Hard-sided wedge style pop-up camper shell currently in development/testing in the mountains of Wyoming

The Artisan

Adventurer
Couldn't the same principle be applied and create a cube or shoebox shape with the end walls folding in first and the side walls which are hinged in the middle and the bottom fold in on top? This way the top goes straight up and does not end up wedge shaped.

With the solid end walls folding in this allows the front wall to contain a full size window and the back wall to contain the top half of the door.
That is the way Hiatus's first camper was done. Maybe it was patented as they changed their design.
Kevin

Just thinking I would like some head room to lean against while in bed. Leaning against the front wall with a window there would be great for rainy day reading.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Just thinking I would like some head room to lean against while in bed. Leaning against the front wall with a window there would be great for rainy day reading.
If you are building your own copy their old design. Funny thing is I wanted to build this design then I saw they did it. I changed my design then he contacts me and said mine is too similar ?
Kevin

WY_CC

Couldn't the same principle be applied and create a cube or shoebox shape with the end walls folding in first and the side walls which are hinged in the middle and the bottom fold in on top? This way the top goes straight up and does not end up wedge shaped.

With the solid end walls folding in this allows the front wall to contain a full size window and the back wall to contain the top half of the door.
That's a great idea of developing a dutch door style upper half for the pop-up back wall. I have seen some examples of this being done with pop-up camping trailers, so there's definitely room to play with it in pop-up truck campers.

I love that your mind went immediately to the shoebox shape with the rigid folding motion. Breaking down cardboard boxes (gift, shoe, etc.) was the first time that I really contemplated the mechanics of a rigid pop-up structure. I made a GIF of the motion to show what got the gears turning in my head way back when...

Gift Box Fold.GIF

You also read my mind with your comment about curling up in bed on a rainy day while looking out of the big moonroof. There have been a couple fun discoveries along the way designing the camper that I think may turn out to be some of my favorite features. Even without any side windows in the prototype, it feels warm and well lit with the moonroof. Could be nice for folks that want a more private space without sacrificing natural light. Add the moonroof to my newfound love for the full length, bar height back shelf, and you have a pretty sweet spot to rest your beverage while gazing at the clouds, stars, mountains, my shop ceiling, etc...

Finally, somewhere to set my coffee!.png

WY_CC

Awesome concept, I love hard walls, hate tents.

You must be tired, I gave up counting how many times you opened/closed that prototype roof.
There have certainly been times the past month that I felt like a human jack-in-the-box, but the efforts have been rewarded with a functional prototype! Here are another couple of GIFs to show the collapsing motion of the completed prototype unit. This time with gas struts to make life easier...

Back + Side view.GIF

Moonroof + Side view.GIF

(Note, if the GIFs aren't displaying for you, then login, or you can create an account. I was a longtime observer, now happy contributor, and I fully recommend joining the community...Also, GIFs are capped at 2MB, so please enjoy a good GIF, albeit in a small package...)

Hard-sided Wedge Camper rear + side.png

Thank you to everyone for your support on this thread and the inspiration that I've gleaned over the years from you all by seeing so many exciting projects on the forum. I know I had promised an update over the weekend once I tested the full opening + closing motion, but I needed to take a few days before jumping back into the public discussion. Four years ago I started brainstorming with one of my best friends about the early design concepts I had for the camper, while helping him buy an old, restored FWC up in Bozeman. Sadly, Jack never got to see the finished product that we chatted so much about, but I completed the final assembly steps and curing over the first anniversary of his death late last week. It felt like a fitting way to pay homage to an old friend and one of the most capable outdoorsmen that I know... This one's for you, Jack!

For background on how I revived Stewart E. Gardner's 1968 patent and arrived at this configuration, please continue reading and checkout the illustrated images below... In principle, this older design teaches us how to create a collapsible hard-sided structure by joining triangularly shaped wall sections with continuous hinges that can move from a closed to an open position, increasing the interior space and functionality of the structure. Prior to making the origami concept models mentioned in an earlier post, I took a copy of the Gardner patent drawings and rotated them in different positions to consider the use of the expandable structure. I found that, even when rotated, the primary wall/roof/floor members, hinges, and motion of the expandable structure utilize the same principles in obvious ways. From sketches to origami models, CAD designs and a physical prototype, this has been a great hands-on process in applying prior art and the design of an older hard-sided camper structure.

Gardner Patent with primary structure members called out:
Gardner patent with annotated members.png

Rotated 90 degrees:
90 Degree rotation_annotated.png

Now, Keep Rotating...

further-rotation-into-wedge-camper-configuration-png.570060

Next Step: Figure out a rigging system in the shop and get this baby loaded onto the truck for testing!

Attachments

• Gardner Patent with annotated members.png
    Gardner Patent with annotated members.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Further Rotation into wedge camper configuration.png
    Further Rotation into wedge camper configuration.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 895

billiebob

Amazing, I was trying to think how one would do those jumping jacks with sidewalls in the way, of course hinge them out of the way. AWESOME !!!

I wish you were a Cancer Researcher !!

There were soo many cool campers when I grew up in the '60s and '70s but I never saw that folding wall.

Last edited:

WY_CC

Amazing, I was trying to think how one would do those jumping jacks with sidewalls in the way, of course hinge them out of the way. AWESOME !!!

I wish you were a Cancer Researcher !!

There were soo many cool campers when I grew up in the '60s and '70s but I never saw that folding wall.

Hello world! I've been absent the thread for a handful of weeks, but this community has frequently been on my mind during these trying times.

Maiden Voyage_2MB.GIF
(2MB limit on GIFs. Please, excuse the low resolution.)

The hard-sided wedge pop-up successfully made it onto my truck on Feb 29th, and I immediately set about testing it's ease-of-use, weatherproofing, and day-to-day utility. I also built-out a quick, minimalist option for convertible benches and dinette on the interior that has already provided a multitude of uses as a ski warming hut, picnic spot, and shelter from 40mph winds. This, while still being able to carry a couple bikes, toolboxes or sheets of plywood when on work duty. I will continue to explore the interior build options, and I'm considering offering both complete packages as well as DIY plans to cater to various folks' needs. Lastly, the included renderings provide a glimpse of the production level design that I'm preparing for manufacturing.

Passenger Side Render.jpg

I have been excited to get back to everyone here to share the progress and keep charging ahead, but I can't ignore the fact that the world has changed dramatically since my last update. Please know that I appreciate and support all of you out there and wish the best for you and your families. Even here in rural Wyoming this is touching folks' lives directly, and we're doing what we can to support those in need. Luckily, before the turn of events, I was able to meet up with a couple of local folks that I have met through this thread to checkout the prototype and make new friends. Those in-person interactions may be off the table or limited for awhile, but I want to continue to be a supportive member of this community. If we're all going to be laying low and social distancing, then I will do my part to provide updates and interesting ideas to help you dream of good times and future adventures... @billiebob, I appreciate your sentiments and wish more than anything right now that I was a virologist or health care worker that could lend a real hand in this fight. Let's be safe, be healthy, and be good neighbors. Until soon...

Passenger Front Render.jpg

RGren

Great looking concept!
2 questions:
- why the overhang on the rear? Wouldn’t that lessen the cabover section and reduce the possible standing space with the bedding platform in full setup position? Or are you thinking of the interior more like GFC with moving panels? I love the idea of the Vagabond drifter where you can still stand and do things while the bed is fully extended.
- would you make it with a full width door to maintain truck bed functionality for loading/hauling gear?

But otherwise it looks amazing!

WY_CC

Great looking concept!
2 questions:
- why the overhang on the rear? Wouldn’t that lessen the cabover section and reduce the possible standing space with the bedding platform in full setup position? Or are you thinking of the interior more like GFC with moving panels? I love the idea of the Vagabond drifter where you can still stand and do things while the bed is fully extended.
- would you make it with a full width door to maintain truck bed functionality for loading/hauling gear?

But otherwise it looks amazing!
Thank you for the interest and questions! You hit on two items that have occupied a lot of my thoughts on design and usability of the product. Fundamentally, I want this camper to provide a platform that enhances folks' day-to-day use of their vehicle and enables a seamless transition between work and adventure.

At its core, the product needs to be intelligently designed, sturdily built, and straightforward in its function. Ease and flexibility of use are key considerations I've pondered for the rear wall/door of the camper, and I feel there is not a "one size fits all" approach to satisfy everyone's needs. My objective is to provide 3 options for the rear wall panel of the camper that can further be outfitted to individual needs. The prototype on my truck has a 30"x44" door centered in the back wall, whereas the options for a double door "utility topper" style or full width traditional flip up door could be employed. Importantly, the rear wall of the camper can be removed, so you can change things up in the future.

Camper Back Wall Options.png

As far as the rear overhang, it originated as a design element to give the camper a unique character, but I've discovered several functional benefits along the way. First, when I mocked up the frame with the rear overhang, the opportunity for a full width, bar height shelf emerged. Paired with a large window in the flip-up back of the wedge, and you have an awesome spot to stand and gaze outside as you sip your morning coffee or evening beverage. The overhang is small enough to fall to the inside of the rear bumper for safety when backing up, and it gives the feel of a "back porch" when hanging out behind camper. I've kept the tailgate on my truck with the prototype, and I can foresee a lot of evenings sitting out on the tailgate enjoying the breeze... As to standing room inside of the camper, a (larger) cabover cantilever paired with a (smaller) rear overhang work together to increase total usable space in the truck bed. I utilized 9' aluminum extrusions for the prototype's wedge, and I'm leaning towards 10' for the production version. With a 9' long wedge, you have roughly 2' of standing room in the back of the camper when the bed platform is deployed. A 10' wedge would give closer to 3' of usable space with the bed in place. Both work for hopping out of bed without disturbing any other potential occupants, but 3' of space opens up more seating and/or cooking potential in the truck bed while someone snoozes above.

In terms of bed design for the prototype, I'm going down the path of two movable panels that can be configured as a queen size platform or two separate bunks. Both panels can be stowed in the cabover section for full access to the truck bed, as needed. I love the flexibility of this setup, but I can see how moving panels around isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm also a big fan of a flip-up bed platform like what you reference in the Drifter, and I foresee this as being a straightforward option to offer. However, the prototype's roof has a ~3'x5' piece of acrylic framed into the center of the 9' top wedge, which would be obscured by a flip-up style bed. If a flip-up platform is preferred, then the moonroof could be eliminated or shrunk/moved further up the wedge to still provide natural light.

I can't predict exactly how desirable the moonroof option will be for folks, but it has certainly been one of my favorite discoveries as the prototype came together. Originally, the camper was mounted on my truck without any side or back windows that I thought would be crucial for natural light and not feeling cramped. However, when I pulled out into the driveway and popped the wedge, the 3x5 moonroof flipped up into position and presented itself as a full width, eye level window. The camper was flooded with light, and I had a great view out to the mountains, while the space felt totally private and welcoming. Here's a shot to give you a sense of the effect...

Moonroof = Light + Views + Privacy.png

Thanks again to everyone for the interest, encouragement, and ideas! We're finally seeing a move towards spring here in Wyoming, so I should have more opportunities to capture the rig in action as we get outside and practice safe social-distancing. Until then, here's the camper weathering a storm with 200-300 lbs of wet snow on the roof... I'm ready for summer...

Spring in WY.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles