Winch; front, rear, both? Fixed or movable?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hard to quantify without any explanation of how and why you travel. Then possibly not applicable to other people's needs.

In 20 years of travel you have never needed to get up a muddy or snowy hill to get where you are going, or get back to a main road? Never needed to get up an obstacle you do not have enough traction to climb? Never? OK fine. But that seems like more a function of what you are doing specifically.

I did not get stuck too often in 20 years of travel either, almost all of which I had no winch. But I also turned around out of precaution and failed to continue on or reach a goal all the time because my biggest concern was to never get stuck. Now I get stuck more because I can easily continue on to my goal/get unstuck which now is more important than never getting stuck. I am willing to try way worse things with the winch than without.

I also think there is a big difference in the mentality of getting stuck/unstuck vs going where you want to go. To me a winch should allow you to get unstuck and allow you to continue. But a rear mounted winch severely limits your ability to continue.

But if the goal were only to get unstuck period you could make more of an argument for a rear winch. I agree when I encounter people randomly in the woods/trail somewhere I can often give them a quick tug backward. Then they usually turn around and go back the way they came though.

Also my number one winch use has been to clear large trees off of trails which would be way more difficult with a rear mounted winch.

But to each their own.

"I also think there is a big difference in the mentality of getting stuck/unstuck vs going where you want to go. To me a winch should allow you to get unstuck and allow you to continue. But a rear mounted winch severely limits your ability to continue."
I think you meant to say "But a rear mounted-ONLY winch severely limits your ability to continue."

Clearing trees ahead of you, if you only had a rear winch; yeah, that'd be more challenging.

Thanks for your feedback all, interesting feedback/experience, keep it coming!

Paredneck

Observer
What is the payload of the F350?

I’m not a mathematician, but I can’t see you possibly being anywhere near having to count pounds if a FWC is going on an aluminum flatbed...

What am i missing?
Probably fine on a newer f350 but my 04 f250 is near or over gvrw. Not sure how anyone can get away with them on the smaller trucks

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What is the payload of the F350?

I’m not a mathematician, but I can’t see you possibly being anywhere near having to count pounds if a FWC is going on an aluminum flatbed...

What am i missing?

4110lbs (10k max GVWR)--on STOCK suspension remember(which is STIIIIIFFFF!).
Is 4110lbs enough? ;)

Agreed. It's called "not wanting to inflate a pig" and foolishly just add this and that to the rig. Knowing how much extra unsprung weight affects wear/tear, reliability, handling, braking, MPG...and how many of these overlanding rigs are pushing 12k-15k easy, I'm always trying to keep added weight to a minimum wherever possible. That means paying extra for aluminum flatbed vs steel, aluminum front bumper vs steel, looking at +4" tire weights, even wheel weights(which are surprisingly heavy, even if the wheels are forged!).

Milamr

From a cost standpoint one winch with a cradle is a winner.
fadc3f5e36147cc5c588c1af764d7dc1.jpg

But really kills your approach angle and not fun to try to put on or move when you are stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
"I also think there is a big difference in the mentality of getting stuck/unstuck vs going where you want to go. To me a winch should allow you to get unstuck and allow you to continue. But a rear mounted winch severely limits your ability to continue."
I think you meant to say "But a rear mounted-ONLY winch severely limits your ability to continue."

Clearing trees ahead of you, if you only had a rear winch; yeah, that'd be more challenging.

Thanks for your feedback all, interesting feedback/experience, keep it coming!

I’d agree with this 20 years when my goal was to be as deep in the right woods as possible in my Jeep.

We are talking small RV size rigs here. You honestly going to be going down trails winching trees out of the way?? :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
4110lbs (10k max GVWR)--on STOCK suspension remember(which is STIIIIIFFFF!).
Is 4110lbs enough? ;)

Agreed. It's called "not wanting to inflate a pig" and foolishly just add this and that to the rig. Knowing how much extra unsprung weight affects wear/tear, reliability, handling, braking, MPG...and how many of these overlanding rigs are pushing 12k-15k easy, I'm always trying to keep added weight to a minimum wherever possible. That means paying extra for aluminum flatbed vs steel, aluminum front bumper vs steel, looking at +4" tire weights, even wheel weights(which are surprisingly heavy, even if the wheels are forged!).

Ahhh... that’s quite a bit lower than I expected.. carry on... :)

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I’ve heard this before, yet I’m left with a question:

Who certifies compatibility of a bumper and an airbag system?

The vehicle manufacturer? The bumper manufacturer? A government entity? Takada?

I would seriously like to know who and how certification takes place and to what standard.

ARB is based in Australia and the bumpers are actually crash tested by the Australian equivalent of the DOT or NHSTA or whoever. Not sure what that amounts to but it does mean that they are actually sacrificing vehicles during the design and certification process.

They aren't the prettiest and they do probably cost some approach angle but I like the Ranch Hand "sport" bumper that is winch compatible. They do stick out but you can ram anything and the corners are higher up than the stock bumper so you can get your tire up on an obstacle that the stock bumper would have hit.

I prefer a single front mounted winch of adequate capacity. That would be 12-16.5k on a super duty. The Warn 12k with 125' of 3/8" cable weighs almost 140 lbs by itself. I think the "semi hidden" mount kit for
my Excursion is about 75 lbs. I guess some extra weight is also added when the stock bumper is pushed forward 5.5" beyond its original position.

If you want to test the portable winch idea, go to Harbor Freight. Get a 9500 winch off the shelf and a winch cradle. Stack 'em up and tote 'em to the front counter. If you still think it's a good idea by the time you get there, go ahead and pay for them. If not, I'm sure the staff will begrudgingly put them back on the shelf for you...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If you want to test the portable winch idea, go to Harbor Freight. Get a 9500 winch off the shelf and a winch cradle. Stack 'em up and tote 'em to the front counter. If you still think it's a good idea by the time you get there, go ahead and pay for them. If not, I'm sure the staff will begrudgingly put them back on the shelf for you...

That’s a hilarious, but perfectly sound and genius point

Paredneck

Observer
From a cost standpoint one wench with a cradle is a winner.
fadc3f5e36147cc5c588c1af764d7dc1.jpg

But really kills your approach angle and not fun to try to put on or move when you are stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a winch. A wench is a pirate
I’d agree with this 20 years when my goal was to be as deep in the right woods as possible in my Jeep.

We are talking small RV size rigs here. You honestly going to be going down trails winching trees out of the way?? :)
the answer is yes.
6851EB46-4DA3-4490-A92A-AC3C44168715.jpeg

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
There are some notable exceptions but in many cases an off the shelf front receiver sticks out right below the center of the bumper. The air dam below the bumper (which is usually removed on an off road type rig if not beforehand by the owner then forcibly by the first time the truck is driven off pavement) is trimmed in the center for clearance.

If you get off the beaten path with this setup it will likely be the reason you are stuck. If the winch isn't already fitted, you will have quite a time excavating a hole big enough to insert the winch into the receiver. If the winch is fitted, you'll be digging the fairlead out of the mud so you can get to the hook. For this reason alone you will find yourself using the rear receiver regardless of what your intended direction of travel is.

A portable winch is more of a liability than an asset for self recovery. The only time I've seen one be useful was in a situation where it was left at the shop to be mounted on whatever vehicle happened to be around in case a recovery became necessary. This winch was fitted with a long set of cables with alligator clamps on the other end. It would often find its way on a 2wd truck or even fitted to a receiver on the trailer to drag a broken rig for a haul back to the shop. In this situation it was always mounted on solid ground at the shop and wasn't carried in the vehicle that might get stuck. It could be mounted on anything with a 2" receiver. Often times the recovery vehicle would be dogged off to a tree to make a pull. Not really applicable for overlanding but it was useful to drag out any dumb kids that buried their trucks in the mud anywhere in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke