2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
As someone who lives in the rustbelt, the first thing I think of is how I'd have to hammer those things off with a chisel(ruining them in the process) after the first winter if anti-seize isn't used. Hell last time I had to change rotors they were cracking apart by the time I got them off.

huh?

They slide right on and off

tmacc

Very nice build thread. We'd love to do something like this, so I'll be following this closely. Thanks for all of the detail photos.

ngs352

Too bad the inner bolt pattern isn’t the same, sure would be nice to get those spacers off. Your wheel bearings, ball joints, steering components will all thank you. I sure would be talking to a local machine shop to get some made.

I've went back and re-read the post and searched the pictures a bunch of times, but I can't find anything about the spacers that you are using. In your most recent photo of the front wheels removed I can see spacers, but I'm not clear if they are only on the front axle, or the rear axle as well.
What spacers are you using?
Were the spacers put on for a difference in 10 lug bolt pattern?
Or were the spacers put on for clearance?
Is there anyway to run Buckstop wheels without spacers?

I'm following this thread for practical purposes because it is my intention to do a 4500 build just as soon as FCA starts shipping the heavy duty trucks with a ZF 8 speed transmission in a few years time. The last 4 passenger vehicles I've owned (2 still in my garage) all have the ZF, and this transmission is simply the best. That being said, Ram makes the best trucks hands down, and I've already decided that my forever truck has to be a Ram, and has to be a 4500.

I own a Can Am UTV, and right now it has proven to be a major inconvenience to trailer everywhere both for the added total vehicle length on road, and then once I get to the service roads leading into the spaces I want to take the Can Am, the trailer gets absolutely beat going over washboard, ruts, etc.

I'm not 100% sure I would want to switch to super singles right away. The first 80-100,000 miles I would probably run the stock Alcoa wheels, throw the Can Am up on a flat bed, and just continue to throw my money at the Can Am. Down the road, the two directions I could take the truck would be to set it up as an expedition vehicle, or a service truck should I end up doing off road racing.

Either way, thanks for sharing the build, and I'm eager to see what you do with it. I can't wait for the aftermarket to grow for these cab and chassis Rams.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
You will really, really hate the way a 4500 on stock alcoas rides on washboard roads. Like to the point it's dangerous.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thats what they say about wheels/tires - here in ohio, the aluminum wheel will fuse with the brake rotor... I have spent over an hour beating a wheel off with a sledge to get it to release from the rotor... its bad!

Ah... Yeah, the WHEELS have a little bit of anti seize around the hub now.

I thought you meant the wheel balancers.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I've went back and re-read the post and searched the pictures a bunch of times, but I can't find anything about the spacers that you are using. In your most recent photo of the front wheels removed I can see spacers, but I'm not clear if they are only on the front axle, or the rear axle as well.
What spacers are you using?
Were the spacers put on for a difference in 10 lug bolt pattern?
Or were the spacers put on for clearance?
Is there anyway to run Buckstop wheels without spacers?

I'm following this thread for practical purposes because it is my intention to do a 4500 build just as soon as FCA starts shipping the heavy duty trucks with a ZF 8 speed transmission in a few years time. The last 4 passenger vehicles I've owned (2 still in my garage) all have the ZF, and this transmission is simply the best. That being said, Ram makes the best trucks hands down, and I've already decided that my forever truck has to be a Ram, and has to be a 4500.

I own a Can Am UTV, and right now it has proven to be a major inconvenience to trailer everywhere both for the added total vehicle length on road, and then once I get to the service roads leading into the spaces I want to take the Can Am, the trailer gets absolutely beat going over washboard, ruts, etc.

I'm not 100% sure I would want to switch to super singles right away. The first 80-100,000 miles I would probably run the stock Alcoa wheels, throw the Can Am up on a flat bed, and just continue to throw my money at the Can Am. Down the road, the two directions I could take the truck would be to set it up as an expedition vehicle, or a service truck should I end up doing off road racing.

Either way, thanks for sharing the build, and I'm eager to see what you do with it. I can't wait for the aftermarket to grow for these cab and chassis Rams.

There are no spacers on this. At least none have been added by me.

The giant one you see on the front is how it comes from the factory from Ram, all duallys are setup somewhat similar. I havent done anything.

On the 3500s (8lug) you can remove that spacer and just use a normal off the shelf set of wheels because the studs exposed when you remove the spacer are the same pattern. On the 10 lugs it is not.

Hope that make sense.

ngs352

[/QUOTE]
On the 3500s (8lug) you can remove that spacer and just use a normal off the shelf set of wheels because the studs exposed when you remove the spacer are the same pattern. On the 10 lugs it is not.

Do you know what the pattern is on the 4500/5500 when you remove that factory spacer? Any benefit or drawback to removing it?
And for the 3500, do you mean the chassis cab?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Do you know what the pattern is on the 4500/5500 when you remove that factory spacer? Any benefit or drawback to removing it?
And for the 3500, do you mean the chassis cab?

I don't know the pattern of the bolts on the front if you remove the spacer, but i do know, the immediate drawback of it would be youd have a different bolt pattern in the back.

It applies for the 2019+ 3500 chassis cabs AND standard dually.

Watch this for a better explanation, its a bit long winded, but he explains the issue, fast forward to about the 4 min mark:

Last edited:

ngs352

You will really, really hate the way a 4500 on stock alcoas rides on washboard roads. Like to the point it's dangerous.

Would it actually be dangerous, or just massively uncomfortable? The goal, since I am not rich, is to get where I'm going in complete comfort. Running MTRs down the highway for 500 miles might be more uncomfortable than the last hour on a dirt road on stock tires before dismounting. Certainly more expensive for diesel and tire wear. Eventually I would like to get airbags in the rear, and proper shocks in the front, it just wouldn't really be an immediate priority. The goal is to get out there an enjoy things, while having a platform that can be customized as I determine my needs.

I understand it is not a good solution. The alternative is a 3500 CC. I then immediately reduce all of my capabilities and beefiness of the truck, all so I can run normal wheels and tires. I don't see how that benefits me. I go back and forth between 3500 and 4500. I know it comes down to preference. If there's a solution I'm missing I'm open to it. If what you're saying is hyperbole, then a 4500 will be much more comfortable than riding around in a 7 ton or an stake bed truck all day on the road.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Would it actually be dangerous, or just massively uncomfortable? The goal, since I am not rich, is to get where I'm going in complete comfort. Running MTRs down the highway for 500 miles might be more uncomfortable than the last hour on a dirt road on stock tires before dismounting. Certainly more expensive for diesel and tire wear. Eventually I would like to get airbags in the rear, and proper shocks in the front, it just wouldn't really be an immediate priority. The goal is to get out there an enjoy things, while having a platform that can be customized as I determine my needs.

I understand it is not a good solution. The alternative is a 3500 CC. I then immediately reduce all of my capabilities and beefiness of the truck, all so I can run normal wheels and tires. I don't see how that benefits me. I go back and forth between 3500 and 4500. I know it comes down to preference. If there's a solution I'm missing I'm open to it. If what you're saying is hyperbole, then a 4500 will be much more comfortable than riding around in a 7 ton or an stake bed truck all day on the road.

Ok! Pause! Airbags on a 4500? To haul a 1500lb side by side? No no no no no... Airbags on a 4500 is for when you convert it to a dump truck hauling gravel.

Ridiculously uncomfortable? Yes. Dangerous? Also yes. When you have a suspension as stiff as a 4500, running 80+PSI in 33" tires on 19.5" wheels (read: ZERO sidewall flex) and you go over washboard, the back end of the truck WILL hop so the tires are off the ground, in the logging industry, this causes a TON of crashes on bush roads because it's awful hard to control a truck that doesn't have all four (six in this case) tires off the ground. Run into some washboard on a corner, you're in the trees sideways, backwards, or it hops sideways, grabs traction, and you roll.

There's a reason a huge majority of fleets that live in the bush have gone to half ton trucks (specifically F150's, NEVER EVER dodges because of the garbage rear coil springs, and occasionally chevy's), all with add a leafs or custom built packs. They never use airbags in the bush as we've seen a ton of cracked frames from bending the airbag mounts which if left like that pull outwards on the frame in a way it was never designed for, which with 2000lb in the bed will crack it. Every time.

Unless you plan on building basically an earthroamer like this guy, just buy a 3500 single rear wheel and throw a flat deck on it. 1000000% better in every situation for your use. If you buy a massive camper at one point, then maybe airbags. Use a 325/65/18 tire which has a 3900lb load capacity, which gives you 15,600 total. Again, WAY overkill.

Last edited:

ngs352

Unless you plan on building basically an earthroamer like this guy, just buy a 3500 single rear wheel and throw a flat deck on it. 1000000% better in every situation for your use. If you buy a massive camper at one point, then maybe airbags. Use a 325/65/18 tire which has a 3900lb load capacity, which gives you 15,600 total. Again, WAY overkill.

Thanks for sharing, something to consider. Of course the goal is to build something that can earth roam, just not immediately. I don't ever want to think about payload or tow limitations so I can just keep on trucking. I've under-bought enough vehicles in my life that I'll never do that again.

I watched the wheel video, that's pretty wild.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

I second this statement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94