Help Me Build A Defender 110 Please

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Rather than build your own Defender, consider buying one from someone who has recently completed a long overland trip. The resale value will never equal the cost of building one, and this way you get one where all the unexpected problems have already been taken care of. I imagine that even with the cost of importing and registering it in the US it will still be cheaper to get something fully outfitted in Europe. Anything older than 1995 will work for you so that gets you all the 200tdi and early 300tdi engine options. Talk to folks like Nene Overland, they have used fully built trucks coming through fairly regularly.
I have a 200tdi in my 110, with a Roamerdrive overdrive, it’s been around North America a few times, both coasts, up north, Baja, etc. Its not particularly quiet or comfy on the interstate but if you take your time and follow the smaller roads it can be a great way to travel.
We added an AT Overland Habitat roof to it a few years ago, now it feels like the Ritz when we camp.

8fde06cb77187260fc2069ab75b8311d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rherl

I have a 200tdi Defender that is a ground up build which is currently for sale, but I am considering the cummins r2.8 in it. The Drive train had about 67000 on it when I started the build. I've a 200tdi and 300tdi they are slow, and stinky but will go nearly anywhere. Stick the Alucab icarus top on and you have a nice start to an overlanding platform. Is it the best overlanding platform? Definitely not. I have looked hard at Roberts conversion and it looks like it will make a nice quite powerful defender, and the only thing you need to do is swap the motor. You can also put on a Holly EFI to make it more reliable. I also really like the R2.8. Doug Crowther has done a lot of work perfecting this swap. But if you do the work yourself it will cost you 13-15K. But you'll have a motor that is a world motor with a 2 year warranty.

Christian.....I just can't seem to get those links to open. Regarding the Defender, there's a lot to my reasoning as to why a Defender but I could change my mind. A few months ago I was in Prescott to look at a FWC and I left thinking that they were way overpriced (compared to my Northern Lite). I'm not even certain that I can get this done with my current lifestyle. I've got a lot of road miles planned for 2020. Ray Hyland is probably correct in just finding one ready to go (although that could be a challenge as well).

Ray.....yep, that may be sound advice.

rherl.....that one actually could be an option. I like the 3 door model for full time living. I was thinking something newer but I'm not sure that even matters. Do you have any more information on what you have available ?

Kgh

Let’s go already!
The 200 and 300Tdi’s are fine engines for touring and off road. Provided they are in good tune. Folks buy a 25 year old Defender, tweak the injection pump (which the previous 3 owners tweaked), maybe do a cam belt (without dial guage timing the pump) and never adjust valves. So must be a crap LR motor. Just get it tuned by a pro, or learn how.

3 door 110 is a good platform. AluCab, X-Vision-X,ExTec, and others make great pop tops. Check out Hesch (photo) for interior builds, or Errol at Custom Campers in the UK.

Chinese Webasto knock offs are great heat sources.

293E6124-8ABF-4A5D-B9E3-8E6C10FA0836.jpeg

We were not full time living in it, but our RHD 300Tdi had about 11K into it, including truck, and did ferry run and 3 weeks in Iceland with no issues.

6BE34802-604A-42A8-98A3-615A2B42C86F.jpeg

(XZL’s replaced with good tires, new fluids all around, new Bilstein shocks, Webasto clone, added Hella lights, Nakatanenga rack and Howling moon RTT)

One can also find fully reworked 200/300 from $100K+ trucks that are getting LS swaps!
20789C69-CABF-4473-BE2A-C9B8FE989ACF.jpeg

Kgh

Let’s go already!
So build what you want how you want, and enjoy.

Mat be beneficial to talk to Stuart Foley at FoleySV. He has built a few legal, importable rigs that folks have used to tour the states with. He may know of one here, and also can refurb trucks.

furbucket

Observer
This looks interesting

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen using Tapatalk

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Jerry - sorry I know I won't make any friends here by saying that but buying a $75000 or $83000 30 years old Defender for a trip to Patagonia seems absolutely crazy to me. Defender were used as overland vehicles because they were cheap to buy, and cheap to maintain. Now they have become collectibles in the USA so that equation does not work anymore.

garrycol

I would have to agree - US prices are completely out of step with prices elsewhere in the world. Hence many of our Australian 110s/Defender/Perentie Landrovers are being purchased at a fraction of the US price and being exported to the US.

furbucket

Observer

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen using Tapatalk

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ray can you access the tent from inside the truck?

No, we opted to go with the Habitat as a roof top tent because I didn't want to cut a giant hole in my roof (Defenders already leak so much, why tempt fate). Plus this way I can shift the Habitat to my RRC in the future if I want to.

I access the tent entrance via the hood.

Cheers

Ray

Bajab

I'm currently looking into purchasing a Defender 110 LHD probably around 1992 to 1995 model. Back in the mid 70's I spent time in one in South America and have always loved the vehicle and now I'm considering a trip south starting October 2020. My current rig which I live in (Northern Lite truck camper) is too big and my truck too new (diesel) so it'll go into storage. I know nothing about selecting kitchen stuff, heating systems, water systems, charging systems, etc.

My budget would be (but not to exceed $100,000) which would include the cost of the vehicle.

This trip will probably be my dog and I only and there is no time limit.

Any links to build sites would be great.

My first question would be any recommendations of companies that you've dealt with that build out Defenders for full time travel ?

My second question would be what would you reccomend to go into the build ? Brand names would be great.

My third question would be disel or gas ? Engine swap or rebuild ?

I have a few ideas of my needs and wants (it's definitely a Defender 110) but I'm curious what educated / experienced people think. I've spoke with 2 builders so far and both asked for a build sheet. I don't have one.

I'm not 100 % positive that I'll do this trip but I'm probably at 60/40 this morning.

Thanks for any input. It's much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles