Oregon Trailer Inspired build on a M116A1 platform (Updated Pullout Kitchen 2020)

andrew22ha

Just seeing your build for the first time. Very nice, man!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks FireMedic! It has been an incredibly rewarding build. Didn't think i was going to make it through at times but between this forum, youtube videos and the help of the interwebs, I persevered. The sink I bought off amazon, Moen 2200 Series 22 Gauge Single Bowl Drop In Sink, 15 x 15, Stainless Steel (G2245622).

Thanks FireMedic! It has been an incredibly rewarding build. Didn't think i was going to make it through at times but between this forum, youtube videos and the help of the interwebs, I persevered. The sink I bought off amazon, Moen 2200 Series 22 Gauge Single Bowl Drop In Sink, 15 x 15, Stainless Steel (G2245622).
I know the feeling, man. At one point, I didn't see a future for mine, but I think those downfalls/near downfalls make further progress, and completion even better. You have a build to be proud of, no doubt! Glad I caught it while it's still in the works. Looking forward to seeing more!

Congrats on the successful maiden voyage, and thanks for the info! I'll look that one up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

andrew22ha

Got the galley 95% done with the countertop hatch in place. Now just need to repaint the cabinets and add the missing door and put on the drawer fronts and it will be complete in the galley. Heading out in April and I want to get this thing completed this spring.

Next up will be to complete the inside sleeping area.
- Insulation
- Skin interior
- Add another shelf unit for storage
- Rubber floor with Tie downs when bed is retracted
- Add 12 gallon freshwater tank with Sureflo pump for sink in galley

20190209_184000-jpg.499111

Attachments

• 20190209_184000.jpg
    20190209_184000.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 318

andrew22ha

It's been too long away from the board and just getting back to do some updates!

2019 we went out about 5 trips and I made some changes based on experience in the wild. I changed out the faucet for a shorter one so the cabinet door wouldn't hit it. The white paint I knew would be a mistake as it got dirty 1st trip out. So painted the galley in grey, installed stainless steel and created a hatch to hid pans and cooking utensils, reworked the cabinet doors to incorporate the leftover stainless steel I had sitting around and added electric and lights to the back galley.

I also finally insulated the inside and put up wood planks to finish off the sleeping area with some lighting and control panel.

Next up is to build cabinet doors in the inside and finish the storage inside. Also installing a water tank, sureflo pump for the galley sink. Also adding on a 270 degree awning and probably swapping out the tongue box. My homemade tongue box leaks so I am going to buy one at Harbor Freight or Amazon. Doing some small things like building a table that will connect to the side for some table space. Things like that.

IMG_20200229_205544.jpg

Inside Sleeping area
IMG_20200229_205338.jpg

IMG_20200229_205355.jpg

IMG_20200229_205445.jpg

andrew22ha

Updated July 2020:
Took the trailer across country to Colorado. 4000+ miles and 3 weeks on the road. The trailer and my 2007 4runner performed perfectly. One mountain climb had me worried for the transmission on the old 4runner as she crossed 200k miles that I stopped at the top scenic overlook and let the trans cool down just in case. But other than that, was awesome trip.

Prior to leaving I added solar, redid my electronics, built a new tongue box with pullout kitchen. I also added electric brakes to the trailer for the mountains and thank goodness I did as there were some scary downhill grades out there.

I wanted to build a pullout kitchen using 80/20 extruded aluminum but the cost was ridiculous, almost $750 in materials alone. So I figured why not cut 2x4's into 1.5 x 1.5" and use that as frames and then groove them on the router table to accept the slide in 1/4" panels. I stole the entire design from a guy that built the 80/20 on a Tacoma forum.

Items still left to do:
- Paint the wood using raptor liner tinted silver on the bare wood.
- Add the last drawer on the left and some handle pulls. The handle pulls came in the day before I left and were supposed to be gray colored but arrived purple. I didn't have time to return them and my daughter thought they were cool, so I used them. Need to get two more
- Support rod that folds up under the pullout. Out in the field I wasn't always on level ground and I used a leftover piece of wood to help stabilize the unit when cooking. I want to use adjustable tent poles.

tonguebox1.jpgtonguebox2.jpgPullout kitchen1.jpgPullout Kitchen 2.jpg

Still need to build the left drawer and paint the wood.

Pullout Kitchen 3.jpgpulloutkitch 4.jpg

These wind screens were a life saver. Never would have been able to cook half the days without them. the 2 burner unit is Awesome! Love this from GasOne. $80 on amazon

pullout kitchen 5.jpg

This pullout is for a future Fridge but will use the cooler for now.

pullout cooler.jpg

solar.jpg
solar2.jpg

andrew22ha

Some

Some shots from the trip

This was a dispersed site at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky on the way out. Pulled right up to the lake and setup

IMG_20200627_202650.jpg

This is in Rocky Mountain National Park leaving our camp site at Morraine.

IMG_20200710_094606.jpg

On the way to Telluride

IMG_20200712_104919.jpg

The family on a hike

IMG_4376.jpg

At 13,500 feet, you feel at the top of the world.

IMG_4453.JPG

andrew22ha

We hit all 4 National Parks in Colorado. The plan is to visit every national park and take the trailer except for Alaska and Hawaii. There are I think 6 in Alaska that are accessible only by train or float plane, so the beast won't make it to them all.

Next year I think the trip is going to either be Yellowstone, Tetons, BadLands and Wind caves and then hit Colorado again on the way home OR do Utah and those 6 parks and then hit Colorado on the way home. Planning on doing 4-6 weeks next summer and we plan on buying land in Colorado so we will be stopping in to hopefully be finalizing our next home site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles