Sprinter 4WD Conversion Idea, GMT-800 IFS.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Slowly coming together. I am not sure where I will put the reservoir. Need to get a tire mounted to see what clearance is like. It may be easiest to mount directly above the shock.

The engine is attached. Its a bit higher than originally. Which is probably good given the diff clearance.

I might need to remove a bit more material. Just depends on what angle I need on the pinion.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Still chipping away. I can't seem to find a couple of bolts, so couldn't finish off the drivers side. Wheel positioning looks good. I should be able to fit a slightly larger tire if I want. I was considering 265/60R16 or maybe 265/75. offset puts the tire outside the body a couple inches or so. Looks like some flares will be needed. Not terribly attractive, but necessary I think.

Left to do.
Finish up torquing down the drivers side
Make brake lines and bleed
wire up the speed sensors
torque down all the diff fasteners
buy and mount tires.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I had to call it a day early, started snowing... I probably won't be able to test drive until next weekend unfortunately.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The easy brake line is done. Still thinking about the passenger side. My options are to traverse the rear subframe crossover, or go along the front bumper support and through the wheel well. Both are may require a union. Despite it being more difficult, the engine bay is probably the best option.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is an ever-so-slight indent from my bender. But as Anton2k3 says, it looks a lot deeper due to the permanent marker.

I got the other side made. Still need a few more P clamps, and some rubber insulation in a few spots. I did a leak check, and other than needing to re-torque one fitting, it seems to be leak free. I got about 95% of the air out, I might need to hook up my vacuum rig.

I decided on 265/70R16 tires, and ordered a set, should get those mounted up next Wednesday.

Remaining items
  • Wire speed sensors
  • Secure power steering line (it currently rubs against the oil pan)
  • Alignment (I will just order DIY tool)
  • Test drive

Alloy

If only they weren't 2,000 miles away! ha!

I had 20" wheels for our F350 shipped from Texas to Washington. Called a local UPS for a packing shipping quote then had the seller take them to UPS. Once the person at UPS told me he had the rims I sent the seller a payment through Paypal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles