Which Overland Vehicle and Why?

Grassland

I'd consider:

Ram 1500 3.6 ETorque 4x4 quad cab (6.5 box or whatever it's exact length) with steepest gearing available and factory locker or LSD, whatever is available. With tow package. With the larger fuel tank, run a 33" tire and skid plates. 1.5"-2" front level kit.
F150 3.3 4x4 supercab with 3.73 and factory e locker. The largest factory fuel tank I am aware of at 36 us gallon/136 liters. With tow package. 33" tire and skid plates. 1.5-2" front level (Or the 2.7 EcoBoost if you live or travel at elevation or intend to tow 5000# or more on a regular basis)

Either of those trucks swapped to a crew cab Short box if you want more sitting room and less gear room, but keeps same outer dimensions.
Whatever volume trim is the best deal. XLT in Ford, probably STX for Ram but I don't know Ram as well.

F250 6.2 gas 4x4 supercab with 6.75' box. Again nice giant gas tank. Comes with 33s, e locker, tow package. Can put larger tires on without needing a lift. Can have 4.30 gears from factory so no need to regear if you want to go larger tire (as long as you don't need full listed payload/towing)
This is about the same footprint as a half ton.
(If you go crew cab 6.75' box you get longer, and you can have all the room in the world and have an 8' box too if you want to drive something that ridiculously long.)

Would be interesting to see the next version of the Ranger, and see if Ford ever releases some specs for the supposed returning Bronco.

Real world price for F150 is always comparable to real world price of similar Ranger. If the Ranger was lighter and built of aluminum as the F150 is I'd consider it. But right now weighs almost the same, costs as much, but is smaller.

phsycle

Adventurer
Real world price for F150 is always comparable to real world price of similar Ranger. If the Ranger was lighter and built of aluminum as the F150 is I'd consider it. But right now weighs almost the same, costs as much, but is smaller.

It's kind of surprising Ford didn't go aluminum with the release of the Ranger. Probably because they were already producing the same body panels in steel already elsewhere in the world. Maybe the next gen, we'll see a switch (if sales pick up). I think I could make the ranger work, if it had 4" of more legroom in the back for the kids. But then again, at that size, you've then got yourself an F150, essentially.

85_Ranger4x4

It's kind of surprising Ford didn't go aluminum with the release of the Ranger. Probably because they were already producing the same body panels in steel already elsewhere in the world. Maybe the next gen, we'll see a switch (if sales pick up). I think I could make the ranger work, if it had 4" of more legroom in the back for the kids. But then again, at that size, you've then got yourself an F150, essentially.

It would have required a complete redesign of the truck to make it in the thicker, harder to form and more expensive material. Probably requiring do more to the frame than they already did too.

billiebob

I'm betting aluminium is a short lived experiment.
At the very least the collision repair business is not capable of dealing with aluminium.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Salt belt has waited for aluminum, for ages. It's here to stay. Lack of aluminum and a gas engine that I liked, was a deal breaker for me when I tested the Dodges in '17. I'll bet that they fix that in the near future.

Fiberglass was the failed experiment. I expected plastic hoods, fenders, and door skins would be more popular. Maybe combining that with an Al cab and bed......

Grassland

Salt belt has waited for aluminum, for ages. It's here to stay. Lack of aluminum and a gas engine that I liked, was a deal breaker for me when I tested the Dodges in '17. I'll bet that they fix that in the near future.

Fiberglass was the failed experiment. I expected plastic hoods, fenders, and door skins would be more popular. Maybe combining that with an Al cab and bed......

I kind of miss Saturn. They had to stop using plastic panels because it cost too much to make them. Without the plastic doors etc they were just another Chevrolet or Pontiac

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I kind of miss Saturn. They had to stop using plastic panels because it cost too much to make them. Without the plastic doors etc they were just another Chevrolet or Pontiac
Actually after working for Saturn the plastic panels had issues, the foam formed engine parts had issues too. The plastic panels broke in cold climates usually where the clips held the panel dealers were constantly painting new panels and replacing them. Got expensive so it made sense to simply use normal metal skins. Honda had production capacity to make more engines so Saturn switched to Honda engines.

Then Saturn needed new models and Opel had vehicles that fit in to the Saturn scope so they brought over Opel cars.

billiebob

I tend to link light weight with capable. The Trablant is one of the worlds lightest vehicles. Here are 2 crossing the Sahara.
Note how they just lift the car to place the traction mat.

jadmt

ignore button user
Actually after working for Saturn the plastic panels had issues, the foam formed engine parts had issues too. The plastic panels broke in cold climates usually where the clips held the panel dealers were constantly painting new panels and replacing them. Got expensive so it made sense to simply use normal metal skins. Honda had production capacity to make more engines so Saturn switched to Honda engines.

Then Saturn needed new models and Opel had vehicles that fit in to the Saturn scope so they brought over Opel cars.
living in Montana I would see a lot of Saturns with shattered body panels lol.

nickw

Adventurer
Agreed it does sound like the next version based on the new Bronco will be very Life Style designed and probably more exciting to the American buyer. Tho I suspect load capacity will not get higher and will likely be lower with more performance/ trail capabilities focus.
Exactly why I took the plunge on the current one....I was concerned that the next iteration would be dumbed down and smoothed over, with less payload and more gizmos....

nickw

Adventurer
If I had a dedicated overland rig, for non-technical type overlanding, easy decision for me:
New Ford F350 XL 4x4
Supercab
7.3 Gas Engine
Factory 4.30 gears
Factory locking rear diff
Factory camper / HD suspension package
Factory HO alternator
Factory dual battery
OEM steel wheels
35" tires - pick your poison
FWC decked out

Could easily go to a std. cab and get the 8' bed for a bit of extra camper space....

Full factory warranty, full support anywhere in the US/CA and parts of Mex. Base truck price of ~$40k, call it $45k with a few goodies....with camper, your still less than $90k, which is a CHUNK less than any of the sprinters.

Could forgo the FWC for a nice fit out shell and get the price down sub $60k.

Kaisen

Explorer
"Overlanding" means so many different things to different people that it's next to impossible to arrive at any definitive answers by polling a diverse group of enthusiasts. It depends on how you will use it, where you will use it, and which metrics are more important to you than others. There is no "perfect", only the best series of compromises based on your own values and biases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94