Aftermarket thermostat and Engine Temps.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So after having two genuine thermostat housing warp in less than three years I decided to try something different and went aftermarket. With the genuine thermostat my scan gauge showed operating temperatures between 204 and 209. Now with the aftermarket the gauge is showing 209-216. How bad is this? Should I rip it back a part and put in a genuine thermostat? The truck itself is running fine, it’s not giving me any codes And the temp gauge on the dash never moves from normal. I have two scan gauges and have tryed both to make sure it was not the gauge.

@Ray_G @Victory_Overland

Ray_G

Explorer
Interesting. My temps don't go above 200 unless pushing hard, up a hill-or towing. Have you reconditioned everything else? (New fluids, water pump, fan clutch, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Water pump and fan were replaced 25k or so ago. I wonder if the shop used cheap coolant though.

When did you see the rising temps: immediately or is this a rising trend you are noticing now?

On that note, LR3/4 are testy little buggers to properly bleed; there are some good threads out there on this procedure that will get you done proper like.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
It’s a constant temps. Fluctuations are about the same range and before just about 10degrees warmer.

rgallant

Adventurer
Your dash gauge will never move past normal until you are actually overheating - most "modern vehicles" are like that.

If I follow correctly you changed the housing and thermostat, I would suspect the thermostat. D2 guys have run into this a lot in the last year units sold as 180F actually being factory standard 190F.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I had it in the shop yesterday and they said it checked out. I am left to think that it’s the aftermarket thermostat or the type of coolant they used. I’ll drain it soon and replace the coolant with coolant from Land Rover.
F845E0DD-E8C4-4446-B486-708FDD55709D.jpegF845E0DD-E8C4-4446-B486-708FDD55709D.jpeg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
IMG_6838.jpgIMG_6839.jpg
Well hit 218 today. since the Thermostat Housing is New I'm going to try to relapse just the Thermostat. Fingers Crossed. Any advise on bleeding the Coolant??? If this dose not do it I'm going to drain the whole system and Put in new Coolant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94