M416 trailer axle swap, need answers/suggestions

isaac2098

So I just picked up an m416 trailer that was in good shape over last weekend and I have disassembled it and am looking to replace the axle with a Dexter 3500# trailer axle that has the electric brakes and parking brake feature so I can retain the original parking brake handle. I was wondering what size axle I should be having ordered though. The hub face to hub face is 57" and the spring center is 39" on the original axle I just pulled off the trailer. I am looking to run the same wheels and tires that are on my Jeep TJ and was wondering how that affects what length axle I should have ordered?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Call the axle people and talk to them, chances are that they have done a similar swap before and can tell you to the mm what to get.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Make sure you measure the Jeep rim's center hole diameter, and make sure it will fit over the new axle's hub. The factory steel rims might fit; I wouldn't count on the alloy rims fitting over the trailer axle's hub.

And here's how you determine how wide an axle to get (hub-face to hub-face). It is post #426 & #427 linked below - it walks you through it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles