Help me narrow it down: retail trailer edition

Out of the three, based on our wants, what would you pick?

• Escape 17A

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Escape 19

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Trailmarker Up&Out

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Grassland

I drove up to the Escape factory in BC last year. They looked good for a trailer offering all the basics. I've also spoke with some local owners in Oregon who were very happy with them. One of the things I did not care for was how they have some of the "plumbing" hanging exposed below the belly. Placement varies according to the model. While one is most likely not going to be rock crawling with a rig like this, I still don't like it. I much prefer stuffing it away under a belly pan the way they did on my 49 year old Airstream. Having said that, I'd seriously consider an Escape if I decide to sell the Airstream. I've also seen an Oliver. Nice trailer but even heavier and way more $$. While not has refined as the Oliver, the Escapes seem like a better value. It will be interesting to see what Escape will be offering for an "off road" package. I'll be surprised if it's more than different tires and increased clearance like most manufacturers are offering.

I really dont want to deal with black tanks, but Im sure my wife will overrule me. The 17A doesn't have low hanging plumbing to catch!
Id just do the already offered axle lift, and then put larger tires on myself. I can't see them offering anything special. UNLESS they offer a beefed up frame version. In any case, rough gravel and dirt roads or a grassy field is the worse thing we want to drag a trailer along.

TGK

On the Trailmarker, I also did not notice the tongue/frame issue. I interacted with them a bit in early 2019 about a potential build and then had to postpone for a variety of reasons. I contacted them again recently and sent a detailed e-mail regarding a potential build with questions about customization (which they say they are open to). That was 2+ weeks ago and they never responded. Trailmarker appears to be a small piece of Rolling Star manufacturing, a fairly large trailer company. At this point, if they aren't responding, I don't see the point in pushing it.

dreadlocks

wow holy ********, I can grab one of those terrible Nobo's for <$14k new old stock pretty easy, ive seen em used 1 season for like nothing locally.. I can also find decent LT's in that size for ~$100 USD, your already gonna need 3.. so dont count that as extra cost, only +2 tires.. which is like $200-$400 extra every 6-8y, not enough that on a $40k+ trailer you should be sweating it as extra maintenance.. if the whole interior dont rattle its self apart in the next decade your probably ahead of the game .

hscoots

Found this nugget in escape forum:
"Randy, the ETI Ambassador, brought the demo 17b to the Quartzsite gathering. He was talking about changing the suspension on the demo to a Timbren setup and possibly heading to a more off-road version. He was the guy that was involved in designing the off-road tear drop that is a part of KV the parent company, so he is a very capable person to look at going to a more off-road version Escape. It could be another interesting path for ETI in the future. "

Alloy

Alloy, We would be getting dual batteries and at least solar prep on any trailer.
Not sure about fixed roof solar panels as I'd like to park in the shade.

To give you all an idea how bad we get hosed for things in central Canada (we are thousands of miles from any manufacturer) I'll post what the local OSB and caulk manufacturers crap goes for

I really dont want to deal with black tanks, but Im sure my wife will overrule me. The 17A doesn't have low hanging plumbing to catch!

We always bought used except for 1 new that was at dealer cost when the oil prices dropped.

If the heater is running 2-6V won't give you much time.

RV solar prep is the same quality as the staple and caulk construction. Something I'd do myself.

Once there's a grey tank to dump I don't see much difference in adding a black tank. My $.0002 it's easier (with more capacity) than dumping a cassette but we never had a trailer with low plumbing.

Two years ago I talked to Escape about buying the box and building an off road frame myself for a 5.0 ( which is the same overall tow length as the 17' ). I've decided a camper is better. On service road and campsites backing, turning around (unless the trailer can be turned by hand) is more of an issue than height.

Won't be surprised if the new Escape owners create a standard built to streamline production and set up a dealer network.... then prices go up.

Grassland

Typically the heater is only used for a short while on really cold mornings so my wife can get out of bed and get dressed. We don't use it to keep a minimum temperature in the camper.

Even though an Escape or Trailmarker is more insulated than our pop up, the furnaces are not efficient.

As far as buying used is concerned, the nearest used Escape is typically 12+ hours away from me and sells quickly.
We have been buying used pop ups for 4-6k. New pop ups are 12-23k locally. As for how they are built they should be 4-6k new...
Pop ups hold value better than large travel trailers around here, I think because you don't need a dedicated tow vehicle for most of them.

dreadlocks

There is a good thing about traveling to pick up your trailer, you gotta try it out right away.. Ive gone across the country many times to pickup a vehicle or my trailer.. throws you right into the fire so to speak.. I put a deposit down on my inTech and then drove across country to get it.. the money I saved was tremendous and worth the trip.. I did same thing w/my Audi, I bugged the lady who sold it to me 3x on the way home asking how to use stuff because I literally hopped in it and headed home w/out having a chance to RTFM.

Alloy

Typically the heater is only used for a short while on really cold mornings so my wife can get out of bed and get dressed. We don't use it to keep a minimum temperature in the camper.

Even though an Escape or Trailmarker is more insulated than our pop up, the furnaces are not efficient.

As far as buying used is concerned, the nearest used Escape is typically 12+ hours away from me and sells quickly.
We have been buying used pop ups for 4-6k. New pop ups are 12-23k locally. As for how they are built they should be 4-6k new...
Pop ups hold value better than large travel trailers around here, I think because you don't need a dedicated tow vehicle for most of them.

I think there's a fiberglass RV forum that has classifieds.

Installing a Propex furnace was one of the best thing I've done...My guess is the Propex is 20% more efficient than a RV furnace which are 60% efficient.....40% of the electricity and propane is wasted. A 95% efficient household furnaces os $250 more than a RV furnace....shows how cheap manufactures make RVs.

Grassland

I think there's a fiberglass RV forum that has classifieds.

Installing a Propex furnace was one of the best thing I've done...My guess is the Propex is 20% more efficient than a RV furnace which are 60% efficient.....40% of the electricity and propane is wasted. A 95% efficient household furnaces os $250 more than a RV furnace....shows how cheap manufactures make RVs.
I'm in the HVAC industry, so I assure you I understand.
When I see pricing for some mass produced RV stuff (and the RV market is very monopolized, an oligopoly at best) I think to myself "Jesus a commercial grade through the wall package unit is cheaper than that RV roof Mount that is loud and inefficient.

Grassland

have you considered buying a copycat black series trailer off of alibaba? probably made at the same factories.
No.
Black series never tickled my fancy. Heavy, expensive and full of stuff I don't want. Don't seem to be built very well either.
Perhaps a severely reduced in price unit might work but I'd have to see the price point to bring in a knock off.

PSea

No.
Black series never tickled my fancy. Heavy, expensive and full of stuff I don't want. Don't seem to be built very well either.
Perhaps a severely reduced in price unit might work but I'd have to see the price point to bring in a knock off.
My dominator was 3200# dry. I think that was close to your goal. They have smaller too.
Not expensive if you either buy used or check alibaba for similar units at a 1/3rd the price of a new one.
Not sure what "stuff" you're referring to: slide out kitchen w/ 3 burners, sink & 30+ gal of water is pretty much it. There's additional rooms (annex) but those are optional.

Don't get me wrong. I've had some problems that are being worked out (none major; corporate personell is very unimpressive) but no issues w/ build quality at all other than a zipper and mine's a few years old...

good luck!

Quiero_acampar

Have you looked at the offerings from TAXA? The Cricket or Mantis might be up your alley. The wood used looks to be quality ply and not pressboard. Mantis is 19ft I believe, but the Cricket is 15ft and has a lot going for it. It was their first model and has had more time for them to work out kinks.

Grassland

Have you looked at the offerings from TAXA? The Cricket or Mantis might be up your alley. The wood used looks to be quality ply and not pressboard. Mantis is 19ft I believe, but the Cricket is 15ft and has a lot going for it. It was their first model and has had more time for them to work out kinks.
Have looked at Mantis. Wife wasn't thrilled but I liked it, until I hear about durability issues when used on rough roads. Frame issues, body panel issues. And leaks on the early Mantis where the pop up roof latches.
The concept is neat. I think of they beefed up the construction some they could go somewhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94