Dometic PLB40 Reviews

Swiftone

That Powerwerx cable uses the red/black Anderson connector which isn’t compatible with the PLB40. I’ll just make my own ... no big deal, but odd that Dometic doesn’t offer one. Thanks.

They will make any cable you want. See my second link after my edit - super easy to order or just call them.

I just did a quickie/test order with MC4 and SB 50 and it came out to $15.33.

Custom DC Power Cable Configurator
  • Design your own custom cable. We build & ship it to you.
  • Specify your connectors, length, gauge and other options
  • Calculate the price in real time as you design, then add it to your cart
  • Save and recall previous custom cables in your account or by cable ID
Recall a Saved Custom Cable
Cable ID Recall
1Left Connector:
MC4 Solar (Female Positive)+ $3.99
2Cable Gauge, Type and Length:
10 gauge Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Wire 600V, 1 ft. 0 in.+ $1.36
3Right Connector:
50 Amp SB Series Powerpole Connector+ $3.99
4Right Connector Options:
Gray+ $0.00
5Review and Add to Cart
Total $15.33
pv-10.png
MC4-FP.png
SB50gray.png

Review Your Custom Cable Details
  • Left Connector: MC4 Solar (Female Positive)
  • Cable: 10 gauge Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Wire 600V, 1 ft. 0 in.
  • Right Connector: 50 Amp SB Series Powerpole Connector, Gray
Cable length is measured as the cut length before assembly and may vary up to 3%. Custom cable products are unique assembles and therefore are non-cancelable, non-returnable.
$15.33
Availability: Components In Stock

Related Products

dman93

Adventurer
They will make any cable you want. See my second link after my edit - super easy to order or just call them.

I just did a quickie/test order with MC4 and SB 50 and it came out to $15.33.

Custom DC Power Cable Configurator
  • Design your own custom cable. We build & ship it to you.
  • Specify your connectors, length, gauge and other options
  • Calculate the price in real time as you design, then add it to your cart
  • Save and recall previous custom cables in your account or by cable ID
Recall a Saved Custom Cable
Cable ID Recall
1Left Connector:
MC4 Solar (Female Positive)+ $3.99
2Cable Gauge, Type and Length:
10 gauge Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Wire 600V, 1 ft. 0 in.+ $1.36
3Right Connector:
50 Amp SB Series Powerpole Connector+ $3.99
4Right Connector Options:
Gray+ $0.00
5Review and Add to Cart
Total $15.33
pv-10.png
MC4-FP.png
SB50gray.png

Review Your Custom Cable Details
  • Left Connector: MC4 Solar (Female Positive)
  • Cable: 10 gauge Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Wire 600V, 1 ft. 0 in.
  • Right Connector: 50 Amp SB Series Powerpole Connector, Gray
Cable length is measured as the cut length before assembly and may vary up to 3%. Custom cable products are unique assembles and therefore are non-cancelable, non-returnable.
$15.33
Availability: Components In Stock

Related Products
Thanks, that’s actually easier and perhaps even cheaper than making my own.And with 10 gauge I’d probably go longer than 1 foot. Thanks again for checking this out!

Mpl1978

I just purchased the plb40 along with the Overland 120 watt bugout solar package. Now it is time to get a fridge. I have an '04 LX470 with stock battery. While driving, I plan to use the rear cigarette lighter to power the fridge, then when I turn car off, go with the plb40 and supplement with solar. I see some PLB40 paired with the ARB reviews, but anyone have an experience with any other fridges and the PLB40. I suppose I need to get the most efficient fridge to get the most from the battery setup, but I dont want to spend anymore than I have to.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I just purchased the plb40 along with the Overland 120 watt bugout solar package. Now it is time to get a fridge. I have an '04 LX470 with stock battery. While driving, I plan to use the rear cigarette lighter to power the fridge, then when I turn car off, go with the plb40 and supplement with solar. I see some PLB40 paired with the ARB reviews, but anyone have an experience with any other fridges and the PLB40. I suppose I need to get the most efficient fridge to get the most from the battery setup, but I dont want to spend anymore than I have to.
I have run the ARB 47L from it and I have also run the Dometic CDF 18 L from it and the PLB was still at 65% after 44.5 hours when set at 2*c, Thing is the PLB only has to keep things powered through the night because you can charge it via Solar or the Vehicle lighter socket when you are awake, In colder climates it will power the ARB for about 3 or 4 days but in normal temps it will power the ARB for about 2 days also you can use it and charge it all at the same time,

dman93

Adventurer
So I received my Dometic CFX 35 and my PLB40. I precooled the fridge to 37°F and charged the battery on AC, then plugged the fridge into the PLB. After 24 hours, at an ambient high 50’s to low 60’s F, the PLB has over 70% charge remaining. So about 3+ days battery life, , this with a mostly empty fridge (one 6-pack) and the Dometic cover on the fridge.

Last edited:

Swiftone

So I received my Dometic CFX 35 and my PLB40. I precooked the fridge to 37°F and charged the battery on AC, then plugged the fridge into the PLB. After 24 hours, at an ambient high 50’s to low 60’s F, the PLB has over 70% charge remaining. So about 3+ days battery life, , this with a mostly empty fridge (one 6-pack) and the Dometic cover on the fridge.

That is close to what I get with a Bioenno 40 ah LiFep04 battery and a CFX 28 w/cover. Need to run the same test with my CF 35.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So I received my Dometic CFX 35 and my PLB40. I precooked the fridge to 37°F and charged the battery on AC, then plugged the fridge into the PLB. After 24 hours, at an ambient high 50’s to low 60’s F, the PLB has over 70% charge remaining. So about 3+ days battery life, , this with a mostly empty fridge (one 6-pack) and the Dometic cover on the fridge.
Yeah that's about what the ARB is doing, Their is no way would I want a lithium system built in the truck, I much prefer the portability of the PLB 40, The freedom to move it from A to B is the way to go.

camodog

Adventurer
How do you guys strap down your PLB40 for trailriding? That seems to be the only downside from me pulling the trigger on one. I am finally converting from cooler and like what I am hearing about the plb40 and fridge w/solar combos

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So I received my Dometic CFX 35 and my PLB40. I precooled the fridge to 37°F and charged the battery on AC, then plugged the fridge into the PLB. After 24 hours, at an ambient high 50’s to low 60’s F, the PLB has over 70% charge remaining. So about 3+ days battery life, , this with a mostly empty fridge (one 6-pack) and the Dometic cover on the fridge.

On the Highways I just sit it on the floor Or you can strap it to the middle rear seat using the Lap seatbelt, But if you are going to hit the trails then Just srap it down with a 1" Ratchet strap, Remembering to run the strap over the top of the handle that way it keeps the strap clear of the On/Off Button and the Info Screen,

Hope that helps, (y)

camodog

Adventurer
Perfect, I was worried that you couldn’t run a strap over the top. It is weird they didn’t incorporate tie down locations when designing it though. Good feedback for a 2nd gen release imo

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Perfect, I was worried that you couldn’t run a strap over the top. It is weird they didn’t incorporate tie down locations when designing it though. Good feedback for a 2nd gen release imo
Just a Tip, Another thing you want to do is While you are running your fridge during the day, Plug the PLB in to your Cigar lighter socket using it's Cigar/Anderson Lead with the fridge plugged into the PLB because then the PLB stays topped up all day while the fridge gets power too and then it only has to power the fridge at night and then it won't take long to top up the PLB the next day while you are Wheeling, Ok.

Hope that helps.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor

This is great feedback and I'll be passing it along to the team. (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

dman93

Adventurer
Just a Tip, Another thing you want to do is While you are running your fridge during the day, Plug the PLB in to your Cigar lighter socket using it's Cigar/Anderson Lead with the fridge plugged into the PLB because then the PLB stays topped up all day while the fridge gets power too and then it only has to power the fridge at night and then it won't take long to top up the PLB the next day while you are Wheeling, Ok.

Hope that helps.
So I finally took a trip with my PLB40 and CFX35 fridge. Connected them as @67cj5 wrote above, fridge on a platform behind the driver’s seat and battery on the floor. The small size of the PLB is really convenient in my Tacoma. Three days camping in Death Valley without starting the truck, yeah it’s winter so nighttime temps were low but probably hit 70°F or more inside the closed up truck, while we were out hiking. The PLB had about 25% charge left when we started up to drive home. I had the fridge temp set at 37°F I think. I’m happy ?

camodog

Adventurer
I received my PLB40 last night!
I hooked it up to AC and plugged my National Luna 52 (empty) via dc.

Charged the battery to 100% and then disconnected battery from AC.

I will report back on the battery run time on an empty fridge.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I received my PLB40 last night!
I hooked it up to AC and plugged my National Luna 52 (empty) via dc.

Charged the battery to 100% and then disconnected battery from AC.

I will report back on the battery run time on an empty fridge.

Good stuff, just remember don't go below 20%, meaning you can use 80% of it's power to preserve the long life of the PLB, Yeah ? (y)

I have loaded up the Camper/MPV with both of mine and I am going to see how I get on with using the 2 of them as my main power source,

Fingers crossed, But I am sure they will do all I ask of them with the fridge etc.

Good luck with your test,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles