Help Me Build A Defender 110 Please

I'm currently looking into purchasing a Defender 110 LHD probably around 1992 to 1995 model. Back in the mid 70's I spent time in one in South America and have always loved the vehicle and now I'm considering a trip south starting October 2020. My current rig which I live in (Northern Lite truck camper) is too big and my truck too new (diesel) so it'll go into storage. I know nothing about selecting kitchen stuff, heating systems, water systems, charging systems, etc.

My budget would be (but not to exceed $100,000) which would include the cost of the vehicle.

This trip will probably be my dog and I only and there is no time limit.

Any links to build sites would be great.

My first question would be any recommendations of companies that you've dealt with that build out Defenders for full time travel ?

My second question would be what would you reccomend to go into the build ? Brand names would be great.

My third question would be disel or gas ? Engine swap or rebuild ?

I have a few ideas of my needs and wants (it's definitely a Defender 110) but I'm curious what educated / experienced people think. I've spoke with 2 builders so far and both asked for a build sheet. I don't have one.

I'm not 100 % positive that I'll do this trip but I'm probably at 60/40 this morning.

Thanks for any input. It's much appreciated.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I hope you are ready for a lot of opinions....but you could start by watching this one and reading all the comments:

1580062751212.png

Christian.....yep I'm ready but honestly I'm hoping to hear real world experiences.....what has worked for travelers. As you well know I've pretty much bought off the shelf truck campers and haven't been forced to learn about these things. Please feel free to share any thoughts or ideas as I think that I know that you've been there before. Thanks for the link.

Kevin.....I just replied to your PM. Thank you very much. I'm currently in southern Arizona planning to drive east. I'm able to make detours to meet prospective builders. I plan to stop in Phoenix this week to check Alu Cab (possible option).

JackW

Explorer
Alu-Cab conversion on a 110 - consider putting a Robert Davis Chevrolet six cylinder conversion kit in it. Check those out on defendersource.com

The Robert Davis conversion uses a stock Chevrolet 292 or 250 six cyliner inline engine - you can pick them up for a few hundred dollars and they bolt in with his kit. Parts are available everywhere in North America and they are cheap.
That way you can buy a less than desirable 110 with the four cylinder normally aspirated diesel or gas motors for cheap and swap out the engine to a Chevy six for reliable, smooth power.

The Alu-Cab conversion below is such a great way to go - this one belongs to a friend of mine and I'm jealous as hell - its what I would buy if I was building a 110 - and I've been playing with Land Rovers for 48 years.

SAE18-027.jpg

C p weinberger

TDI 200 and 300 are good Diesel engines.. why do you want to swap it out... The 110 is not made to go faster then the stock engines could take it, it was designed for offroad travel and highway, that makes for compromises. The rattle to death driven too fast but are great when you stay within their limits

TDI 200 and 300 are good Diesel engines.. why do you want to swap it out... The 110 is not made to go faster then the stock engines could take it, it was designed for offroad travel and highway, that makes for compromises. The rattle to death driven too fast but are great when you stay within their limits

If that question was for me - I currently have the rover 3.5 V8 and when I need to replace I will be looking at different options. I do like the Cummins replacement.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Christian.....yep I'm ready but honestly I'm hoping to hear real world experiences.....what has worked for travelers. As you well know I've pretty much bought off the shelf truck campers and haven't been forced to learn about these things. Please feel free to share any thoughts or ideas as I think that I know that you've been there before. Thanks for the link.

Kevin.....I just replied to your PM. Thank you very much. I'm currently in southern Arizona planning to drive east. I'm able to make detours to meet prospective builders. I plan to stop in Phoenix this week to check Alu Cab (possible option).

Jerry - I understand the emotional aspect of the Defender. It's for sure a great way to make friends along the road.

That said, here is my short take on it. If you intend to do the Panam and have undetermined time to do it (which is awesome), my first priority would be to find a vehicle that you are comfortable living in. It can get very hot, very humid, very cold and very windy on that trip - sometimes in the same day.

Drying a roof top tent after torrential rains in Costa Rica can take several days, and sleeping in a roof top tent in Patagonia with crazy wind is no fun.
So if that were me, I would try to find something that you can live in "peacefully".

You also want something that has enough power to climb the high passes, nimble enough to go through all the small streets, good A/C so you are comfortable in your truck, good heat because it gets really cold in some area, and a good night of rest so you enjoy the adventure. And ideally something that fits in a container so you don't spend too much on shipping.

Nothing is perfect, but this is a nice set up in my opinion:

1580160214633.png

Keep in mind that they aren't very many Defender left on the road in Central and South America. Last time I went down to Uruguay I had to bring down a flywheel/clutch kit for my friend in Buenos Aires for his Defender 110. Getting it locally was very expensive, if even possible.

There are many options available, but in my opinion you couldn't go wrong with a Tundra and a Poptop camper. That should be well below your 100K budget.
Really, the only downside I could think of this option is the fuel consumption and the payload is tight.

If you have the chance, watch the South America series of XOverland on Amazon. These guys were camping out every night, and you can see the conditions that they are in - especially the last episodes in Chile/Argentina. There is one night where they have to cook inside the AT Habitat because it's just too cold/windy outside. They were only there for 60 days or so total with a break in the middle - now imagine months of living on the road.

And if you are dead set on a Defender, I totally understand and happy to offer some advices. In that case I would really try to get a pop-top conversion as mentioned earlier.
I would probably start by checking on Mobile.de to get some ideas.

Here is one that's almost old enough to be imported:

1580160255269.png

Here are some newer models:

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

C p weinberger

No, That comment was not meant as a reply to what you had said. It was a general comment on Land Rover diesel engines. I agree with you full stop Regarding replacement of Original gas Land Rover engines. They can be made reliable, but they consume an unbelievable amount of fuel. We met a couple in Botswana driving up from South Africa in the 90s that had just rebuilt their Land Rover With the intention of driving it for an extended trip. They were really depressed because they had thought they were clever to put in the V8 for the power but now they were contemplating returning to South Africa and cutting the trip much shorter because they couldn’t afford the fuel. In general, Landrovers are good candidates for engine swaps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior