn't impressed with the coopers but the stock suspension worked very well

Would love to have a 6-speed (and the diesel)

Ghost Who Walks

Ghost Who Walks
The weight on the rear door isn't that bad,
Sure the tyre weight of a standard rim and 265/65/17 is 38kg, But as you have mentioned, add 2 spares to the inside of a vehicle, and thats almost 80kg off your load carrying capacity.
I did 30000km around Australia in 3.5 months with 3 spares in the rear(1 for trailer) and in hindsight, leaving the tyres on the door, and the other two in the trailer would have been a lot better...
I'll know for next time.

@scott,
Would love to have the projector headlights, and the rear spoiler that you have...
Plus maybe the Lexus Grill/Badges to mess with Lexus owners heads here in Oz

Also, a 2.5/3" straight thru muffler instead of the huge middle muffler wakes it up.
Extractors, and 200 cell cats also help...

Scott Brady

Founder
Some progress on the modifications. Unpackaged the Becky and am impressed by the assembly quality, welds, etc. It is nearly finished, and took me about eight hours. Some of that time was removing additional items and painting the rear chrome piece, so maybe five hours if only doing the mount.
IMG_3375.JPG

Also was able to get the beadlocks mounted at Summit 4x4 in Prescott. Nice little shop and the charged a fair price for mounting beadlocks.
IMG_3354.JPG
I have always been a fan of AEV wheels, so it is cool to be able to get them for the GX. They are true beadlocks, but can also be configured as a standard wheel with a decorative ring. The valve stem is well protected.

Toyo released their new ATIII Open Country, so I am giving those a test. LT255/80 R17, which is about 33.1 x 10.5. A good size for the GX IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier