Ford Superduty Tremor "off road" 2020 F250/F350.

Klutch7

Kaisen

Explorer
I like the AT4 HD, but the limited-slip rear end, which I have in my 1500, leaves a bit to be desired, the hump in the floor in the backseat, lack of 10 speed, less powerful engine, and the lack of adaptive cruise control are knocks against it.

GM uses a locking rear differential, not a limited slip per se. The G80 locker used in the 14 bolt AAM full floater (3/4 ton and 1 ton) are fairly bulletproof compared to the 1/2 ton version.

I wish the 6.6L gasser came with the 10 speed Allison, but the 6L90e is quite proven (14 years old now) and is generally a good match to the engine. Please, please GM give us a more powerful gas option in HD trucks. Right now, it's 464 lb-ft gas and 910 lb-ft diesel... no in between. Supercharge the 6.6L (2.3L LT4 or 2.65L LT5 supercharger bolts right on, no issues) or bring back the 8.1L in 8.8L form (PSI still makes the GM 8.8L for school buses and industrial engines). I like diesel for towing really heavy loads, but hate it in daily use (I own two Duramax and a few gassers).

The 7.3L gasser with the 10 speed is an unbeatable combo right now

Klutch7

GM uses a locking rear differential, not a limited slip per se. The G80 locker used in the 14 bolt AAM full floater (3/4 ton and 1 ton) are fairly bulletproof compared to the 1/2 ton version.

I wish the 6.6L gasser came with the 10 speed Allison, but the 6L90e is quite proven (14 years old now) and is generally a good match to the engine. Please, please GM give us a more powerful gas option in HD trucks. Right now, it's 464 lb-ft gas and 910 lb-ft diesel... no in between. Supercharge the 6.6L (2.3L LT4 or 2.65L LT5 supercharger bolts right on, no issues) or bring back the 8.1L in 8.8L form (PSI still makes the GM 8.8L for school buses and industrial engines). I like diesel for towing really heavy loads, but hate it in daily use (I own two Duramax and a few gassers).

Before I bought my 2019 Tahoe, I was hunting for a GMT800 2500 Suburban with the 8.1L. My personal opinion is that was peak Suburban. The 6l90 is a stout transmission, have had two with no issues and over 200k on one in my 2009 Tahoe (lowered like a PPV tahoe and driven like one, maybe harder...) without issue. But the 10-speed seems to keep the Ford in the power band very well.

While a Whipple on the 7.3 or a take-off Eaton on one of the GM motors would be awesome, it defeats some of the purpose for me - ability to run on 87 octane, warranty coverage, etc. At least I'll have a few years to save up for one while the truck is still under warranty!

Littlehouse

Adventurer

True. I guess it's a limited-slip locker? No selectability, but locks up when you get wheelspin. Mine saved my butt on an icy driveway once, but I'd like to step it up quite a bit from that off-road.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The auto lockers are good for most people who don't want to learn what switches/buttons do. I like my G80 but it would probably get annoying on extended trail use, waiting for it to kick in.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 7.3 is a powerful engine....that is pretty detuned from the factory. It has a looot of room for improvement should one choose to make a true monster out of it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Problem with the g80 is accidental wheelspin kicking it in, when your 6.6 or 7.3 is making decent power. Then it explodes like a grenade. It's way better than nothing, but should be replaced by a real locker for regular off road use.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I've extensively driven gas one tons, the Ram 6.4, Ford 6.2, and chevy 6.0... And frankly hated all of the gutless wonders. I just drove a 7.3 and absolutely loved it. Colour me impressed. I'd buy a non tremor and do a Carli kit, but i'm seriously considering one for my next truck.

Klutch7

I've extensively driven gas one tons, the Ram 6.4, Ford 6.2, and chevy 6.0... And frankly hated all of the gutless wonders. I just drove a 7.3 and absolutely loved it. Colour me impressed. I'd buy a non tremor and do a Carli kit, but i'm seriously considering one for my next truck.

Thought about this route as well going with the most basic XL possible, but then they took away the manual transfer case shifter and some other changes. Think the Tremor still is the best bang for the buck with a front LSD under warranty coverage, and a 2.5" pintop system and some 37" tires can still be thrown on along the way.

Kgorman

Observer
So many haters on here.. while y’all complain I’ll be out getting her muddy and pinstriped...

I wanted to replace my 6.0 CC LB with something new, but nothing really inspired me. Did the carli kit on the 6.0 - kept it as a chase truck/tow rig and didn’t compromise it’s capacity or towing. I know how I need my trucks setup - they have to do a lot. Essentially weekday driver, family rig, home improvement tank, desert race chase truck, Texas woods and ranch runner, tow 5k-7k routinely over landing fire road and rough trail rig including potentially towing a turtleback.

Tremor came stock ready for all that. 7.3 with 4.30 lariat. So far smitten. I will say I am hoping I ruin these tires so I can get some KM3 or Open Country MT.

I need a pro eagle jack mount, 2m radio, rear dust light, tools and other goodies for it. I’ll add the factory winch when it’s out.

45F014B0-574A-4F34-BE02-36EC006F7BC2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles