GXV DIY Kits?

Steve_382

Is this a new product from Global Expedition Vehicles? I don't remember seeing this at the AT website before.

1586384347511.png

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
GXV has done bare shells for folks in the past, but this is the first I've heard of them doing a flat-pack that you assemble. Nice for the DIYer to have another option.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Saw this and got all excited...

Weird note though that luckily a friend pointed out...

All their panels are 60mm thick. If you look at the Tern Overland and other brand windows and doors, the 60mm width is a weird oddball size that doesnt fit into most of the wide range of sizes for fitment.

They make fit kits for a lot of sizes, but 60mm doesnt seem to fall into any of the ranges, and would need some extra work to install. Not a deal breaker for some, but probably for me. I want my stuff fitting nice and smooth with minimal shenanigans.

Also looking for more info on their extrusions and if they provide the support like TC extrusions do.

plh

Explorer
All their panels are 60mm thick. If you look at the Tern Overland and other brand windows and doors, the 60mm width is a weird oddball size that doesnt fit into most of the wide range of sizes for fitment.

They make fit kits for a lot of sizes, but 60mm doesnt seem to fall into any of the ranges, and would need some extra work to install.

What is most common thickness?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What is most common thickness?

Not sure if there is a "most common" thickness, as everyones needs and builds vary.

For whatever its worth, Total Composites is 50mm

But this is from Tern's website, regarding their windows:

Four Wall thicknesses are available
  • 24-34mm / 15/16" - 1 3/8"- included
  • 35-44mm / 1 3/8" - 1 3/4" - included
  • 45–54mm / 1 3/4" - 2 1/8" - included
  • NEW 64-74mm / 2 1/2" - 3" - $59
Of course there are other window options, but most of them, outside of Tern are Exponentially more expensive.

For example, the windows GXV uses are 4-5x the price of the Tern variants. (its all on their website)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Not sure if there is a "most common" thickness, as everyones needs and builds vary.

For whatever its worth, Total Composites is 50mm

But this is from Tern's website, regarding their windows:

Four Wall thicknesses are available
  • 24-34mm / 15/16" - 1 3/8"- included
  • 35-44mm / 1 3/8" - 1 3/4" - included
  • 45–54mm / 1 3/4" - 2 1/8" - included
  • NEW 64-74mm / 2 1/2" - 3" - $59
Of course there are other window options, but most of them, outside of Tern are Exponentially more expensive.

For example, the windows GXV uses are 4-5x the price of the Tern variants. (its all on their website)

Please allow me to chip in:
You are correct our sidewalls are indeed 50mm/2" to allow for the Tern Overland windows to fit. All other panels in our campers are 84mm/3.25". This will allow you to walk on our roof. It looks like GXV are using the typical L profiles for the box construction. Nothing wrong with that, this is how we did it at Unicat . You still get a thermal transfer free and structural sound box.
Time consuming if you know how to work with this method. There are several tricks and technics needed. Our "system" allows you to assemble the box within hours. No need for specialty tools or knowledge.
In any case, I'm happy to see GXV offering this. Competition makes life more interesting :) Camper Body Construction.png

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
In any case, I'm happy to see GXV offering this. Competition makes life more interesting :)
That's the right attitude. There are all kinds of studies about how competition benefits business (but not necessarily consumers). One of the most visible examples is how gas stations exist in clusters. Politics is another. The studies of clustering are really interesting if you are a data nerd. :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
That's the right attitude. There are all kinds of studies about how competition benefits business (but not necessarily consumers). One of the most visible examples is how gas stations exist in clusters. Politics is another. The studies of clustering are really interesting if you are a data nerd. :)

Well said

Mike Van Pelt

Saw this and got all excited...

Weird note though that luckily a friend pointed out...

They make fit kits for a lot of sizes, but 60mm doesnt seem to fall into any of the ranges, and would need some extra work to install. Not a deal breaker for some, but probably for me. I want my stuff fitting nice and smooth with minimal shenanigans.

Also looking for more info on their extrusions and if they provide the support like TC extrusions do.
Global X Vehicles uses the 60mm because it is the MOST common and is the European go/to thickness BUT,,,,, Any thickness is possible. 60mm is always stocked and is best for KCT windows and is a standard thickness option for Dometic windows as well as others. 45mm is common for a lighter build and sometimes 30mm will do the job but 30mm is mostly for interior work. GXV uses a step or datto connection and Fiber profiles allowing for the most strength/insulation possible. For the first few years used aluminum profiles but learned we like the fiber best. We can ship flat pack but prefer to ship assembled as we have the experience of 150 or more bodies to draw from and it makes a difference. We build the panels and bodies in house so you can see the process.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Global X Vehicles uses the 60mm because it is the MOST common and is the European go/to thickness BUT,,,,, Any thickness is possible. 60mm is always stocked and is best for KCT windows and is a standard thickness option for Dometic windows as well as others. 45mm is common for a lighter build and sometimes 30mm will do the job but 30mm is mostly for interior work. GXV uses a step or datto connection and Fiber profiles allowing for the most strength/insulation possible. For the first few years used aluminum profiles but learned we like the fiber best. We can ship flat pack but prefer to ship assembled as we have the experience of 150 or more bodies to draw from and it makes a difference. We build the panels and bodies in house so you can see the process.

Mike, just an FYI

Several months ago, when you first announced this, i had sent GXV several emails, and called 2x.

Never heard back on any of the emails, and both times on phone, they took my number and i was told i got a call back. Never got called back.

I was 50/50 between Total Composites and GXV for my kit. Pros and cons to both. I try to buy American made products whenever possible. I also try to spend my money based on customer service from seller as well!

I decided on Total Composites mainly based on Andres awesome responses to emails and questions regarding his product.

I never once received any email or phone call back from GXV regarding their product, so I'd strongly suggest working on that.

A friend of mine was in the same boat, and made the same decision i did for the same reasons.

My .02

Last edited:

Mike Van Pelt

Mike, just an FYI

Several months ago, when you first announced this, i had sent GXV several emails, and called 2x.

Never heard back on any of the emails, and both times on phone, they took my number and i was told i got a call back. Never got called back.

I was 50/50 between Total Composites and GXV for my kit. Pros and cons to both. I try to buy American made products whenever possible. I also try to spend my money based on customer service from seller as well!

I decided on Total Composites mainly based on Andres awesome responses to emails and questions regarding his product.

I never once received any email or phone call back from GXV regarding their product, so I'd strongly suggest working on that.

A friend of mine was in the same boat, and made the same decision i did for the same reasons.

My .02
Sorry about that. We have it set up on the web site to purchase there but I understand that some have questions and different requirements so I have shared the concern which I also share, with Tim who is heading this.

I’m looking to get a 20ft composite enclosure for a self build, to install on a BAE 6x6 LWB. Perhaps Mike and Andreas could summarize their products and answer some of the common FAQ’s in this thread for people who are considering the most appropriate enclosure for their needs.

Some questions I have include:

What methods do you recommend to attach items directly to the composite panels such as solar panels, awnings, cabinetry etc? I’ve seen Total Composites talk about gluing cabinetry and solar panels directly to the composite panels, does this work for overhead cabinets and how would you attach, say, an electric awning to the exterior?

Can you install L-Track or similar mounting products into the panels for tie-down points and things you want to be able to remove from the enclosure?

How much weight can these support on the roof? Enough for solar panels, and to use as a roof-top deck?

How much flex or internal movement do these enclosures encounter as expedition vehicles? What considerations need to be taken into account when self building things like cabinetry and bathrooms into these?

Appreciate the response from either or hopefully both of you guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles