First Gen Tundra Recovery Points

MTramble

Hi Folks, new to Expedition Portal and overland travel.

I have a 2005 Tundra double cab SR5. I'm putting an All Terrain Camper Ocelot on it for climbing, skiing, hunting trips. I'm close to my GVWR with the camper so I'm trying to keep the truck as close to stock as possible, this means no heavy bumpers, winch, sliders, etc. I don't plan on really pushing the off-road capabilities of this rig but I will be traveling in remote areas, with mud and snow, and I want to be prepared for a vehicle recovery. Are there any adequate stock recovery points on first gen Tundras? Where are they? I have a tow hitch receiver bolted on the rear of the frame, can I use this receiver as a rear recovery point? Thanks!

tennesseewj

Observer
A rear hitch can be an adequate recovery point. I recommend getting a D-ring attachment that you can slide into the hitch for a safe strap attachment.

There are factory recovery points on the front end (stick your head under the bumper and look at the end of the frame rail). They aren't overly impressive, but should be adequate for occasional use. You could add a front mount trailer hitch and come out lighter than a front bumper if you wanted a middle ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
A rear hitch can be an adequate recovery point. I recommend getting a D-ring attachment that you can slide into the hitch for a safe strap attachment.

There are factory recovery points on the front end (stick your head under the bumper and look at the end of the frame rail). They aren't overly impressive, but should be adequate for occasional use. You could add a front mount trailer hitch and come out lighter than a front bumper if you wanted a middle ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What he said. There are smallish points on either side of the front that tie into the frame rails. On the passenger side is an additional larger hook for looping a tow rope around.

MTramble

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. I went and found the front recovery points you mentioned. Does anyone know the rated strength of these stock points?

I'd like to have recovery points on the front and rear that are rated 2 x GVWR (advice from a 2012 Expedition Portal article) which for my Tundra is 13,200 lbs. Is there a rear tow hitch receiver rated this high that someone can recommend?

If the stock front recovery points come in way under 13,200 lbs are there after market points I can bolt on to the same location?

Thanks for the help!

In on this for my 04 sequoia. It seems to me that there was a company making a bolt on recovery point for pass/driver but it was pricey. I'm thinking $250ish for a couple chunks of steel. It's slipped my mind, though.

trailscape

Explorer
Keep in mind, one of those front points are only for tying down the vehicle during transport and not designed for recovery.

I replaced both of mine with some simple safety hooks.

dman93

Adventurer
I haven’t looked at Tundra recovery points, so take this with some grains of salt, but on my 80 Series I used the factory items quite a bit, including acting as an anchor for a Unimog winching up Walker Hill on the Rubicon. So in my experience the Toyota parts are pretty beefy, and both my T100’s and my new Tacoma’s front “tie down” anchors look similarly strong.

MTramble

Keep in mind, one of those front points are only for tying down the vehicle during transport and not designed for recovery.

That's kind of what I was worried about. I'd like to replace the tie-down points with rated recover points if possible. What are safety hooks? Are they for recovery?

trailscape

Explorer
That's kind of what I was worried about. I'd like to replace the tie-down points with rated recover points if possible. What are safety hooks? Are they for recovery?

These ones. Might need longer bolts though.

mshred

I know I am bringing this thread back from the dead, but would replacing both front points with something like the curt hooks linked above be sufficient on both sides of the frame at the front? Had to use a the hook on the passenger side for recovery yesterday and it had me questioning if either hook or hoop on the front is up to the job SAFELY.

Link to the curt item

ThePartyWagon

Bumping this again, seeing as the 1st gen Sequoias are gaining popularity, I'm hoping someone has found a good solution. I've used the factory tow points on my '05 Sequoia but I question those. There are aftermarket bumper options coming out but those tend to be $1000-$2000.

I've found these that appear to have factory tow hook mounting holes, I wonder if they would work on the 1st gen vehicles.

Tundra Shackle Conversion

1632261309501.png

smokeysevin

Observer
Those look like they would put a lot of leverage on the stock mounting point bolts, I am not sure I would run them but I am also not going to poo-poo someone else's work without running some calcs.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier