Next Gen Land Cruiser

phsycle

Adventurer
I'd bet the house that the 70 series (if offered) would be bought, driven and used by people who have little to no interest ever taking them offroad. At some point it becomes a status symbol....kinda like the poor Gwagen....

Yup. And it’d be at a price point that rivaled much better equipped 3/4 ton trucks, which would knock most potential buyers out of the running (myself included). Toyota knows what Americans want, and a spartan farm rig with a $60k price tag ain’t it. No matter what the dirtbag nerds here say.

(Myself included).

PSea

I dunno if you've ever been a climber but the number of Toyota pickups in use by 20something young males living in and traveling around the country in them is about 100 times more than the next options, an old van. That was my introduction to them anyway. May not be true anymore but it certainly was in the 1990s.
ohhh...and that makes them dirtbags? nothing like doubling down on the ignorance!

borison

Adventurer
I worked in an outdoor gear shop, we catered to “dirtbags” among other enthusiasts. It was never used as a derogatory term. It was kind of a side ways complement/diss. These were the guys thin as rails, living in the back of a (early Toyota reg cab) truck, sleeping on their bouldering pads, and always driving to the next climbing spot. They seemed to “sacrifice” it all for their passion. I think they found a way to shed what wasn’t necessary and I think most of us, on some level are envious of those who so committed to their passion.

nickw

Adventurer
ohhh...and that makes them dirtbags? nothing like doubling down on the ignorance!
I think your missing the point, not a negative term per-se given the context it was originally given in this thread......lighten up :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The armchair CEO in me sees the logic in having a vehicle that encompasses everything the enthusiasts want that stands alone from their bread-and-butter.

Fact is Toyota sees the numbers, they know for all the lip smacking we do the vehicles that actual sell are not stripped down base models to dirt bags. Anyway, they did offer that to us sort of in the FJ Cruiser and predictably the novelty wore off and sales dropped.

Best we could hope is Toyota sees potential of a replacement to the 70 series modernized enough to sell here in small numbers with an existing EPA-approved engine is about the most we could hope for and that seems unlikely.

The honest truth is all I'd like to see is a Tacoma that got back a decently rigid frame. I think I'd like a Hilux for the simplicity (I'm no fan of the styling and "tech" crap of Tacomas) but I'm over lusting for what we can't have. It's an alright truck and in the end we just modify them to suit our need anyway.
To be fair the FJ hardly fit a Jogging stroller in the back and the rear seat access was complete crap. I knew several dads who had to dump it for a vehicle that could actually fit kids. Most got a 4dr wrangler.

Dalko43

Explorer
Where ever the new LC ends up, the fact that we are all talking about it shows there is interest.

Toyota doesn't change up their lineup every 5 years because they know they don't have to...people want reliable, rugged, BOF trucks and SUV's. Toyota fulfills that market need...and they fully acknowledge that outside of the midsized pickup segment, they're never going to have market dominance. The only reason they took 1st place in the midsized pickup segment was because the domestic OEM's made a bad call.

New LC will be slightly more efficient, slightly more accessible...that's about all we know. I'm sure Toyota loyalists will want to buy it, new or second-hand...and I'm sure all the Ford, Ram and GM loyalists will tip their noses at it. Nothing will change in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94