The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

St8ton

I've tried to keep additions to the truck in line with the overall factory look. The lights are all long, thin and led. So the decision to go with an LED bar was fairly easy for me. Round lights, on this particular truck would jump out as an eyesore to me (at least that's my current thinking). Another consideration was the front facing camera. If you mount a large row of lights such as a Rand Ellis light bar or the like....you're only going to see a row of lights when you operate that camera. No bueno.

I knew I wanted something in line with the other headlights and preferably grill mounted. Well, no one makes that yet...and for good reason. Once you spend a few minutes with this trucks grill area you'll see that it is several layers of material. From the outside working in; you've got the external mesh grill, then a support beam for the camera, then the mechanical louvers for the radiator that pivot, then the radiator. To remove the actual grill, it's my understanding (and attempt) that it'd take a day to do so with all the clips and screws that have to be removed. Nope, not doing it. SO I made my own brackets for the light and figured out my own way to mount them without ever removing the front grill. You do have to remove the upper plastic covers (x2) to get a hand behind the grill and your forearm will loose skin.

If others decide to go this route, I'd love to see what you come up with.
I was able to get it to sit completely flush with the RAM lettering (see photo) and centered with the camera. While it is visible when the front facing camera is on, it is not an impediment.

I went with the Baja Designs S8 20" Amber LED in the combo/driving pattern. I've used this pattern with previous lights and like the look of the light when in use. And the S8 has the additional backlight feature that matches the color pattern of the existing amber LED marker lights.

Baja Designs S8 LED
"Baja Designs' latest LED light bar comes with a few new perks! Enjoy the clean aluminum frame with 12,700 lumens of pure power, low amp draw of 8.00 amps, and nearly 50,000 hours of LED life."

Here's the final product. I really like it.

VXb70Byl.jpg

Z1Rcy3zl.jpg

Here you can see the Softopper is still attached, just laid towards the front and secured. I love how fast you can do this and gain access to the bed.
lfYmuVJl.jpg

NyJoTz6l.jpg

EdwC0kAl.jpg

12KIlqyl.jpg

St8ton

Added the Baja Designs Fog Light Pocket Kit recently. These work with the 2019+ Ram 2500/3500 trucks. Baja did a really good job designing a quality metal pocket for the S2 light. Simple install and the wiring is plug and play. All functionality is retained, cornering functions are still there and the factory switch is still utilized.

3dKMIH3l.jpg

The question will come up so I'll address it now. Yes, concessions were only made for one light per pocket. Yes, there is room for two. Why didn't they build/drill the pocket for two?...according to BD:
We originally designed the kit to be used with two S2s but had some issues with the vehicle’s sensors. From our R&D process, we weren’t happy with the beam spread because of the limited adjustment. That’s why we settled on one. From one experience, I had one customer modify the bracket and he mounted two S2s. He never followed up with any issues so I’m assuming he’s happy with the modification. The clearance is there for you to experiment if you wish to do so.

fDpcjqEl.jpg

7DjPtJll.jpg

I'm going to run the single light for a bit, do some testing and possibly experiment with adding another set of S2's to each pocket. I'll run one set as they are now, on the factory switch. The other will go to my SPOD and work via the HD panel so I don't overload the factory electrical system.

Here is a link to the kit if interested: Baja Designs Fog Light Pockets

HJMceSrl.jpg

5uwHqXMl.jpg

duNLnY5l.jpg

gillbrak

Added the Baja Designs Fog Light Pocket Kit recently. These work with the 2019+ Ram 2500/3500 trucks. Baja did a really good job designing a quality metal pocket for the S2 light. Simple install and the wiring is plug and play. All functionality is retained, cornering functions are still there and the factory switch is still utilized.

3dKMIH3l.jpg

The question will come up so I'll address it now. Yes, concessions were only made for one light per pocket. Yes, there is room for two. Why didn't they build/drill the pocket for two?...according to BD:
We originally designed the kit to be used with two S2s but had some issues with the vehicle’s sensors. From our R&D process, we weren’t happy with the beam spread because of the limited adjustment. That’s why we settled on one. From one experience, I had one customer modify the bracket and he mounted two S2s. He never followed up with any issues so I’m assuming he’s happy with the modification. The clearance is there for you to experiment if you wish to do so.

fDpcjqEl.jpg

7DjPtJll.jpg

I'm going to run the single light for a bit, do some testing and possibly experiment with adding another set of S2's to each pocket. I'll run one set as they are now, on the factory switch. The other will go to my SPOD and work via the HD panel so I don't overload the factory electrical system.

Here is a link to the kit if interested: Baja Designs Fog Light Pockets

HJMceSrl.jpg

5uwHqXMl.jpg

duNLnY5l.jpg

May be too soon to ask but how do they compare to stock? I had their squadrons in my tundra and was night and day difference over the stock yota lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St8ton

May be too soon to ask but how do they compare to stock? I had their squadrons in my tundra and was night and day difference over the stock yota lights.

Too soon. I haven't really driven any at night since the install. I'll get some time in soon so I can accurately describe the difference. The stocks weren't bad, but these pockets provide the opportunity to add more lighting and keep a stock'ish look. Meaning I don't have to add an additional piece of metal that's going to protrude out or be mounted to the bumper externally to add lights to it.

wjb4000

Adventurer
Absolutely love the way you’re modifying your power wagon. I’ve been looking at the 2019/2020 for a possible truck for me.

Anyway, my question is about the soft topper. On dusty roads, do you get a lot of dirt in there? I really like the idea of it folding away so easily but still gives protection from the elements. Like you, I’m not sold on a RTT and not sure if I’d want to spend the money on one to only use it a couple times a year. If the bed stays clean of dirt and dust, the soft topper would definitely be a viable option for me. I come from the Jeep world as well, so operation of a soft top isn’t a deterrent.

St8ton

Absolutely love the way you’re modifying your power wagon. I’ve been looking at the 2019/2020 for a possible truck for me.

Anyway, my question is about the soft topper. On dusty roads, do you get a lot of dirt in there? I really like the idea of it folding away so easily but still gives protection from the elements. Like you, I’m not sold on a RTT and not sure if I’d want to spend the money on one to only use it a couple times a year. If the bed stays clean of dirt and dust, the soft topper would definitely be a viable option for me. I come from the Jeep world as well, so operation of a soft top isn’t a deterrent.

The Softopper has been a great addition to the truck. Super simple to put on and take off completely...and the functionality of laying it down quickly is probably what I like about it most. It does allow some dust inside...consider that it isn't a completely sealed top, the corners are velcro and they'll always have some intrusion. The cab side flap on mine is just hanging there (not using the snaps) and the rear window is the same (not using the velcro on the tailgate). I've had zero issues running it like this, no flapping or wind issues. It does a really good job keeping rain out (after I seam sealed the buckle areas).
I'd highly recommend it for a lightweight, non permanent , fairly inexpensive option for a bed canopy.

wjb4000

Adventurer
The Softopper has been a great addition to the truck. Super simple to put on and take off completely...and the functionality of laying it down quickly is probably what I like about it most. It does allow some dust inside...consider that it isn't a completely sealed top, the corners are velcro and they'll always have some intrusion. The cab side flap on mine is just hanging there (not using the snaps) and the rear window is the same (not using the velcro on the tailgate). I've had zero issues running it like this, no flapping or wind issues. It does a really good job keeping rain out (after I seam sealed the buckle areas).
I'd highly recommend it for a lightweight, non permanent , fairly inexpensive option for a bed canopy.

Thanks for the response. As long as it stays dry enough to where I could comfortably sleep on an outing and so everything in the bed isn’t covered in so much dirt that I’d have to clean it all every time I wanted to use it, I’m ok with that. And like you said, the easy on/off, or rather, open/close of the topper is what’s so attractive to me. I haul stuff in my current truck that a hard shell cover just wouldn’t work. Thanks again. Really, REALLY crushing on these power wagons. Trying to get my wife on board with it. She just says as long as she’s comfortable in it and it has enough cabin space for kids/animals/stuff, she’s good with whatever. She wants me to go with a F-250, but I just don’t feel I need that. Like someone else has said, the power wagon is a rubicon in heavy duty form, which is what I need.

gillbrak

Thanks for the response. As long as it stays dry enough to where I could comfortably sleep on an outing and so everything in the bed isn’t covered in so much dirt that I’d have to clean it all every time I wanted to use it, I’m ok with that. And like you said, the easy on/off, or rather, open/close of the topper is what’s so attractive to me. I haul stuff in my current truck that a hard shell cover just wouldn’t work. Thanks again. Really, REALLY crushing on these power wagons. Trying to get my wife on board with it. She just says as long as she’s comfortable in it and it has enough cabin space for kids/animals/stuff, she’s good with whatever. She wants me to go with a F-250, but I just don’t feel I need that. Like someone else has said, the power wagon is a rubicon in heavy duty form, which is what I need.

I ran one for years on my Tundra. I had velcro on the tailgate and snaps on the front of the box. Never an issue with water or snow. I’ve slept in it many many nights hunting. Minor dust. Softopper makes a great product.

Random Guy

I’d really like to see a close up of the brackets for the S8, if/when you get time. I’m curious to see exactly where and how you ran the brackets and hardware. I bought a 2019 Power Wagon about 2 weeks ago. My Softopper is getting delivered tomorrow. Your build is an inspiration for me.

St8ton

The Evolution of Lighting continues....

What is better than a set of Baja Designs S2 fog lights? TWO sets.

I modified the pockets that BD sells to accommodate two lights per side. The amber set is wired in to the factory switch and retains all the factory functionality. The clear S2 set is wired in to my SPOD panel.
I like to the look and think it fill out the pocket a bit better.

Also added the BD a-pillar brackets and some Squadrons. Fabricated a bracket to move my Midland 3db GMRS antenna from the hood to the BD bracket as well.

GV0x5Ovl.jpg

sJosFvdl.jpg

JSUBJkal.jpg

xemrac

Couple updated pics. To the untrained eye you wouldn't see much difference. But, to me...not seeing the air dam and the lack of resonator is pretty great.

8ET8jQRl.jpg
I LOVE the look!

I'm looking to do the same on my 2020 Laramie and was convinced our bumpers - shape and measurements, anyway - we're the same until I got underneath to remove mine. It appears that if I remove mine, I will also have to take out some hanging brackets (which I'm okay with) and that the intercooler may be exposed by a 1/4" or so...

Does the PW intercooler drop to just about the clearance of the front bumper?

I was hoping removing the dam would provide more clearance and satisfy me aesthetically, perhaps pushing out the purchase of a new bumper. Now I'm wondering if I should just leave this on for the sake of protecting (not really, but at least another layer of something between) the intercooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles