2020 Ford Transit AWD

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would be very surprised if VC pushed the CVs to there limit. Just not the way they roll. I would suggest dropping them an email, they are typically very responsive.

theron

I would be very surprised if VC pushed the CVs to there limit. Just not the way they roll. I would suggest dropping them an email, they are typically very responsive.

No need to call, you can see in the video it looks like an extreme end of its angle

It's not wrong but will just be curious over time they wear more quickly because of it

Van Compass

Observer
VanCompass has some updates on their AWD lift:

Sounds like they are doing a new 1" coil lift spring + 3/4" strut spacer with built in camber correction. No custom CV's needed with their approach.

$1000 for their kit WITH Bilesten B6 struts

They also are gonna have two coil spring rates

You beat us to our update!

We looked at both directions for lifting these AWD Transits and decided this method would be the most economical and much easier to install. We have not stopped research on the sub frame drop with custom CVs, but we know the cost of new axle shafts are as much as this complete kit.

We plan to offer the following to achieve a 2" lift and gain ground clearance under the front suspension subframe. With a 265/75/16 tire you will have ~ 12" of ground clearance.

Complete bolt in front strut package that includes the following:
- Van Compass 1" lift coils - stock spring rate (blue) or 10% additional spring rate (red) for heavy RVs
- Fully assembled Bilstein B6 front struts with new strut bearings and top cap (no assembly required or disassembly of stock struts)
- 3/4" strut spacers with camber correction built in. These allow the van suspension to droop 3/4" more, the CV shafts start to bind at 1" of droop. The control arm bushings are not pushed to a bind at this level of droop.
- 2" Rear lift blocks with u-bolts
- 2" rear bump stop spacers

The plan is to retail the kit for $1K

The items will be available for individual sale for those that want portions of the kit. The coil springs will work great on 2wd or 4x4 converted vans that want a little more lift or need additional spring rate.

We want to get this kit to market and see if customers really want more lift. We could use our 2.5" sub frame drop kit, high angle CVs, 1" lift coils and Bilsteins struts to build a 4" lift. This combo will most likely be 3+ times the cost.

We are finishing the testing on springs and strut spacers in the next few days. We expect to have kits shipping sometime in June.

theron

We looked at both directions for lifting these AWD Transits and decided this method would be the most economical and much easier to install. We have not stopped research on the sub frame drop with custom CVs, but we know the cost of new axle shafts are as much as this complete kit.

We plan to offer the following to achieve a 2" lift and gain ground clearance under the front suspension subframe. With a 265/75/16 tire you will have ~ 12" of ground clearance.

- Van Compass 1" lift coils - stock spring rate (blue) or 10% additional spring rate (red) for heavy RVs
- Fully assembled Bilstein B6 front struts with new strut bearings and top cap (no assembly required or disassembly of stock struts)
- 3/4" strut spacers with camber correction built in. These allow the van suspension to droop 3/4" more, the CV shafts start to bind at 1" of droop. The control arm bushings are not pushed to a bind at this level of droop.

The items will be available for individual sale for those that want portions of the kit. The coil springs will work great on 2wd or 4x4 converted vans that want a little more lift or need additional spring rate.

We want to get this kit to market and see if customers really want more lift. We could use our 2.5" sub frame drop kit, high angle CVs, 1" lift coils and Bilsteins struts to build a 4" lift. This combo will most likely be 3+ times the cost.

We are finishing the testing on springs and strut spacers in the next few days. We expect to have kits shipping sometime in June.

First off I'm glad ya'll are around and make stuff for the Transits!

And I'm totally down for being being wrong BUT it seems really wild to me to NOT invest in the best lift kit on a brand new $50,0000 van....feels like the wrong place and time to save money. I believe that sentiment is compounded by the *potential* of a warranty claim being denied because of a modification so why risk that even further?

Last edited:

kai38

Explorer

Take my money$$$$
Looking forward to finished kit.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

And I'm totally down for being being wrong BUT it seems really wild to me to NOT invest in the best lift kit on a brand new $50,0000 van....feels like the wrong place and time to save money. I believe that sentiment is compounded by the *potential* of a warranty claim being denied because of a modification so why risk that even further?

My vote is for everyone to wait and get the proper CV's

The CV change would also probably cause warranty issues. My vote is to give VanCompass a chance.

theron

The CV change would also probably cause warranty issues. My vote is to give VanCompass a chance.

Yes, but that bad CV angle could extrapolate issues is what I was after. Why risk it in a 50k van? We know what happens to Tacoma’s

Personally I’m waiting for what UJoint is offering before making a choice. But I am totally pumped to hear how this VanCompass kit plays out long term for folks

Van Compass

Observer

My vote is for everyone to wait and get the proper CV's

Thank you, we are working on other Transit products that are not suspension related as well.

There is no way to drop the diff on these vans. High angle CV shafts will be running towards their max when the subframe is dropped 2-3 inches ( the short side CV is SHORT). The joints that can run at high angles require proper maintenance to live in those conditions. Will they last any longer than the factory units that are not allowed to bind? The factory units are easy to come by and replace if needed. A short side factory CV shaft is sub $200. We always want to do things as correct as possible, but feel this is the sweet spot between price and reliability. As noted; we have not ruled out custom CV shafts and will most likely still make them in the future for customers wanting more lift. A 4" lift and 33s would be awesome and probably run about $5K installed. We see $5K as a realistic budget for our customers that want a 2" lift, wheels, tires and electric rear locker.

theron

Thank you, we are working on other Transit products that are not suspension related as well.

There is no way to drop the diff on these vans. High angle CV shafts will be running towards their max when the subframe is dropped 2-3 inches ( the short side CV is SHORT). The joints that can run at high angles require proper maintenance to live in those conditions. Will they last any longer than the factory units that are not allowed to bind? The factory units are easy to come by and replace if needed. A short side factory CV shaft is sub $200. We always want to do things as correct as possible, but feel this is the sweet spot between price and reliability. As noted; we have not ruled out custom CV shafts and will most likely still make them in the future for customers wanting more lift. A 4" lift and 33s would be awesome and probably run about $5K installed. We see $5K as a realistic budget for our customers that want a 2" lift, wheels, tires and electric rear locker.

The Tacoma diff drop was simply an example of what happens long term to a vehicle when you keep less than ideal CV angle

So what y’all found is if you want to run a 245/75 ~30.5” tire then stock CV angle looks dialed? The stock Transit tires are 28”.

But if you’re wanting to go 33” then high angle CV’s would be the ticket?

fshbrane

This is fantastic!!! I love that we’re going to have some rad lift options. You mentioned a rear locker. That’s something I’ve been curious about. Do you think it would play nice with the AWD system?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
The Tacoma diff drop was simply an example of what happens long term to a vehicle when you keep less than ideal CV angle

My vote: wait for custom CVs.

I suppose there’s a market for a compromise budget kit on brand new AWD vans? But seems wiser to save pennies and do it proper

If you really want to do it proper then the correct answer is to leave the van stock. Any modification will have consequences and everything is a trade-off.

I think it's really great to have a first option. For $1000, you can always start with that and move up to custom cv-joint when (!) they are ready. If the only downside is having to service your stock cv-axles more often, I think I would prefer to deal with that. OEM axles will be available at every parts store in the country for cheap, where as the availability of custom axles may be more limited. Especially if someone (as I do) intend to take the van far away. Worst case just throw a couple spares in the back before heading to Costa Rica...

:)

theron

If you really want to do it proper then the correct answer is to leave the van stock. Any modification will have consequences and everything is a trade-off.

I think it's really great to have a first option. For $1000, you can always start with that and move up to custom cv-joint when (!) they are ready. If the only downside is having to service your stock cv-axles more often, I think I would prefer to deal with that. OEM axles will be available at every parts store in the country for cheap, where as the availability of custom axles may be more limited. Especially if someone (as I do) intend to take the van far away. Worst case just throw a couple spares in the back before heading to Costa Rica...

:)

Haha! I can’t agree with your take on leaving it stock being proper but now we know how you feel ;)

But yeah for $1000 it’s sounding like a good jam if you wanna run that next tire size up, 245/75, which I for sure do!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Tacomas are also adding significant down travel past stock. There is operating within the original design range (albeit at higher than neutral). Then there is pushing it past the design range. You can see GM IFS and Toyota IFS that have been lifted significantly with more down travel, they will all start blowing CVs at some point. Also note there is no lockers or front/rear binding that occurs with a 4x4 system in the AWD transit.

Van Compass

Observer
Our measurements show the CV shafts must operate at ~36 degrees at full droop with a 2.5" sub frame drop. High angle 934 CV joints have to 28 degrees of usable angle and will cost about $1K to make a pair of at low volume. There might be room to make the CV housing closer to the diff for a slightly longer shaft length to reduce angle, but these shafts need room to plunge as the suspension moves upwards. We are currently questioning the ability of a high angle CV working when you drop the sub frame any significant amount to make spending money on custom shafts worth it. The CV company we are working with might be able to get it done. Chris will be getting shafts before us to test.

Axle at full droop with 2.5" sub frame drop. 36 degrees of angle needed to get the axle to point at the diff.
IMAGE-3 (Large).JPG
IMAGE-4 (Large).JPG

Full compression, axle just makes it back to flat.
IMG_8016 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

theron

Our measurements show the CV shafts must operate at 32 degrees at full droop with a 2.5" sub frame drop. High angle 934 CV joints have to 28 degrees of usable angle and will cost about $1K to make a pair of at low volume. There might be room to make the CV housing closer to the diff for a slightly longer shaft length to reduce angle, but these shafts need room to plunge as the suspension moves upwards. We are currently questioning the ability of a high angle CV working when you drop the sub frame any significant amount to make spending money on custom shafts worth it. The CV company we are working with might be able to get it done. Chris will be getting shafts before us to test.

What size and brand of tires are you running on your van from the Youtube video still frame for the 2” lift?

Any trimming necessary? Rubbing?

AB0A980E-02F8-493E-80BA-5B4AD513D473.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles