2017 Ford F150 (not too crazy and not too sparse = just right)

RBA

Adventurer
Hi Gents,

I haven't checked this thread in a while and didn't realize there was further interest in the truck and my grammar. ;) I'm an immigrant who attended NYC public schools so I'm only partially to blame.

The two changes I've made are related to the RTT and wheels . I've decided that I didn't like the Tepui tent on the F150 with the Leitner rack. It was a slow and awkward process to get the tent setup and packed up. Do to the height of the truck plus the rack, I had to climb like a monkey around the bed to undo zippers, cover, window poles, etc. The whole process took too long and I realized that I didn't enjoy setting up the tent or using the ladder. I'm currently using a shiftpod tent instead. I find it much more convenient. As far as the wheels, I went with 17inch icon wheels. It allowed me to have some more sidewall. So I'm running 33 inch BFG AT/KO's.

I'm also seriously considering a trailer now that the whole family wants to join on my trips. When it was just me, it was easy to pack and fit everything with room to spare. With my wife and 2 kids, I feel like I'm maxing out the bed and at each stop I have to unpack too much to make lunch or setup a mini camp for a break. A good trailer will help me have everything in its place and easily accessible.

We will see...C8C4BB12-FCF6-4C42-98BB-EAC5810B0D23.jpeg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Good looking truck. I like the 17" wheels. When you say trailer, are you referring to a holiday trailer or a utility trailer just to be able to carry more gear?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
* Fridge mounting - I'm assuming it's in the cab. Did you go with a slide? I have an ARB Elements fridge that may not work on a slide - may end up just using a mounting bracket, but need to look at options on the interior to bolt it down. I'm leery of any drilling requirements.

If in the cab, mount it just behind the drivers seat facing outward. Open door, fridge is there for easy access, BOOM, zero need for fancy expensive, rattling slide.

I had mine mounted like this for 4 years and zero issues. Easy, simple, no maintenance access.

dasadab

Great write up. I have a 2018 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 and am thinking of using it as a tow vehicle for a trailer. 4” of lift would be fine, I think. I have to draw a reasonable compromise between using it as a daily driver in LA (with low parking structures) and ground clearance. I would also love to improve driving comfort on our horrible roads. I place about 300 lbs of ballast in the bed to smooth things out.

Having said the above, I wonder if an F150 Crew Cab is just to wide and long for a lot of the trails that my little 2 door TJ wrangler can handle with ease. The problem is that the wrangler just can‘t be made comfortable for camping with my spouse and dog.

I am thinking that a trailer, like the Opus, might work out fine behind the F150 and I’ll just a not worry about scratching the hell out of the F150.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts, and particularly about drive comfort with the raised F150.

jbear223

Your truck is almost exactly like mine. I have a 2019 F150, 3.5 EB. Added King ext reservoir shocks front and rear. Icon delta UCA, Deaver +3 in the back. 285/75-17 Wildpeak on Method wheels.
I added the Deavers a month after doing the shocks and while pricey I believe worth it. Better ride and control, truck rides even when loaded with gear.

Grassland

Your truck is almost exactly like mine. I have a 2019 F150, 3.5 EB. Added King ext reservoir shocks front and rear. Icon delta UCA, Deaver +3 in the back. 285/75-17 Wildpeak on Method wheels.
I added the Deavers a month after doing the shocks and while pricey I believe worth it. Better ride and control, truck rides even when loaded with gear.
You have to run different back spacing than stock for the UCA, correct?

crazydubman

IMG_2796-X2.jpg

Very cool setup. It is along the same lines that my 17 will be headed in the next year.

I know you mentioned that this was a KC lightbar but I have been having trouble finding a link for one for a 15-19. KC's website doesn't show anything more than a roof rack setup for lighting.

American trucks has the following listed which looks like yours but it is noted for the 09-14 F150.

Is this the one you purchased? Yours looks great and would love to go this route and keep the factory bumper over going with a replacement bumper.
Thanks

CountryboyNC

Very cool setup. It is along the same lines that my 17 will be headed in the next year.

I know you mentioned that this was a KC lightbar but I have been having trouble finding a link for one for a 15-19. KC's website doesn't show anything more than a roof rack setup for lighting.

American trucks has the following listed which looks like yours but it is noted for the 09-14 F150.

Is this the one you purchased? Yours looks great and would love to go this route and keep the factory bumper over going with a replacement bumper.
Thanks

Ditto, interested as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles