Central tire inflation system

85_Ranger4x4

Seems like it would be good for farm trucks too.

keep from tearing up the fields so bad

Not really a big deal for farm trucks when everybody has a John Deere Gater or Polaris Ranger that is much easier on the terra firma than a pickup.

Equipment has huge tires with duals for floatation and they run low PSI full time anyway as the tires are the suspension.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When I was in the National Guard we had the rebuilt M35A3 2 1/2 ton trucks, with the turbo diesel, automatic transmission, power steering and CTIS. The CTIS was a maintenance nightmare. I remember we got activated for a fire once and as we were driving down I-25 the tires deflated in the space of just a few minutes. Fortunately we were able to get the truck stopped before they were completely out of air, but I seem to recall the mechanics saying that was not an uncommon thing to happen.

On a privately owned vehicle it probably would not be so bad. Didn't the early versions of the Hummer H1 have CTIS?

gatorgrizz27

Short of a 2-piece wheel where the inner ring remains fixed, I just don’t see it being cost effective to develop for different platforms.

Unfortunately, the off road market these days revolves around “looking cool” and inexpensive bolts ones for the most part. If a CTIS kit was developed for the JK/JL (by far the most popular off rod vehicle these days) cost $3,500, and was an 8-10 hour install that involved either some machining, or at least drilling/tapping and sending your OEM axles back as cores after installing the modified ones, how many people do you think would buy them? I’d wager less than 100.

I generally try to hit the trails once a week, and I air down most of the time, but I wouldn’t buy a kit at half that price, and it would never become available for my vehicle (Land Rover LR3) anyways.

It’s more feasible for an OEM to develop it from the factory, or at least the ability to add a plug and play kit. However, since we haven’t seen it on the new Defender yet, I doubt that’s coming any time soon.

Ford has done some cool stuff with the Raptor, but 95% of them don’t even go off the pavement unless it’s a construction site or hunting lease. Not to mention they would probably have to add some sort of electronic speed limiter to prevent people from hopping back on the highway at 15 psi.

Unless you’re in a work/industrial application, or extreme weather, just enjoy being outside and take the 10-15 minutes to air down and back up again, using suitable tools like a valve core remover and decently fast onboard compressor.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Short of a 2-piece wheel where the inner ring remains fixed, I just don’t see it being cost effective to develop for different platforms.

Unfortunately, the off road market these days revolves around “looking cool” and inexpensive bolts ones for the most part. If a CTIS kit was developed for the JK/JL (by far the most popular off rod vehicle these days) cost $3,500, and was an 8-10 hour install that involved either some machining, or at least drilling/tapping and sending your OEM axles back as cores after installing the modified ones, how many people do you think would buy them? I’d wager less than 100.

I generally try to hit the trails once a week, and I air down most of the time, but I wouldn’t buy a kit at half that price, and it would never become available for my vehicle (Land Rover LR3) anyways.

It’s more feasible for an OEM to develop it from the factory, or at least the ability to add a plug and play kit. However, since we haven’t seen it on the new Defender yet, I doubt that’s coming any time soon.

Ford has done some cool stuff with the Raptor, but 95% of them don’t even go off the pavement unless it’s a construction site or hunting lease. Not to mention they would probably have to add some sort of electronic speed limiter to prevent people from hopping back on the highway at 15 psi.

Unless you’re in a work/industrial application, or extreme weather, just enjoy being outside and take the 10-15 minutes to air down and back up again, using suitable tools like a valve core remover and decently fast onboard compressor.

With a lot of people upgrading axle shafts, especially in the JK/JL market, I think the cost could be greatly mitigated. Getting the sale at the right time would be key to lump some of the associated cost together.

As mentioned earlier, there are oem level suppliers working on this like Dana/Spicer. I do agree that the cost could be a little bit much for some people, but when a LOT of people are dumping 50K on a new Rubicon Jeep and then another 20K in mods it might not be a super huge deal.....

Boatbuilder79

Looking at what people spend on bumpers and lights and stuff It seems like being able to air down on the fly would be pretty good bang for the buck as far as mods go. After adding lockers.

2000LJ

Observer
Runnin CTIS on this truck. When properly designed works great, OG hummer h1s have an ok system but prone to problems. Like 4 flat tires in the morning if you have a minor leak.

This Defender is running 9” curries with portals and a custom air system for maximum reliability. Only “easy” way to get ctis is with portals..... lots of Dakar trucks have an external system but it hangs out.

Attachments

• 83D33565-CDE0-4370-B2ED-7CA116C30DCE.jpeg
    83D33565-CDE0-4370-B2ED-7CA116C30DCE.jpeg
    877.9 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online